1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans extend Rick Smith's contract through 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by YOLO, Jul 29, 2016.

1. CallMeTheDream

Yeah but of all the possible windows to choose a qb he picked the worst possible one AND he overpaid. I was never really on the Brock train to begin with and honestly would have rather gone another year with a journeyman. I certainly don't see a difference in the level of play.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well thanks for the jinx.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

So which other free agent QB should he have gone after?

4. CallMeTheDream

Well we had just resigned Weeden as our backup so I would've preferred we started Savage and drafted a rookie(Dak). We then could have kept Brooks and signed a piece on defense. Just my two cents.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that Dallas' O line doesn't come with drafting Dak right?

6. CallMeTheDream

True but you could argue we have more weapons than that Dallas offense and retaining Brooks would've made the O-line look at least somewhat dependable.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to Brooks, I'm right there with you. The Texans had the money to keep him and decided not to. So far that decision has bit them in the ass.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I get that Rick and Bob had pressure from the top, and I was okay with the Brock signing because I trusted the OB saw something in him, but man does it look like a bad move right now.

If this keeps up they have to give Savage a shot this year, right?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Savage has done even less than Brock to convince us that he is capable of being an NFL starter. I mean he could be the next Dak but he could also be Hackenberg.

10. CallMeTheDream

I highly doubt it. Benching Osweiler this early and Obrien might as well file his own release papers. They learned from this last year with Mallet and Hoyer.

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Extending the GM is more important than extending your star WR. The Texans priorities are fcked up. The relationships matter more than winning. Unless things change, they'll continue being losers.

12. CallMeTheDream

The Houston Texans home of The Good Ol Boy Network

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

And rightfully so, he's not even a top 15 GM.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

You'll find it hard to find any stats or rankings that has him out of the top 15. If you look around the league there are much worse GMs.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is he really a GM or is he just getting the players the coach wants?

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

TE, OT, OT, OG, CB, S

I think these are the biggest needs heading into free agency and the draft.

I like the emergence of CJ as more than just an elite run blocker. But B O'B likes two TE sets with guys who can get open and move the chains. Upgrading over Griffin or Anderson is a must.

Offensive line is the Achilles heel of the team. I hope 3 of the first 4 picks are on the offensive line as the Texans should follow Dallas' model with the success Elliot is having. This is keeping Houston from an all-time elite offense. Miller is top 5. Osweiler has a pocket that collapses way too quickly. With Martin back, Brown, Newton, Clark, Su'a-Filo, Allen, Mancz, etc could be a formidable deep unit.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

You have any good draft prospects you would like this team to get? I would love OJ Howard, Adoree Jackson or Carl Lawson here

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

MLB has got to be up there. Also OLB (in case they can't resign Simon and also as prepping for if Clowney decides to leave in 2018. I would also get a backup RB.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way they let Clowney go, he's a franchise tag if he doesn't agree to a long term deal before that.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member