1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans draft question

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketteen, Jan 10, 2002.

1. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Quick question: is there any NFL team that anyone knows of who has multiple picks in the first 3 rounds. I want to know if the Texans may be pondering trading their first pick for more quantity.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

I believe the Texans themselves get 2 picks in each round, at the beginning and middle. I doubt, as thus, that they'd trade for even more picks as opposed to vets.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

New Orleans has the 13th pick...i'm not sure if they would be interested in trading the 13th pick and Jeff Blake, but it would be a good move for the Texans IMO. At 13, they can get Carr, and they'll also have a guy that can really play now, instead of forcing a rookie in there.

Just a little dreamcasting....

5. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

In the event of there not being a clear cut number one, as it is in the TEXANS case in this years draft and since we need bodies to fill the roster, the TEXANS may go that route.

6. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Carr is going to Buffalo, they have Almost stated that already

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:confused:

Do they plan on cutting Rob Johnson? And even if they do, they just signed Van Pelt to a five year extension... I'd be surprised a little if they went for a QB.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The last thing the Texans should draft is a QB.

QBs aren't really vital to win in today's game. Build the team around the OL and DL, and then add skill players around them.

The game is won and lost in the trenches, and it's vital that we draft McKinnie.

Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Also draft a fat ass DT in the mid-rounds.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Rumors are going around up this way that the Giants will leave Jason Seahorn unprotected. Should the Texans take him? What QB's will be left unprotected? Leaf? O'Donnell? Tee Martin? Dilfer?

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they have multiple picks (#s 1 and 18) in rounds 2-7, plus the last overall pick of the draft. they have only one first rounder, tho.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I would not take Sehon with his huge contract. He is by far the most overrated player in the NFL.

Everytime you see the Giants giving up a big play, you can be sure that Sehorn was the guy who let his man go by him.

The fact that he is in NY, is white (a rarity for CBs), and is married to Angie Harmon somehow fools people into thinking that he's an All-Pro.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Seahorn might make an OK free safety, but not at a huge contract though.

You don't spend the #1 pick on a OL unless there is no other similarly outstanding players at playmaking positions (QB, RB, LB, DE). There is a reason the elite QBs get 50% more than the rest of the players, they are scarcer and more valuble.

If McKinnie is significantly ahead of Peppers, and Carr or Harrington are not close to being worth #1 picks (the combines should provide info about this), trade the pick.

13. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

No questions, you take McKinnie unless someone breaks out during the combines. Pick up Kruez, Stone, (both free agents) and 60% of the Offensive line is set.

Taking a tackle is not exciting, but finding dominating LT is extremely hard.

Can't wait to see the list of exposed players.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Whoa there...

In the NFL, position players have the LEAST amount of individual impact as compared to HS and college ball.

Simply put, in the NFL, the QBs, RBs, and WRs all need the OL to help them out.

Defensively, CBs cannot cover WRs for a long time, if there is no pass rush. LBs cannot stop the run if the DL isn't occupying the OL.

Offensively, the QBs need time to read their progressions, the RBs need holes to run through, and the WRs need time to run their routes.

Basically, the OL and DL are self-sufficient and do not rely on the other positions to help. While the other positions very much relies on the success of the OL and DL. Without a doubt, the battle of the line of scrimmage dictates success on offense, defense, and special teams.

I agree that playmakers are needed. But they are useless without help from the DL and OL.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I take McKinnie regardless of what Joe Blow does at a Combine. There are too many players who erroneously get drafted high because they can run like the wind or can bench a Mack truck. Mike Mamula comes to mind.

Unless McKinnie has a serious injury, I don't want anyone else to be picked #1 by the Texans.

I think the LT is the most important aspect to a passing game. The QB can get rid of the ball if he sees pass rushers, but s#it happens when the QB is blindsided by the RDE.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I would love to get Olin Kreutz and Ron Stone, but I see the Bears and Giants (respectively) making them their highest priority in the offseason (perhaps even slapping the "franchise" tag on them, effectively screwing the Texans).

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Draft friggin McKinnie. Someone has to block for our QB...

I'd like to see the Texans pick up (in the first 3 rounds):

1) Bryant McKinnie, OT (1st round)
    2) Dwight Freeney, OLB (2nd round)
    3) Cliff Russell, WR (2nd round)
    4) Lamar Gordon, RB (3rd round)
    5) Best available Center or Guard (3rd round)

...But that's just me.

17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I can't access that mock draft from my workplace.

could anyone possibly list the mock draft picks for the Texans and Cowboys? pretty please with penelope cruz on top?

18. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Texans:

Round 1: Bryant McKinnie, OT, Miami (FL)
    Round 2A: Anthony Weaver, DT, Notre Dame
    Round 2B: Luke Staley, RB, BYU
    Round 3A: Jerramy Stephens, TE, Washington
    Round 3B: Patrick Ramsey, QB, Tulane

Cowboys:

Round 1: Wendell Bryant, DT, Wisconsi
    Round 2: Dennis Weathersby, CB, Oregon State
    Round 3: Robert Fasani, QB, Stanford

#18 RichRocket, Jan 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2002
  19. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I think that this mock with the Dolphins getting Harrington is like the Marino scenario all over again. He might not be another Marino but he is too good to drop this far.

Who authors this draft?

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Texans draft Ramsey?

hahaha. He can fit right in with Quinn and possibly McKinley.

now im :confused: