1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Of what was available, perhaps.

Aruba77 likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean in media reporting. He was well liked by OBrien, was the first candidate that it came out they wanted to interview and all of the others they went after were guys expected to be refused permission.

3. Major

Major Member

Are people really comparing BoB having a stretch of 6 good offensive games in a 5 year stretch of mediocrity to Reid and Payton and their 10+ years each of nonstop offensive success? What the hell?

dmoneybangbang and justtxyank like this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I thought it was pretty well known that Caserio was their choice last go around but the Pats denied an interview.

5. justtxyank

Him being denied was known right away though is my point. I have no doubt that they'd love to have Caserio. However, he was denied the interview because the Pats were in the playoffs and the Texans didn't bother to wait. Gaine was the absolute first name that was tied to the job. He had a good relationship with Obrien and had been forced out of the organization by Rick Smith which was a sore point for OB.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

610 Article

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Nook and Nick like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Regardless of how he was unavailable... he wasn’t available.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. People are saying that 6 game stretch was enough to give him the chance to see what they could do with a full season together, which was just this last year.

Plenty of qb development gets stunted by having them learn new systems, or have new coaches, year after year.

Whoever can get the most out of Watson should be the Texans coach... that’s all that matters.

csj likes this.
  10. justtxyank

OK cool. I'm not sure what point you are making. I agree he wasn't available. I said that, the other poster said that and now you've said that. So we're all in agreement.

Nook likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Definitely not going to put BOB in their class... I just question the logic that whenever the offense is good, it’s because of Watson and whenever it’s bad its because of BOB.

That’s not even analysis. That’s myopia.

csj likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doesn’t mean he wasn’t their first choice...

13. justtxyank

You used the success of Andy Reid and Sean Payton to refute my point that Obrien should bring in an outside voice.

My point was pretty simple about OBrien. He needs people to give him a different view on the offense. It's unusual for a coach to operate the way he is operating. I don't want Obrien fired, I just don't see why we think it's a good idea to crystallize the organization around his voice. Your response to that is to mention his 6 games with Watson and the success of other coaches that he doesn't sniff.

14. justtxyank

Actually it is analysis.

If I watch a play where Watson has to scramble out of the pocket and it turns into scramble drill where he heaves a touchdown I can say it's not a good play call. You can call that "myopia" I guess, but that's reality. That six game stretch was a constant scramble drill. And in that 6 game stretch OB often took the ball out of Watson's hands when it mattered, which ALSO got him criticized.

red5rocket and Nook like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

B/c this has come up — the Patriots were able to block Caserio and Ossenfort from interviewing in Houston in '18 b/c their season was still ongoing. Won't be as easy now.

Here's the piece of the NFL anti-tampering policy that's relevant. Real GM job = they have to let them go. pic.twitter.com/WmPlMYQ1Bh

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) June 10, 2019

#Texans have asked the Patriots for permission to interview Nick Caserio, New England's director of player personnel. The Texans are in the midst of their interview process to hire a new general manager. Caserio is believed to be the leading candidate if permission is granted.

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) June 10, 2019

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Haha I already said I'm sure they would have loved him but they knew he wouldn't be available.

They didn't target Caserio last time and them have to scramble for another option when they were denied. Gaine was 100% a targeted name. They interviewed him right away, he was on every "leaked" report about who they would likely hire, etc. They made a run at Caserio that didn't go anywhere and they got the guy they went into it expecting to hire.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But it’s not unusual. If you want to look at less successful/unproven coaches going this track it’s Adam gase, Nagy, and now Kingsbury.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Gaine wasn’t their first choice. That was apparent then and certainly very apparent now.

You’re getting hung up on semantics.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. justtxyank

Sigh.

Gase has an offensive coordinator on his staff who has been the OC for two other teams. He has a RB coaching who is a former OC.
    Nagy brought in a former college head coach as his OC who is known as a creative offensive mind.
    Kingsbury brought in the former OC for the Packers to be his passing game coordinator

All of your examples are ones of guys who, even if they have playcalling responsibilities, brought in someone that has real experience in the NFL with different organizations and different schemes. This is the complete opposite of the OBrien regime (Prior to hiring of Carl Smith.)

The OBrien situation is extremely unusual.

red5rocket and Nook like this.