1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Release Aaron Colvin

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You simply aren't winning many games where you give up 27 points in the 2nd half. Outside of a horrendously out of character decision in the red zone, Drew Brees was pretty much able to do whatever he wanted against our secondary.

Nook likes this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The Saints continuously scored 40 plus points at home last year.

They were always going to play well offensively

stevel likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Makes me think that Colvin was supposed to play up on Ginn on that last play and didn't follow directions.

It's one thing to play badly but another thing to not be in the spot your coach tells you.

Gray_Jay and sammy like this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

And don't forget that they paid another $7M to give away Clowney. What a bunch of clowns...

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe the Texans need to release the man who signed Colvin to this contract, Bob O'Brien?

J.R. likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This can be a very dangerous game if not policed properly. Case in point, BoB wanting to cut Mallett right before gameday after he missed the team flight. The justification is there, especially since it was an ongoing issue with Mallett. But if Smith hadn't stepped in, Shane Lechler would've been our backup QB. At that point, you have actually put your team in a much worse position.

#46 gucci888, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Possible and BoB did make some comments that might indicate that. But it's also the same alignment RAC has used over and over in these situations.

JayGoogle likes this.
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I also heard the coaching staff basically blame the players for what happened on that last play so this makes sense.

JayGoogle likes this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Decent speculation. I think it's running neck and neck with, 'the coaching staff didn't know the Saints still had a timeout, so were trying to prevent a big pass play.' Harder for Colvin to get toasted if he's giving a 7 yd cushion.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It sure seems like, to me anyway, that fans pay way more attention to bad opponents (so they can discount whatever the Texans accomplish) than they do good opponents - UNLESS the good opponents blow the Texans away.

But when it's close - which is all they ever claim they want - it's time to find everything wrong with the Texans, opponent be damned.

The Saints were the #1 seed in the NFC last year. They were an egregiously bad call away from going to the Super Bowl. Drew Brees is a top 10 QB of all-time... Sometimes, the outcome might be as much because of the opponent as it is you.

We can scream all we want about how much the Texans bungled the final drive. But Drew Brees is 3rd all-time with 34 career 4Q comebacks (he trails Tom Brady by 1) - we should maybe not pretend that had the Texans just done what WE wanted them to do that it would've worked. My guess is Brees probably would've found a way.

That doesn't excuse the Texans. I just don't think we should throw out 59:23 of the game so we can rant and rave about :37.

TheFreak, csj, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Pshaw! This is clearly Brian Gaine's doing, and poor BoB is just trying as hard as he can to clean up Gaine's mistakes. It's on him though, and he'll do better from now on to fix all the problems that idiot Gaine left for the team.

Jeez, who could have been dumb enough to recommend that guy as GM?

12. thejav

thejav Member

really liking how aggressive the Texans have been on trying to improve the team. Colvin was horrible, rookie should get some work and should be better than Colvin.

csj likes this.
  13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Look at the coverage. The Texans were playing against hail mary not a quick pass to set up a FG. Not saying Colvin is good but he wasn't the one telling all the DBs to be covering the 25 yard line.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If you look again closely at the play, Colvin was the only one giving that large of a cushion. The other corners came up a lot tighter right before/as the ball was snapped. Whether Colvin was told to play that far back or not on Ginn, who knows.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My guess is since he was burned on a seam route (among other things) earlier in the game, he was in his own head.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Joseph also played off Trequan Smith and Brees had an easy throw to him too if he wanted to. I think Colvin played that far back because of Ginn's speed. Or at least thought Ginn was going to go down the field or something.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#57 J.R., Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Look at the coverage. The other Players covering at the line were about 5 yards off or on the line (up top), Colvin was 7, along with a spy helping on the other side. You then had 3 deep safeties. When the ball is snapped, the 2 DBs and the spy,playing 5 yards off, close on the WRs...eating up the cushion. Colvin backs off...and doesn’t close til after the ball reaches Ginn. He blew the coverage.

Colvin is 2nd from the bottom.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

I saw the coverage. The right side looked like they were playing man. The left side left a whole lot of space. JJo was only a few feet away and that is explainable because he isn't fair anymore. Colvin was the farthest out. I dont necessarily think he should have been cut but him being cut makes me think he didn't do what he was supposed to

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Colvin to Washington