1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans GM Rick Smith taking extended family medical leave

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Remix, Dec 31, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Rick Smith: 'This isn't a referendum on my tenure, my tenure is not over'

Rick Smith; 'I made a very difficult decision.' His wife, Tiffany, who is battling breast cancer, is here at his press conference.

Rick Smith said his wife, Tiffany, was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of September

Rick Smith: 'It's been very difficult for my family'

Smith: "Family is the most important thing."

Smith: "We are very grateful to the McNair family for the support they have given us."

Smith: "It has been a very difficult season, obviously. There's a lot of work to be done."

Rick Smith: 'It's a very disappointing season, obviously. There's a lot of work to be done. However we decided as an organization to move forward. We have a good football team.'

Rick Smith: 'I am confident that we can right the ship, and we will'

Rick Smith on what will happen while he's on his leave of absence. 'That's not up to me, that's up to Mr. McNair.'

Rick Smith: 'It makes sense to have a complete year that we take off.' Referring to leave of absence time he'll take away from Texans

Texans GM Rick Smith says his time away from the team is "fluid" because his wife's health status and their lives are fluid.

Rick Smith on Deshaun Watson: 'I think the sky's the limit for the young man.'

Rick Smith on his role, said he will maintain his executive vice president job at least following leave of absence, noted that it will be up to Mr. McNair if he wants to hire a replacement as general manager

Rick Smith says he is fine with Bob McNair hiring a general manager while he is on leave. He does expect to return to his role as Executive Vice President even if a new GM is in place. Currently, Smith is both.

Rick Smith said that assistant GM Jimmy Raye was helpful to him and the organization as he cared for his wife

Rick Smith says he'll retain his executive VP title but acknowledged the team could hire a GM in the meantime. This Texans situation remains one to watch right now.

Rick Smith praised entire football operations staff said 'Everybody stepped up'

Rick Smith on Bill O'Brien: 'There's been a lot of conversation about that. Bill and I have worked together for four years with common goal to bring a championship to Houston. I don't speak to those rumors. Bill has said we have a great relationship.'

Rick Smith on Bill O'Brien: 'I think he has grown over the four years as a head coach in this league and I think he will continue to grow.'

Smith says he can move away from the organization now knowing it is in good hands

Rick Smith said he will not continue on NFL competition committee

Nimo likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

It sounds like it will at least be a whole year off. Will any GM want to come in knowing it is still Rock's job? Will he look at it as a one year audition? Or will they just get somebody from the organization like Gaines to take that role? Still so many questions.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that it's still Rick's job though. He'll stay on as executive VP, but he's not holding on to the GM title and probably wouldn't get it back unless they brought in a BOB puppet who screws things up.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Good luck getting good candidates when the first thing Rick Smith says is he is coming back. What candidate worth a damn is going to want to step into an inevitable power struggle 12 months from now?

Also pretty clear that Rick Smith doesn’t think much of BOB.

So BOB gets to hire a lackey as GM for the inevitable power show down in 12 months or Rick convinces McNair to make Jimmy Raye the powerless acting GM until Smith comes back.

Sounds about right, high level dysfunctio. in the Texans organization.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It's time to see what B.O.B has got! Cut him loose and see what dreams are made of.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans GM job is by far the best open GM job available, any GM worth a damn would want that job because it's so incredibly easy to look good when a team already has all of the hardest things to get when you show up.

Now if McNair hires a BOB lackey, odds are they'll screw things up badly enough to where Rick Smith will have to step back in but if they hire a competent GM then I don't see Rick Smith ever getting the job back, he'll likely get to hold on to executive VP and probably get a "promotion" when he's ready to return to the team.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We've seen what BOB has got the last several years, and he's proved time and time again that he knows nothing about running an offense and that he's a terrible head coach.....what more do you want to see?

9. liveguy

liveguy Member

Dude thought Ryan Mallet was the answer.

This “shot” is it for him.

Essentially Smith is saying, “oh you know it all, don’t you? Here are the keys...good luck”...of course hoping BO’B fails miserably.

This **** is a set up.

Texans are letting BO’B play out his contract and will let him go once done and then Smith will conveniently slide back in to work with the new head coach.

One thing is for sure....Rick Smith will NEVER be fired.

That reluctance by MacNair is the reason why this team will always be middle of the pack.

I don’t get how someone so beta became a billionaire.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not really. He said he is ok with them hiring a GM and he just remaining as VP.

11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Umm i trust Smith over BOB with GM duties.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Same here, and I don't really trust Smith.

13. Roc Paint

Bill O'Brien won't allow himself to be set up for failure any longer. That being said, you will not see Rick Smith as our GM ever again.

#73 Roc Paint, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL BOB is the guy who set the Texans up for failure when Rick Smith was still listening to him and going to get QB's he wanted. Fortunately for the franchise, Rick Smith went out and got Watson instead of another scrub BOB guy.

If the team hires a BOB guy as GM, it's VERY possible that the two of them screw things up so badly that Rick Smith has to come back to pick up the pieces.

15. Roc Paint

Please don't forget Rick Smith is the one who got Brock Osweiler here. Of course the two handfuls of quarterbacks the Texans have had during O'Briens tenure have been more successful than not under the circumstances as far as individual growth is concerned.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if we accept that Rick Smith is the sole person who wanted Osweiler, it doesn't make it any better that BOB got less out of him than any other coach. One way or the other, BOB's incompetence was on full display. Kubiak won a SB with Osweiler as his best QB that year....what's BOB's excuse?

Also, if you are going to blame Smith for Osweiler, does that mean you credit him for Watson? Doesn't going out and getting a potentially elite franchise QB more than make up for a gamble on a QB that failed? Also, then factor in the other failed gambles on QB's that were a direct result of getting guys BOB thought were good like Mallett and Hoyer..... also consider how BOB managed to make a situation where he was given 2 QB's he vouched for and turn it into a completely toxic situation that got so bad BOB threw a temper tantrum about not getting to go into a game with only one QB on the roster..... then consider that BOB still doesn't seem to understand how his own players are best used years after they've been with the team.....there's more than a little bit of evidence that BOB is simply incompetent when it comes to player evaluation on top of him being incompetent when it comes to running an offense.

Let's face it, he's a dumpster fire of a head coach.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Smith doesn't mind missing a draft without a first rounder. Those are his specialty.

Roc Paint likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

the dark side of me wants the family to hire a new gm that doesn't get input from the coaches as to what players they want just to see how b.o.b would implode. All the players had from the time rick smith the "GM" arrived have been made by the coaching staffs. For the most part they did a great job just look at the players playing at a high level for other teams. It was only after that 2012 season that Mcnair had Smith meddle.

A time line of what happened from memory using quotes by rockstar wade and some of Houston's favorite media host and knowing what we know now.

post 2011 season: rumors circulate Manning only had interest in staying in the AFC south and headed to Houston by ABC's legend. At this time, Rick Smith was still Kubiak's shadow "GM". That's why Smith was brought here in the first place by Kubiak. Schaubie retained.

2012 (the bond between Rick Smith and the Mcnair syndicate grows, blood in blood out.)

2013, "I wasn't even asked about Ed Reed." That was Wade post texans.

2014: "This draft has o'brian's fingerprints all over. There is a change over there. Filo will fit the power run game B.O.B is bringing over. I have him as a first round grade" Lance Z. {In reality, the coaching staff had always had the say. If not for rockstar wade we don't have Watt instead some D.E addicted to lean and sneakers and a girlfriend with a mean instagram account.}

2015: After punting on the qb position in the draft in 2014, nothing that resembled Tom Brady available, The Texans go after Hoyer the God, after already acquiring TB12's other understudy, Ryan Mallet. Do people actually believe Rick Smith came up with the idea to go after those guys? Mallet's alarm clock mysteriously stops working. B.O.B wants to execute mallet right on the spot. He's veto'd. The hit is delayed. (that would tick of someone like teapot) the back up for mallet would have been our punter.
    Remember, these kids can play!

2016: Seeing that B.O.B had already punted on the Qb position twice already, Mcnair quotes float around about needing a "franchise quarterback " in this league. A tall goofy kid catches Mcnair, Smith's and John Elways eyes. Broncos offered almost the same amount. I don't blame "The Family" for getting impatient with the overlooking of the position waiting for a Tom Brady replica to run that system only tom brady can run. They won Brock over the Broncos, executed perfectly. one problem, Brock turned out to be a bust. I would have meddled too after the hoylett and fitzie years.

2017: "The Texans aren't drafting quarterback. I have it with people in the know. B.O.B has his foot out the door" lance z. paraphrasing but you can look at his draft day tweets.
    The Texans do the opposite and draft a holy phenom at qb. One man stood proud.

In conclusion, I'm content with how the Texans ran operations, allowing their coaches to have their say in players for their schemes and stepping in when they needed to. The busts in the drafts never bothered me, as the schemes would always find players in the lower rounds and undrafted that played better than league wide 2nd rounders.

2018: AFC championship. Tom Brady becomes a hand model in the offseason.

2019: Superbowl win.

#78 conquistador#11, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  19. Roc Paint

I would never concede the notion that he is a dumpster fire coach. Have you not read what I posted today? I hope you come to terms with the fact that Bill O'Brien is going to lead this team without having to second-guess every decision he makes from here moving forward. I for one think he has a great football mind and is fully capable of running a winning franchise. Godspeed O'Brien

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's BOB's only real talent, making people think he's good despite all of the evidence to the contrary. It would seem impossible for an impartial person to suffer through years of incompetent play calling and clock mismanagement and come out with faith in that coach.....that's where BOB's talent comes in. You just admitted that you'd NEVER concede the notion that he's a dumpster fire of a coach, and I believe you. There's literally nothing BOB could do to make you blame him for anything he screws up and you aren't alone.