1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrible execution in the last minute

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This has to be said no matter what.

Game 2:
    10 point lead with 1:22 and 3 timeouts, Rockets struggle on inbound passing, Harden has a turnover in the backcourt for no reason allowing Westbrook to score an easy 3. Next Thunder possession Westbrook is fouled, he makes the first and misses the second, Thunder rebound, Westbrook drives for an easy layup; 3-point play, lead cut to 4. Terrible execution.

Game 3:
    8.4 to go, down by 2, D'Antoni doesn't call a timeout to setup a game winning play. Harden goes for hero ball and settles for a 3 rather than drive, get fouled, or find an open shooter. Terrible execution.

Game 4:
    Rockets have a 5 point lead with 28.4 to go, Harden drives and foolishly turns over ball, Nene then foolishly fouls Adams 90 feet away from the basket. Adams makes the first free throw and rebounds his own miss for a quick 3 pointer by Westbrook. 4-point play, lead cut to 1. Terrible execution.

I know I will get a lot of "So what? Rockets are up 3-1" responses.

However, this is terrible execution in several games and the issues have not been addressed. Honestly, the Rockets cannot hope to make the same mistakes against the Spurs and Warriors and not be punished. I am happy we won and are up 3-1 right now, but my gut says this a bad sign that will be exposed in the next round.

#1 ghettocheeze, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    IvanLCPM, napalm06, Gakatron and 8 others like this.
  2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I don't agree with your game 3 assessment. The rest are valid. I'd rather ride Harden's back with the defense not set up than call an inbound play in game 3.

Today was especially bad though. Really dodged a bullet. Also don't like that we didn't call time out at the end of this game when we were clearly having trouble getting the ball in. It took a no call on the shove to Abrines by Harden. Really lucked out.

4. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Hard to read this using CF Dark theme :(

KePoW, Tfor3, TracywtFacy and 4 others like this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Looks like Arab or Hieroglyphics haha.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes, game 3 is debatable and I'll take that opinion. However, game 2 and 4 clearly show the Rockets struggling to hold onto game winning leads because of bad ball and clock management with a minute to go. This won't work against the Spurs and Warriors.

saleem likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Lucky as all hell Westbrook didn't snatch that inbounds by Gordon..a split second difference. Gordon was at the right place at the right time to get it back. Harden shoving Abrines was super risky and pretty bone-headed. Got very lucky.

8. Mr. Space City

this is just who they are at this point.

just sloppy with the ball and boneheaded at times.

the playoffs expose all your faults and this is one of many.

we just have been lucky and made enough plays to come out with wins with help from westbrook in the 4th,

#8 Mr. Space City, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    saleem, J.R., da_juice and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team is a very poor mentally constructed team. They do not play smart.

saleem, Fansince80, J.R. and 4 others like this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Don't let your kids watch those last few minutes if you want them to be successful at basketball. Even low IQ D league players would chuckle at that.

ghettocheeze and Yung-T like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets will just have to blow everybody out for the rest of the playoffs. simple.

12. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

game 3 when harden shot those two 3s, it was the best shot selection you could asked for. We should be in the 2nd round ATM...you miss sometimes.

13. JazzLakerHater

I think it's time to accept when James Harden is your best player, your just going to be a sloppy team. I'm not knocking Harden because his positives overwhelmingly overshadows his weaknesses, but we have always been a sloppy team ever since he got here.

hakeemthagreat likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tip for OP. Don't highlight your post in black, it doesn't show up under the BBS Dark Theme. You post looks like one big blank space...so I guess I won't read it, since I can't see it.

15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It's the playoffs. Cavs swept the Pacers and 3/4 games were really close. Spurs / Grizzles series is now tied at 2-2 in some ridiculously close matchups where small mistakes are made. As someone else pointed out, Adams left the FT line before the ball hit the rim, thats how he was able to get that board. Great execution to get the ball to Nene and finish for the And 1 at the end of the game. It is the playoffs, things get crazy, the best team wins a 7 game series usually. Unless you are the warriors with an insanely stacked lineup and system that fits everyone perfectly, it'll be a playoff series,

Ozzy likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We were so lucky. So so so very lucky.

A) How do we only have one guy rebounding the ball on a jump shot up by one point with 8 seconds left? Rebound there secures the win instead it's an easy tip-in
    C) What the heck is Harden doing? He got away with a shove that could have cost us the game.
    D) Gordon throws a terrible pass that easily gets picked off - did we not have any time outs?
    E) Gordon somehow miraculously gets a gift for his first bad pass - ball right in his hands...and then...throws it right back to the Thunder!

I mean in the period of about 1.5 seconds - 4 major blunders were committed and somehow we didn't lose the game.

The Spurs are not OKC. We will get destroyed if we show up with this level of mental midgetry.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They still have to get past Memphis

Rocket River

francis 4 prez and Perki-Perk like this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Harden for 2 trumps Harden for 3.

19. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

I was shocked when Harden drove to the basket with 20 seconds rather than pull it out and wait to be fouled. He's normally a smart player and I'm not sure what got into him there.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

It's better to be lucky than good sometimes. Every team has and will continue to have fortunate bounces contributing to success