1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans and mobile IV craze

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Jul 23, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was an article in the Houston Chronicle on June 13th about Drip Dynamics, and their mobile IV craze. The article stated that several of their clients are celebrities, cancer patients, and people just wanting to cure their hangovers. The article also stated that their clients are athletes, including marathon runners, mixed martial arts fighters, CrossFit athletes, and Houston Texans players.

Today I read that Brian Lochte got suspended for 14 months from swimming for posting an Instagram picture of himself getting an IV of vitamins, which is banned by the anti-doping rules. It's not that vitamins are illegal, but it is the amount that are put in those IV's that is. The article in the Chronicle about Drip Dynamics described the amount of vitamins in the IV will give people a sense of euphoria, making you feel like you have so much energy that your feet almost bounce in your shoes, and the effects lasted until evening. It sounds like athletes getting an edge that isn't natural is why this is illegal. Does the same rule that banned Lochte apply in the NFL or other sports?

2. Buck Turgidson

Buddy of mine used to be an EMT, they'd give 'em to each other at the station whenever they were hungover. I've had 2, they definitely work.

I doubt they're banned under the NFL's policy; the IOC and USADA is much more stringent. He got suspended because athletes are only allowed IV's if they are hospitalized.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm sure they do work for hangovers, since your body is dehydrated. I had a couple after a weekend with the flu and felt so much better. I've heard stories from guys who worked in the Navy clinics who said the same thing about IV's for hangovers....LOL. I think these mobile IV's, and the type athletes pump into their veins are more than just hydrating. They are a high dose of vitamins that give them a rush, and maybe an athletic edge before competing. That's why they ban them as doping. It's not as extreme as the paths Lance Armstrong took obviously, but I can see it being questionable for fair competition. I guess pro sports are more lenient on stuff like that. Doping without illegal drugs...lol.

4. Buck Turgidson

Yes, they called it the multi-pack or something. High dose vitamins. They work, and I can see why athletes would do it.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm sure being pumped up with high doses of vitamins is similar to taking amphetamines for a normal healthy person, which probably explains why getting that extra "unnatural" edge is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency. Sometimes I wonder if any pro athletes perform without any type of supplements or legal drugs that give them extra energy. I had a friend in College who said he dropped out of baseball and decided to get into sports medicine instead, because he said to compete at the level to make the pros most guys were taking steroids. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but he wasn't going to do something that harmful, just to be on a level field with his competition. I'm sure there are plenty of Cushings out there who just haven't been caught yet.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing they didn't have a control version without vitamins?

A bag of lactated ringers, in my limited experience, will make you feel energetic and good. If IV vitamins made you high, then for most vitamins taking something like 3 or 4 times as much orally (depending on hsee ow difficult it is for your stomach to absorb) would generally do the same. Maybe B12 or something would give you a little momentary lift, but I'm betting it's mostly fluids and placebo.

Try taking really high dose of oral water soluble vitamins. Basically, about an hour later, you'll have to pee like a racehorse and your urine will be the brightest yellow you've ever seen. Your kidneys sick excess eater soluble vitamins right out of your blood and ejects them from your body. Niacin is a good one to take if you want to see the effect. You'll get a little flush to the skin at most. Very hard to OD on water soluble vitamins.

Lipid soluble vitamins like E and minerals actually have very negative effects if you take too much.

That having been said, I'd take iv fluid all day long if the goods to get it done were available OTC. IV fluids are awesome.

#6 Ottomaton, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Brady gets blood transfusions from a 16 year old club soccer player.