1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans draft Applewhite ??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old School, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Old School

Old School Member

...as a PR move? Every team needs a good 3rd string clipboard holder. I figure they could get him well into the draft.

And I don't mean that as disrespect to Major...I think he's a terrific college qb.

OS

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

While it would be a good PR move similar to the Oilers drafting Bucky Richardson, Major will not hold a clipboard unless he has a legitimate chance of playing time in the NFL. If any team is planning to use Major as a 3rd string or scout team QB, Major is better off returning to UT as a grad assistant where he knows he has solidified a future position as QB coach, offensive coordinator, or even head coach. I just don't see Major as a journeyman QB in the NFL. If a team does not have a plan to use him then I doubt he will stick around. He has said in the past that he wants to be a coach if the NFL does not work out.

3. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Never underestimate the power of money. After going to college for 5 years, I'm sure Applewhite would love the chance to make some cash. The experience of being on an NFL team, even if he is not 1st/2nd string, would be extremely valuable if he plans on coaching in the future.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

No chance.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Are there really 60 QB's better than Major Applewhite out there?

His arm strength isn't great, but he does throw a pretty, deep ball, and is good at reading defenses.

I reckon he could land a job somewhere in the NFL - and if the Texans don't draft him, there have been rumors circulating that Dick Vermeil is really, really jonesing for him.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Come on now. Look at the kind of chumps that play QB in the NFL now. Clint Stoerner? Anthony Wright? What about those losers that the Vikings have been playing after Culpepper went down? Major is better than plenty of backups in the NFL. People said that Doug Flutie couldn't get it done cause he's small. Major will have to prove the save critics wrong again.

Word is that the Cowboys and Bears are seriously scouting Opie, and he could go as high as the 4th round because this year's draft is very short on QBs. I would love to see him wearing #11 for the Texans next year. I can already imagine the "Major! Major! Major!" chants at the games after our starting QB mucks things up.

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

Hell yes. I think our starting QB should be Applewhite, and our starting RB should be Crouch.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

He seems like a Bill Walsh kind of player. I hope ESPN sets up and follows him during the draft; it will be exciting to watch.

9. Smokey

1999 - Crouch and Applewhite are named co Big 12 players of the year. Nebraska wins the Big 12.

2000 - Mack shuffles the co Big 12 player of the year in and out of the line up, finally naming him the starter following the thrashing by OU. Applewhite goes down at Texas Tech and loses his starting job due to injury.

2001 - Nebraska plays for the national title and Crouch wins the Heisman in his senior season. Applewhite starts only one game and wins the Holiday Bowl.

Things worked out well for Crouch.

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hmm...... well the texans just signed quinn.. who i asssume wil be a backup or third string qb.....

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Smokey,

What's funny is Texas would've played for the national title had not OSU beaten OU. Even if Crouch wins the game, I don't think it's that much of an accomplishment for him. The only reason they got into the national championship is because they weren't good enough to play for their own conference championship, and thus didn't get a second loss.

12. Major

Major Member

<B>Even if Crouch wins the game, I don't think it's that much of an accomplishment for him. </B>

So going 12-1, beating the undisputed #1 team in the nation, and winning the national title is not a big deal any more?

<B>The only reason they got into the national championship is because they weren't good enough to play for their own conference championship, and thus didn't get a second loss.</B>

... yet to make this scenario work, we just assume Texas would have beaten Nebraska.

Bottom line: Nebraska did what it had to do on the field of play. The system was in place at the beginning of the year. Everyone knew the rules. Anytime you have multiple 1-loss teams, you're going to have a controversy. Over the course of the the entire year, Nebraska was more impressive than any other team outside of Miami -- the only objective measure we have (the computers) almost unanimously agreed.

<B>What's funny is Texas would've played for the national title had not OSU beaten OU. </B>

In this scenario, would you have said Texas winning a national title this year was not a big deal? After all, we would not have won our division either....

13. Smokey

I second what Major said. There's no denying it...Crouch has had a more successful college career than Applewhite, not because Applewhite is not good, but because Applewhite did not play. Now that is sad.

Quinn was signed to fill a roster spot. He will be a third string QB or scout team QB.

14. Band Geek Mobster

Aren't most 3rd string QB's undrafted QB's or really bad QB's that have been on multiple teams?

This isn't a time for sentimental picks, the Texans need to try to build a team with these picks. This draft is going to be one of the most important (if not THE most important) for us, Casserly's not going to use a pick on a player that he feels he could just sign as an undrafted rookie.

The only team that I could see drafting Major would be the Cowboys...

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

if this is true... doesn't it tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about major's NFL prospects? if the cowboys think he can play in the nfl...

major will not go in the fourth round, if he goes at all. and just because i'm curious: who's "word" are you qouting? there's "word" on fourth round draft activity in december? before any underclassmen have declared? yeah, uh-huh... anyway, if major's drafted, he won't make it out of training camp. he's this year's josh heupel, except, he doesn't have an undefeated national championship season in his back pocket.

and no, i don't think the texans will consider drafting major, nor should they -- they need to find 14 players that can play and contribute. whether major sticks or not, he's a third string QB at best in the nfl. houston doesn't need to waste a pick on those types.