1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans GM Rick Smith taking extended family medical leave

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Remix, Dec 31, 2017.

1. texian

texian Member

It's time to pray for Tiffany Smith.
    Then it's time to bring in a qualified GM with scouting chops who can run a draft and navigate free agency.

O'Brien's a coach, he's not a GM.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't know, I'm starting to feel that fighting for O'Brien is like fighting for Trump. :D

raining threes likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, perhaps.

Anyway, for the record, I hope he shocks the world and finally becomes the competent coach that some people think he is. I hope to never again see players completely mismanaged, I hope to never again lose games simply because of bad coaching, I hope to see better play calls. I'm simply frustrated by 4 years now of BOB causing the offense to look like crap and always blaming it on his system being too advanced or whatever.

I hope that the Texans bring in a good GM that isn't a BOB hire who will do at least as well as Rick Smith did and I hope that GM will fire BOB's ass if he continues to suck despite being given so much to work with.

I always eventually just hope for the best, but for now I'm going to b**** about the bad situation till I finally just accept it. That was the same thing I had to do when I was having to accept years of godawful QB's that BOB wanted to bring in so I have plenty of experience in doing so by now.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

At least you're a glass half full guy. We both know you can't change the hand you're dealt, but you can lay an assortment of options that benefit you in the long run. We can just sit back hope and pray that Bob cannot only save face, but play his poker face to win overwhelming stack of chips/players

Happy new year Bobby!

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So if the QB was bad, it's BOB's guy. He wanted Savage so we drafted him, he never met Brock but he asked and got him. But Watson, that was only Rick Smith..... Dude, at least try to be fair and consistent when you are pushing your narrative.

9. Fantasma Negro

I have a feeling its going to be Nick Caserio, he and Billy still hang out:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...03/patriots-texans-ties-at-nfl-owners-meeting

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Within 48 hours.....

Harden gets injured. Texans get new GM.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Would you sacrifice Deshaun Watson James Harden if it meant the Astros won the WS Texans got a new GM? - HeyNowRic

;)

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If this new GM has any old Texans ties or friend with Bill OB. I won’t give a damn.

Build a new regime. They run it like they own Brookshire Brothers.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

BOB is going to get "his" GM and if it doesn't work they will both be fired. This should have happened when Kubes was fired but Smith survived because it's what he does.

15. raining threes

I hope that the Texans bring in a good GM that isn't a BOB hire who will do at least as well as Rick Smith did and I hope that GM will fire BOB's ass if he continues to suck despite being given so much to work with.[/QUOTE]

BOB has been given so much?

By who?

The McNairs know who made the decisions and RS is out. That should tell you something. If the McNair's were happy with the job RS was doing then Raye would take over for a year until RS got back. But that's not what's happening. This should tell you who made the roster, Os type personnel acquisition decisions. 11 yrs and 2 different regimes, its been past time to move on from RS.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

GM & Coach from different regimes DOESN'T WORK!!! Need to be hired and fired as a pair so I hope that means BOB gets to pick his guy this time.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’m a bit miffed at this “extended absence” bit. I feel like they are using her battle with cancer to cover up Rick smith being fired for being a 12 year below average GM. But that’s the ol PR spun, TV-Y7, kid gloves we get with this team. And while it invites bad commentary and blue jokes, as being a grown man/pro athlete does, it pulls the sheets over a LOT of eyes getting caught up defending a cancer victim. That’s despicable. That’s worse than if McNair had traded his prison comment for a big fat N bomb.

Add in the horrifying contingency that Rick smith may return as GM. No period on it...

You know, you can put a period on it and still be respectful of all parties involved. It’s easy to be honest and forthright. This underhanded, undefinitive, manipulative shroud of secrecy is a tough gig to pull off.

“We thank Rick smith for his contributions to the organization and look forward to him continuing in the role of VP of personnel. At this time we will begin the search for a new general manager.”

How hard is that? I didn’t even use phrases like, “he kinda sucks at this” or “he’s totally ****ing fired”.

I gotta say, I semi got what I wanted and I’ve never been more disappointed in this team. Not after 2-14. Not after this year. Not after McNair’s embarrassing comments. This is a ****ing low, dirty pool, bush league PR tactic.

18. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Another key is the Time Amount they are given.

One year doesn't seem equitable since Drafts take years to judge. Plus, the first batch all from Rounds 3+.