1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans name new GM: Bob O’Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 28, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We also may not know the defensive strategy until then as well, yet you are certain it is changing based on the new hire. Why can't I be as certain as you are about the defense that the offense won't change unless they hire someone different?

Blatz likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So really based on nothing other than that he coached under Ryan as an assistant defensive line coach for one season. He also spent the last 4 years under RAC so he could very well keep with the same. Hell BoB is keeping RAC on to help Weaver run the defense.

I’m not saying you are wrong and sure hope you’re right. But saying they’ll be a system change next season is pure conjecture. Hell BoB may not even allow for a system change with the structure he has set up for Weaver.

#222 gucci888, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    bobrek likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He played under Ryan for 4 years, coached under him for 1. Ex-players who know him have said he has a more of a philosophical mindset that reflects a Rex Ryan-type of defense. I'm not pulling this out of my ass......

Seth C. Payne
    @SethCPayne

I’m very excited about my old teammate Anthony Weaver as DC of the Texans. 1. As a player he really had a grasp of defensive philosophy. Used to love hearing him talk about the way Rex Ryan ran the Ravens defense. 2. There is zero BS with this guy. Players respect that.
    11:50 AM · Jan 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

I guess we don't know until they are on the field.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...we don't what the offense will do. Does he give up the play calling duties to Tim Kelly or does he bring someone else in? Or does he keep it himself? We don't know.

5. bobrek

But why are you able to know what the defense is going to do, yet I'm not able to know what the offense is going to do? The point is...neither one of us knows.

That being said, has the offense significantly changed with O'Brien as head coach since Watson arrived?

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

We know the defense will change because there is a different person in charge of the defense. One thing we do know is O'Brien leaves the defense up to his DC.

We all saw O'Brien had a different offense Watson's rookie year. Year 2, O'Brien did less of the college stuff.....which was a mistake (oline played a part). Year 3...he incorporated the college stuff back in, but was inconsistent on using it week to week. I think the problem was too much on his plate and changing the game plan last minute (from the rumors).

7. bobrek

So, your logic is that the defense will change because a new person in charge (probably true) why can't my logic be that as it stands now, the offense won't change because there is not a different person in charge?

8. gucci888

He is assuming BoB is going to give up play calling duties.

9. bobrek

Am I allowed to assume that Weaver will continue Crennel's schemes?

10. gucci888

Nope. That makes you a bad fan apparently.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  11. gucci888

What do you make of BoB keeping RAC on staff? Mind you that his deal expired so there was no obligation on BoB's part.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is what makes me think next year will be more of the same.

Weaver will probably be the next Mike Vrabel and go on to coach the colts to the Superbowl 3 years from now.....while we still have BOB going 9-7 and getting us blown out in the 1st or 2nd round.

yes, I know Vrabel didn't take the titans to the SB, but you get the gist

Buck Turgidson and J.R. like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

RAC is a football mind. He can be used as an adviser. You can get advise from someone without using their schemes.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No. RAC is an advisor. Weaver can pick his brain while doing his own thing. I guess you guys don't understand an advisor's role. He may help him with by advising game plans and schemes, but it will be Weaver's plan. Having someone with 40 years of defense experience does count for something.

Vrabel was a HORRIBLE D-Coord., but a better head coach.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

We don't know if BoB is giving up the play calling. If he gives up the play calling, there will be a difference. Happens every time that happens. You can assume all you want, but until we know for sure.......it is just speculation.

16. bobrek

Just like your speculation that the defensive schemes will change. Again, why are you allowed to speculate but I am not?

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. You are dense. The defensive scheme will change because they have been changes in the person leading the defense. Weaver has different ideas, according to people who know him. If there wasn't going to be changes, they would have change DCs. The offense hasn't publicly announced anything yet.

18. gucci888

Didn’t count for anything for Vrabel I guess.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well, the DC still has to be able to do his job...lol. The defense turned around the season after Vrabel left and RAC took it back over. It wasn't RAC as an advisor that was failing.

20. bobrek

So then...with that logic....as of today....there has NOT been a change in the person running the offense. Therefore, using your logic, the offense will NOT change.

Also, no guarantee the defensive strategy will change considering Weaver coached and learned to coach under Crennel and Crennel has been asked back to consult the defense.

Blatz likes this.