1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans select D'onta Foreman, RB, Texas at 3-25

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 28, 2017.

?

What do you think?

1. Love it?

122 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. Like it?

57 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Hate it?

16 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. conquistador#11

If that greek warrior dude from the trojan war couldn't recover, I can't remember his name..how is Foreman supposed to?

many thought Clowney's career was over after the dreaded micro surgery now he's the best DE in the game. Just going to have to wait.
    It's sad though.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Can anyone name an NFL RB who recovered from the injury that Foreman has and came back to play well?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

does dominique wilkins count? he tore it in 1992 at age 32, came back averaging 29 and 26 ppg at ages 33 and 34. Not eggball I know but something is something.

Nook and Houstunna like this.
  4. ballgame

ballgame Member

You are the MOST negative, close minded person I've EVER,EVER, EEEEVER come across....dued, you must have a horrible life!

waytookrzy079 and Fulgore like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@Bobbythegreat tries to keep it real but his real is immensely grim and dreadful no doubt.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The difference.....not many were as young as Foreman is. Youth is everything with some of these injuries.

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

raining threes likes this.
  8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

But will Foreman put in the time and effort during his rehab? I can see him smoking weed all day and getting up to 260 lbs by not watching his diet.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

After some brief research, there haven't been many notable backs that have torn their Achilles surprisingly. Andre Brown, Kendall Hunter and Foster are the most recent but Foster was near the end and Hunter ended up tearing his ACL the season he came back. Brown bounced around but not sure how good he was to begin with.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Torn patellar tendon used to be a career ender too, and now Jimmy Graham's come back from that. ACL used to be a career ender, and not only are they coming back from that, the return window is like 9 months now.

waytookrzy079, leroy and donkeypunch like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL so you are whining about me being realistic about what is likely a career ending or altering injury and stating the facts about the history of that type of injuries for NFL RB's? Fair enough. I guess I could see how a feeble minded person would get triggered by that kind of thing.

raining threes likes this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

smitheygerard likes this.
  13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

essentially

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The Donald Trump of Clutchfans.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture

Only two-thirds of National Football League players ever come back, and those who do find their performance significantly affected. But research suggests a prodromal period may offer opportunities for early intervention.

by Khalid Shirzad, MD; John D. Hewitt, MD; Carter Kiesau, MD; and Selene G. Parekh, MD, MBA

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I don't care to look up this fact so i'll take your word for it. I'll go ahead and add that there's always a first for everything. If Foreman wants to come back bad enough, facts don't count.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That article is from 7 years ago. Again, many advancements have been made on this injury in just the last couple of years. Also, most of the studies done on this for professional athletes only look at the year 1 postoperative success. They don't take into account performance after the 1st year post-surgery.

No Worries likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look, I'm not saying it's impossible, but when a RB ruptures their Achilles you have to assume it's over. Just look at Arian Foster as an example. He bounced back from all sorts of injuries but once he ruptured his Achilles, it was over.

I personally hope he beats the odds and comes back tearing the league up, but you betting on hope is kind of foolish. The assumption should be that he's done as a potential RB of the future and if he shocks the world then you celebrate the awesome story of him overcoming the odds.