1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Terrelle Pryor Traded to Seahawks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mogrod, Apr 21, 2014.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe they will use him to run the Wildcat.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i think its a good pick up for them. He has the SIZE (6'4 230) that everybody wants lol

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He really should have converted to WR. He had to put in just as much work to become a decent QB when he could have become a beast WR. Kid has a good attitude and work ethic, I just think his main problem is he can't recognize that he is better suited to play a different position.

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

Some of these guys (Tim Tebow is another) can't put their ego aside and do what is best for their careers because of the success that they had in high school and college.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What makes you guys think they can switch their position literally over night (hs/college-NFL) and become successful? Haven't these WRs and TEs been playing the position their whole life? And a guy like Tebow or Pryor comes in a learns how to play TE or WR and expect them to be better than these other guys at a pro level?

Seems far fetched. Have these guys had experience at those positions?

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ronald Curry, Hines Ward and Antwan Randle-El come to mind as College QBs who made the transition.

Antonio Gates was a basketball player in college.

Pryor was nowhere near NFL ready as a QB and that year he spent learning QB only helped him learn how to be a backup QB, where if he had switched right away to WR he probably would have made more money over his career.

8. Nook

Nook Member

They are already football players, playing the most demanding position (QB). They know what the other positions entail already. It really isn't that large a leap to make the change. It is easier than a PF in college becoming a SF in the pros.

I don't know if Pryor would have become a beast as a WR, but it is possible and I do know Pryor won't be an NFL QB in 5 years.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree, it's hard for a player at one position to play another at an elite or even adequate NFL level. People said VY should play WR... I don't think so. But you do get the occasional Matt Jones.

I actually think Pryor does have a shot as a redzone WR. But I think he's capable of being a decent backup QB in the league.

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Yeah...but what if he hates playing WR? Life's about more than just money.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If that is the case, then (for him) life's about more than just the NFL.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Realistically, I assume most young high profile athletes would rather be in the league and be good at what they do, rather than stubbornly sticking to their guns and trying to be something they're not capable of.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, and I hope he feels the same way when he is 30 years old making $30,000 a year and no one knows who he is.

Maybe he still will be happy, but I doubt it.

14. Major

Major Member

Maybe - or he might have already been cut and be out of the league. Crappy WRs are less likely to have jobs than crappy QBs. As it is, he's still employed in the NFL and getting a paycheck.

15. Major

Major Member

As it stands, staying as a QB, he'll make $700,000 this year and will have totaled over $2 million by age 24, with a decent chance to float around a 3rd QB for the next several years. If he converted to WR in yr 2 and sucked, he would have been unemployed at age 22 and made far less.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, assuming he "sucked" and maybe he just isn't good at WR.... I don't know.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Statistics would disagree with you.

A typical NFL roster holds 5 WRs. Being a 4th string WR means occasional playing time whereas a 3rd string QB is unlikely to ever do anything but hold a clipboard and therefore will only be judged by what he's able to do in meaningless preseason games and in practice.

Had he converted to WR, they surely would have given him a couple years to develop.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why didn't he learn to throw left-handed and play 3B?

DD

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Does anyone kind of wish we got him instead of the 6th round pick from the Schaub trade?

20. Major

Major Member

There are also a lot more WRs to start with, though. You regularly see really crappy QBs holding backup or 3rd string jobs, especially if they were once highly regarded (see David Carr) - in part because so few QBs make it to the NFL pool in the first place, and in part because there's a time investment by the team so experience in your system helps. Low-end WRs are a dime a dozen and there's no real investment there by a team, so they are more easily cut and disappear for the next low-end guy that might become good.

If TP switches to WR and sucks, there's no real reason for anyone to sign him. There are plenty of other choices out there that are likely much more fundamentally sound thanks to having played WR their whole life.