1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones can not be a starter on a championship caliber team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, May 3, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I am really disappointed that TJones didn't work on a go-to move over the summer.

2. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

This. I would rather see DMo start or maybe even Papanikolaou. TJones doesn't have any one thing that he specializes/can hang his hat on. Yeah he's talented but he has no heart...and you can't teach heart. He's got to go.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is because Jones is more locked than you think.

He has a guaranteed contract and coaching staff is backing him so he does not have to go all out every other preseason game.

The hierarchy is pretty much set unless DMo can average 15-18 points and 8 boards a game but in REGULAR SEASON.

or Terrence Jones stinks it up in the first 20-30 games of the regular season.

It takes so many games to remove him

4. Remlap

Remlap Member

Last year it was D-Mo who couldn't stay on the floor because of fouls.
    Of course this was only the first preseason game and even DH fouled out.
    But I was impressed with Donuts' effort tonight as well as keeping fouls to a minimum.
    He seems to have worked on his game over the summer and got some FIBA experience.

TJones apparently DOES have a new 'go to' move. LOL
    Hopefully we'll see a better performance next game

[​IMG]

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if there's a preseason game to completely dismiss, its one where both teams combine for 109 free throws. lord have mercy on those refs souls. they're going to hell and they aint getting out of there!

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its preseason ffs cmon

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Knee jerk central LMFBO. Its freaking preseason lol

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Actually the topic thread should be McHale can not be a coach on a championship caliber team.

If you surround TJ with 4 all stars, I bet you will come very close to winning it all if not winning it all.

However, even if you give McHale 5 all stars he will be 2nd round bust. That is how bad McHale is holding back this team and that applies to TJ as well. As a big man, it should be McHale's responsibility to help Tj and develop his game. But this dump of a coach just limps around cheer leading.

9. mightybosstone

If Terrence Jones is the fifth best starter on the roster (probably true right now), then a team could certainly win a championship. It really just depends on the talent and the ability of the players around him. This thread seems a little extreme.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think if u replace tristan thompson with terrence jones, CLE is still a championship caliber team. but if you replace kevin love with terrence jones, not so much.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't think Jones position is locked.. That is what most people thought with Lin and you see who ended up starting...

The PF position is open and Jones needs to get a heart... I stated this same thing last year, you can't teach heart...

T_Man

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Did you not hear Coach McHale say the starting PF spot is not locked and is wide open? How can that be misinterpreted?

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

What does he need a go-to move for?

I'm not really a Jones believer, but all he needs to do is be solid on D, rebound, hit the open 3 and attack hard close-outs.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well of those, he's a decent rebounder.

15. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

this thread sucks guy. please never bump your own thread again

16. basketballholic

Did _ones find a J this summer?

1 person likes this.
  17. mdoggnic

Imo he doesn't do any one of these things consistently well.

18. mdoggnic

Bump. Thanks for the input guy. Care to enlighten us with some constructive criticism?

....I didn't think so. That would require you to have a thought.

#118 mdoggnic, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  19. mdoggnic

I challenge those that disagree with me to only watch TJones for an extended period of time during the next game. Watch how many times he runs away from the ball on offense. Watch how many times the shot goes up on defense and he fails to get a body on anyone. Watch how many times he gets a body on someone and they push him right under the rim...he is the best player in the league at getting a rebound on an air ball. Watch how many times he loses his man on defense.

I just realized who TJones reminds me of....a guy with a ton of talent but that doesn't love the game. He reminds me of Eddie Griffin.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Where were all the haters when TJones had good games last year. And he had a lot of good games. Now we have people questioning whether he loves the game? Really?

Come on, Jones is 22 years old and is our best option right now at power forward. We've played one preseason game and people want to make a change?

You know who looked worse than TJones last night? Dwight Howard looked worse.

Lets play the rest of the preseason and see how everyone does before trying to make any long term decisions. This team has only been practicing together for little more than a week.