1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrible star-foul call for Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sir scarvajal, Apr 17, 2000.

Tags:
  1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Yesterday with the score tied with maybe 20 seconds left Wally S. guessed which way Kobe was going to go after receiving the ball and Kobe ran strait over him. The announcers, players, everybody new it was a bad call. The referee's explanation was not that Wally was moving, or leaned in to him, or stuck his forearm out, no it was like "he didn't give the player (Kobe) time to change direction". Well duh!!, if he gave him time to change direction Kobe wouldn't have ran over his as*. There are a (at least) few things the NBA should do to straiten their refs out--get them to call legit charges and get rid of the star calls. From a competitive standpoint these things suck, it is hard to enought to guard the best players w/o favortism. Not that many on the BBS are unaware of these issues, just thought I would bring up yesterday's play.

------------------

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I agree. Not only are "SuperStar" calls a bunch of crap, but they also serve to hurt the credibility of the super star himself.

I love Kobe and his game, but calls like this only give me a lesser opinion of him.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

3. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

it was a good call. if you saw the play not only was wally still moving but every player needs room to change directions, its not only called for "star players".

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

4. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I don't agree about a couple of points. There is little question it was a "star-call". Everyone (pro-LAL announcers, players) who saw it thought it was called a charge because it was Kobe versus a rookie. Wally just guessed right, was flatfooted in the lucky spot, and got runned over. The ref didn't even say Wally moving, only that "he didn't give Kobe enough time to change direction". Second, about the call itself. I have never heard of a legit basketball rule that says you have to allow a player room to change direction. I know you can't slide under a player and set your feet while a guy is in the air to draw a charge. But if you get to a spot on the floor while the guy with the ball is moving (not in the air but on the ground), stand vertical, and take the hit, you should get the call. That is just basic basketball whether the NBA prefers to interpret it that way or not. Of course the NBA added a little box under the basket where you can't stand an take a charge, so clearly the do bend the principle at times.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited April 17, 2000).]

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Didn't see the play, but I believe the rules of basketball require the player to be able to take at least one step for it to be a charge. If you don't give him a step, the rules say (I think) it can't be a charge.

------------------

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Wally was NOT flat-footed on that play. He was still moving. It was a correct call. A close call, but a correct call.

I thought it was a charge too at first, but the replay was clear.

------------------
    The lottery sucks!