1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Ryan Mallett

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Oct 27, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And the sad thing is we are discussing things with a high schooler. I mean, what adult would call himself "thegreat"?

(I do not mean to offend high schoolers by comparing them to him)

1 person likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, keep embarrassing yourself kiddo.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oh, I will.

4. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Let's trade for AJ McCarron ... He's showing more gumption than any of our Merry-go-round options

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He really has looked good thus far which is pretty interesting given how many really good QB's the Denver defense has made look bad

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Mallett vs Hoyer is always going to be debated over and over...but I still dont understand the logic of comparing crap to more crap...Both of these guys are blah...forever destined to be below average...

Mallett is currently playing on an NFL team with nothing to lose...and he personally is trying to repair a broken reputation. Everyone throughout the league sharply criticized is lack of dedication to preparation...His actions warranted being kicked off the team. Nothing he showed made me on the field made me think we lost out on Tom Brady...Hoyer isnt any better, but he has earned the trust of his coaches and his team. And remained a professional even when the Texans benched him after the 1st half of week 1...I cant think of one single person that wouldve handled that well. When he had a chance at redeeming himself vs the Colts...he did and made the most out of that chance, while Mallett had alarm clock issues.

The real credit falls upon the shoulders of coaching that had below average QB have success on game days...NO one questions Mallett's arm strength, but rather the muscle between the ears. No one questions Hoyer's dedication to the team, but rather his inability to move on from a bad play.

In the end, it all falls on the concept of a franchise QB...Sometimes gems are found as a matter of chance/circumstance, sometimes they are clear-cut #1's, and sometimes they have to be slowly introduced to the game... The Texans may not have found that one QB yet, but their ability to formulate a game plan to win even in a mediocre division gives me faith...that when they do get their guy...the sky is the limit. Go Texans...

and I think its time to lock up this thread...Mallett is no longer a Texan.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's really not. No reasonable person attempts to 'debate' it. Only in a tiny corner of this message board is it even still discussed, and that's only because it's apparently hard for posters to get banned here.

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Agreed. He's had a couple amazing passes including the thread the needle pass to green for the TD and showing some mobility. Pleasantly suprised so far

9. Buck Turgidson

Yay for me, I just re-figured-out how to use the ignore list for the first time since the cangrejero invasion of the Stros forum about 6 months ago.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lol cangregero. Forgot about that guy :grin:

11. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do love it when simple minded posters that contribute nothing of substance tell me over and over again about how they are going to ignore me. I mean, sure it adds nothing of substance and simply derails threads, but it's actually preferable to the ridiculous hot takes that you'd normally get from that caliber of poster.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That said, we should get back to talking about football.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Was he banned?

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

No not yet, he just hasn't posted. Probably waiting for Astros first loss of the season.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That might take a while, they are looking pretty good....for a gimmick ball team.

17. Mr. Clutch

Baseball?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of AL rules, never have been. Some day it might not bother me as much, but today isn't that day just yet.

19. Mr. Clutch

Yeah agreed. Not a fan of the AL move at all.

20. Mr. Clutch

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/02/ryan-mallett-ravens-a-better-atmosphere-than-other-places-ive-been/

Ryan Mallett: Ravens a better atmosphere than other places I’ve been

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 2, 2016, 11:49 AM EST
    Ryan Mallett
    AP
    Ravens quarterback Ryan Mallett is coming off a solid game in his first start with the team, and he says he owes his success to having support in Baltimore that he hasn’t always had in the past.

Mallett was effusive in his praise of quarterbacks Matt Schaub and Jimmy Clausen, who went above and beyond in helping him get ready to start after less than two weeks with the team. And Mallett says he hasn’t always had that kind of help from his teammates.

“What Matt and Jimmy did for me meant a lot. I’ve been in quarterback rooms where it’s every man for himself. They didn’t have to be as helpful. You hear things are different in Baltimore, and I was seeing it,” Mallett said.

Mallett didn’t say which quarterback rooms he was referring to, but he’s only been on two other teams, the Patriots and Texans. In New England, there was never any question that Tom Brady was the starter and Mallett was a backup, so it’s hard to see why there would have been any lack of support there. So it’s hard not to see Mallett’s comments as a suggestion that in Houston, he didn’t always have the support of his teammates, who included Brian Hoyer this season and Ryan Fitzpatrick last season.

Of course, given that Mallett was cut by the Texans after repeatedly showing up late to work, perhaps his teammates in Houston had good reason not to be particularly supportive of him.