1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans add Kalu, might be destination for Moulds

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jtotheb, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Just heard on Fox 26 that the Texans agreed to terms with Eagles DE ND Kalu.

Also, they said that Houston is one of the places that Eric Moulds would like to play for. Not sure what the Texans would be willing to give up for him.

Edit: this got mentioned in Walker thread. lock it.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Kalu's worthy of his own thread, so I think this is still appropriate.

Kalu is a big signing, and very unexpected. Scout.com's FA rankings by position actually ranked Kalu ahead of Weaver for defensive ends. He's older, so he won't be around too long, but he'll have a significant impact while he's here. It's also a negative endorsement for both Babin and Peek. When we signed Weaver, it was clear one of them would technically be on the bench and see reduced playing time. Now, with Kalu, both will have reduced playing time.

It's clear Kubiak is serious about getting veteran leadership on both sides of the ball and the front office is willing to spend to get that done. Kudos to them. If there's ever a blueprint for instant results (not playoffs, but competitiveness), this is it.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about pro football. Is it possible that we might actually field a decent team with the players we've picked up so far?

4. The Cat

I really think it is. You have to remember, the Texans weren't quite as awful as the 2-14 record they finished with. They had several games (St. Louis, Baltimore, SF, and a couple of others I'm sure) where it was clear they were as good or better, but found creative ways to lose. They're still bad, but realistically, last year's team was about a 4-12 or 5-11 type team... not quite as bad as a typical 2-14.

If you watched the Texans last year, I'm sure you noticed a few glaring weaknesses. To me, that was both lines, secondary receiving targets, and a lack of veterans. They've added two of the top 6 or so free agent defensive ends, one of the top 10 centers in the league, a solid tight end, and they're all veterans with history on winning teams. And that's not even mentioning the impact of a new coaching staff or the impact that Bush will have.

That said, none of these new players, with the exception of Bush, are elite talents. They're all generally slightly above average players, but relative to the trash we had out there last year, they're dramatic upgrades in key areas, which on paper should make us competitive in most games. Whether we become more than competitive depends on if the true elite talents (Bush, Carr, Johnson) develop into game-breakers, but we've added so many quality pieces during free agency that it's no longer a joke of a team.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

So what's the projected starting lineups right now?

QB - David Carr
    HB - Domanick Davis
    FB - Jameel Cook
    WR - Andre Johnson
    WR - Jerome Mathis/Derrick Armstrong?
    TE - Jeb Putzier
    LT - Chester Pitts
    LG - Seth McKinney
    C - Mike Flanagan
    RG - Zach Wiegert
    RT - Seth Wand/Todd Wade?

DE - Anthony Weaver
    DT - Seth Payne
    DT - Robaire Smith
    DE - ND Kalu
    LOLB - Kailee Wong
    MLB - Sam Cowart
    ROLB - Morlon Greenwood
    SS - Glenn Earl
    FS - C.C. Brown
    CB - Dunta Robinson
    CB - DeMarcus Faggins

I probably have a few positions wrong, but, this look like our starting lineups for now?

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Where did you see this? The list I'm looking at for Scouts has him with a grade of 65 and Weaver with a 72 grade.

His scouting report makes him sound like a Peek clone...

Kalu has excellent athletic ability and quickness. He is a situational player who far more effective rushing the passer than he is stopping the run. He is a bit undersize to hold the point of attack on consistent basis. He will get reached block and knocked off the ball by big and more physical offensive lineman or tight ends. He does use his hands but he will play high at times and lose his leverage. He is not good at stacking and shedding blockers, he will get overpowered and teams will run at him and wear him out. As a pass rusher, he has excellent quickness off the ball and an explosive first step. He has good change of direction skills, he has a variety of pass rush moves and he is very effective getting tackles to redirect with double moves. He keeps his feet moving, he has good closing speed and he is relentless in his effort to get to the QB. He is very disruptive and he has the ability to make big plays. Overall, Kalu is a very good situational pass rusher who is going to give you quality reps. He has a great motor and work ethic. He is not an every down player but he has improved his game to were it he is more consistent against the run. He has a lot of upside to him and he is a good football player.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Kalu was on the Rice team that PWN3D the Longhorns in the mid 90s. :cool:

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The Texans would be stupid to try and work a trade for Moulds considering his contract and that he's going to be cut. I'd like to see us bring him in once he's cut though, as long as it's at a reasonable price.

9. The Cat

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'm not so sure about that, it's not like we just signed a Pro Bowl DE, Kalu had a whopping 2 sacks last season. The staff is sold on Peek, as evidenced by giving him the first round tender. This is a signing to add depth, and a little competition. We now have 4 good DEs, I still expect the starters to be Weaver and Babin, with Peek and Kalu playing on passing downs with Weaver moving inside to DT.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was his first year back from ACL surgery (he missed 2004). The two years before he had 8 and 6. Not great, but not bad if he can regain that form.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This is a great signing. We have some solid depth at the end position and it seems like we can keep guys fresh throughout the game by rotating them in and out.

The last couple weeks have been great for the Texans...adding piece by piece. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely upgrading the quality of this team. Hopefully, the draft will add a few more quality parts.

Assuming we take Bush...then the next picks should cover, in my opinion, right tackle, wide receiver, middle linebacker, cornerback, and safety. If we can slightly upgrade in those areas, I think you will see a team that can take at least 8 games next year.

14. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Lots of FA signing happening in Texans organization. I am glad to see that they areen't just sitting on their asses smoking weed and waiting for a miracle. Keep it up.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Man I am so fired up these guys really are doing a great job this offseason. We still have a shot at another free agent or two and then I can't wait till draft day!

16. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

1 year deal with Kalu, as it was with Cowart. Looks like we are going with a short term fix until we can get stabilization at a later date.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

4th Round pick for Moulds? With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds (hopefully we'll get more), I'd do it. Moulds could step right in and take some immediate pressure off of AJ.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I've always hated Eric Moulds as a receiver.. but as a TWO receiver behind AJ? I'd love it! For a 4th rounder? Even better. Jump on it.. Texans are having a solid offseason so far.