1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones, Bogut or ........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

From looking at what's presently available on the market, the Rockets have limited options; T. Jones, Bogut or someone overseas, possibly Josh Smith.

Bogut, from his previous history, really doesn't want to be in Houston. However, he would give us a big in the middle who could protect the rim, pass the ball well and set great picks. But we currently have Capella, Nene and Harrell at the center position.

T.Jones, wouldn't mess with the teams current chemistry. He would allow Dekker to play primarily behind Ariza, which is his natural position. With him coming off the bench, it will give the 2nd unit more size and length and he can hit the 3 on occasions.

J. Smith brings the same qualities as T.Jones, plus he brings rim protection.

What are your thoughts?

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

In order: Bogut, then J.Smith over T.Jones because J.Smith can truly guard bigs with intellect and rebound, and while his offensive IQ sucks he is a realllyyy good passer. He showed he can go one on one against Blake Griffen defensively, T.Jones just doesn't have that IQ offensively or defensively.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, there are a lot of players in the D-League that could possibly fill up the end of the bench.

But, I won't lie. I think it would be fun to see Josh Smith make his annual return to the Rockets. Josh is a big that can really pass the ball. I will never forget that game we had against the Mavs and Josh just kept throwing those alley-oop passes again and again.

HTX Ninja, D-rock, napalm06 and 7 others like this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Larry Sanders to match up with other bruiser centers and one of these wings:

adw, D-rock and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Joshua Smith
    Jason Eugene Terry

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd say:

1. Bogut or Sanders or Sullinger
    2. if a decent/good guard/wing (like Afflalo) gets released sign him
    3. cut Brown and sign GPII with a team friendly contract

adw, raining threes and DonKnock like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have no interest in bringing back Josh Smith. He'd take a ton of 3s in this system and that would actively hurt us.

bizzy045, adw, ArtV and 4 others like this.
  8. daytripper

daytripper Member

Jump on Afflalo if Sac waives him.

vtjsr2, Fyreball, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Sanders and Afflalo

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Josh Smith is Corey Brewer like in this system...NO NO NEVER again.

DD

11. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Can we keep this in the other thread about buyouts? Not trying to be the thread police, but it's nice to just have to go to one spot...

Staying on topic, I really, really want Larry Sanders and Matt Barnes. Jeff Green over Barnes if he get's free because he's played w/ Harden before and Barnes is a totally douche.

Regardless of how much I hate Barnes, I hate him significantly less than Bogut.

heypartner likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

We haven't seen Josh in this sytem. You never know. Remove the bone-headed 3PT attempts and he's a good player, especially on a cheap contract. I wonder if the proliferation of good shooters on this team might reign him in a bit. A Josh Smith who focuses on everything except shooting would be an asset.

13. basketballholic

Brook Lopez on a buyout, waiving Harrell and Huertas to get more cap space to sign him with. Brooklyn can claim both players since they have cap. They buy out Lopez for this year's salary. Lopez leaves next year's salary on the table. We give him $5 million or so prorated with an understanding we'll offer him at least one year $15 million in the summer.

Lopez is not a good rebounder. But he is a plus paint and rim defender.

It essentially amounts to a trade. Harrell for Lopez plus BKN gets $20 extra million cap space this summer. We give Lopez $5 million, tell him we are prepared to offer him at least 1-15 this summer. We take the extra million of cap and sign somebody like GPIII to a 4 year deal. Then we have another extra roster spot for a minimum salary vet who wants to make a run in the playoffs.

14. Remlap

Remlap Member

WHY are we still talking about TJones?. . . . . . .

[​IMG]

tmactoyao, adw, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why would the Nets buyout Brook Lopez?

16. mightybosstone

I don't trust Sanders. We just don't know what kind of player he's going to be at this point. If you could guarantee me that he would be 70-80 percent of the guy he was at his peak in Milwaukee, then I'd be all over him. But there's just no way to know what you're getting with that guy. And I'm not a fan of bringing back Jones or Smoove. Neither guy can consistently hit the 3-ball well enough to justify being a stretch 4 in this system, and Jones is a subpar defender. Smoove is actually a quality defender and creator, and I'll admit there's a part of me that would like to see him back. But the guy's entertaining for a reason. He's the most bipolar player I think I've ever seen on the Rockets, and I'm not on board with adding his chaos to an offense that is running as a well-oiled machine right now.

As much as it pains me to write this, I think Bogut and Barnes are the two guys that make the most sense for what this team needs.

raining threes and saleem like this.
  17. basketballholic

Because we give them Harrell and $20 million of cap space this summer. Pretty simple really. This is Lopez' true trade value. Basically a late first/early second plus whoever they sign with the cap since it whatever salary they trade for that involves a pick coming to them.

Don't be surprised if this happens in some manner or form. It is being discussed.

18. mightybosstone

Asking to remove "bone-headed" from Josh Smith's game is like asking to remove the peanut butter from a Reese's. It can't be done.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Isn't this the time of year that Ray Allen pretends he's going to come out of retirement?

20. ozzcap

ozzcap Member

Sound like a big ask for someone like Josh Smith to be a team player. Always seemed too lazy at times and resorted to just jacking up threes. Yes in theory if you 'remove the bone headed 3PT attempts' it could work but that's like saying to Harden ' remove the 8 turnovers a game and you'd be a great player.' It's part of his game. Just look at the playoff comeback against the Clippers. He was an integral part of the comeback when he was draining pull up threes. He jacks up threes since coming into the league in Atlanta. Once a chucker always a chucker

topfive likes this.