1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans early-Offseason decisions!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobblehead, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

So with 6 games left and the playoffs a real longshot...I'm starting to already wonder about the offseason.

Decisions that need to be made:

Owen Daniels(FA Free Agent) - This is tough because he WAS probably one of the top 3 TE in the NFL. But how will he be coming off of the injury. Do they franchise him? He's going to want to get paid and rightly so. But will he be another Robinson next season if franchised and coming off of the injury. He does have a great work ethic.

DeMeco Ryans(FA) SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!!!!!! Him and Cushing are devasting.....he is a huge priority.

Dunte Robinson(FA) I think they let him loose..he's not even close to being a top 5 CB and is actually lucky he was franchised. He'll still demand what he is not worth since his ego is bigger than his fat head.

Chester Pitts(FA) He's coming off a devastating injury and will be 31 in June. I have a feeling he has played his last snap as a Texan. But maybe keep him if he's cheap.

Kevin Walter(FA) I think the team needs to re-sign him. He's a great compliment to AJ and is solid (neve fumbles, catches everything thrown his way.

Chris Brown - Cut him. He's useless...Plenty of FA out there to fill his role..Ronnie Brown, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Ricky Williams, etc....

Steve Slaton - Still the featured back.

Kris Brown - Bring in competition to compete as PK. There are some notable FA out there....Neil Rackers, Sebastian Janikowski???

Rex Groossman (FA) - Resign if you can..a solid backup...which will eventually be needed with Shaub's history.

They still need a legitimate pass rusher...crazy that after all this time, they still cannot get to the QB. Maybe they go after FA like Vanden Bosh or Peppers (but they will cost an arm and a leg).

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I don't really consider them a longshot yet...only 1 game back but always like to look ahead.

OD, Walter and Demeco will be back, no worries there but DRob, Pitts and Chris Brown are long gone. Grossman and K BRown will be toss ups IMO but SS will be the tough question although I think he will get another shot with a good larger back to help him out.

3. RocketMania1991

We are 5-5, we are still very much in the Mix.

DONT HOP OFF THE BANDWAGON YET

4. plates300

plates300 Member

i'm hoping they make the playoffs, but there are plenty of weaknesses seen by this team already. First off, get rid of Dunta Robinson. He is absolutely horrible playing his position. So many times he is yards beyond the man he is covering and can't open field tackle worth a crap. Second, the offensive line needs to be upgraded. The Titans didn't blitz too much last night and our o-line couldnt hold up the pocket. Definitely resign Demeco, Daniels, and Walter.

5. Landlord Landry

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why is Pitts gone? I think they desperately need him back. Their interior line is awful and he has been a rock there for years.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Demeco Ryans is devastating?

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

No big contracts to low production guys, like Antonio "Elbows" Smith.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he was as a rookie, dammit

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Demeco Ryans is not the same player as he was his first two years for whatever reason. OD should be the first priority in offseason. Signing Pollard also should be up there. I would let Dunta walk. He hasn't had a good year I think Glover Quin and Brice McCain are solid young cornerbacks.

11. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Demeco is good for a LB but not great like some fans here make him out to be.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

That's why we don't really need him back :(

I wouldn't mind seeing the team get a strong, mauling center to anchor the line. Any of those available?

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Cut that useless RB Brown. Texans wait for him to get healthy and he still does jack **** for us. Top priorities would be Daniels, Walter, Pitts, and Ryans (even though his impact is declining). Sign Dunta only if its cheap.

14. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

I think you see less tackles by DeMeco is because last season Zack Dyles was a force and this year it's been Cushing. But DeMeco is a great compliment to those guys on the outside. I think our LB core is great and should not be changed at all.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a game back with a game upcoming against one of the WC leaders and they're a long shot? that's the exact opposite of a long shot.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Resign Ryans, OD, and Walter

Let Dunta walk, someone will throw $$ at him even though his best season was his rookie season.

Cut Chris Myers and let Caldwell play.

Draft: DT (sigh), C, S, CB, RB, overall BPA/depth

We really need a smashmouth C, ballhawk S, or run stuffing/space eating DT with our first pick.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I would not tie up big money in OD. I think you will see Casey emerge as a solid replacement over the next 6 weeks

18. plates300

plates300 Member

I want to think this but OD has been nothing but excellent. He catches just about anything thrown in his direction, plays almost like a wide receiver, and most important of all, he can block. His blocking makes him far superior to all the other tight ends on the roster. And he is probably the most reliable receiver on third downs.

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i dont know about his blocking, but he is a hell of a wide receiver-tight end hybrid that LBs cannot defend

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed completely, he is the best TE in football IMO.