1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrell Owens in the expansion draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Jan 21, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Would be too good to be true, but according to CBS sportsline we're trying to trade him, not keep him. The best WR in the game doesn't come around very often...

http://www.sportsline.com/u/partners/aol/frameset.htm?http://cbs.sportsline.com/

The San Francisco 49ers are strongly considering placing All-Pro receiver Terrell Owens in their five-man expansion pool Tuesday, and the expansion Houston Texans are already shopping him around the league in a potential trade, according to a league source.

The source, speaking from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., said the Texans are calling other teams to see if there would be any interest in trading for the controversial receiver. The Texans are asking for a first- and a third-round choice in any trade if they were to select Owens in the Feb. 18 expansion draft.

Owens was seventh in the league in catches with 93 this season, third in receiving yardage (1,412 yards) and scored 16 touchdowns. But as much as he's accomplished on the field, he's done just as much to strain his relationship with 49ers coach Steve Mariucci.

The two men do not speak. The latest incident involving Owens came following the 49ers loss to the Green Bay Packers in an NFC wild-card game. Owens complained about the game plan, which led to his catching just four passes for 40 yards.

In 2000, Mariucci suspended Owens for a week for conduct detrimental to the team after he twice ran to midfield to celebrate touchdowns. Owens was fined a week's salary of by the team, which led to the strained relationship with his coach.

Earlier this year, after the 49ers blew a 19-point lead and lost at Chicago, Owens ripped into Mariucci for pulling back because he was a friend of Bears coach Dick Jauron.

"His buddy system with all the coach around the league," Owens said. "I think he tries to spare them sometimes. He doesn't want to embarrass a team. But you've got to understand if you're trying to win a championship, sometimes you can't spare feelings."

Owens is scheduled to be paid a base salary of $3.6 million and have a cap number of $6.061 million next season. The 49ers must also pay him a roster bonus of $500,000 on March 15 if he still with the team.

If the Texans were to select Owens in the expansion draft, the 49ers could wipe his contract from their books, which would mean a saving of $6.061 million next season. He is signed through 2006 and has cap figures (in millions) of $6.661 in 2003, $7.261 in 2004, $7.861 in 2005 and $7.389 in 2006.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

I just saw this on Sportscenter and was amazed. What I don't get is why doesn't SF just trade him for the 1st and 3rd rounders? Plus why do we not want him? Is it all attitude problems, or cap problems, or do we just wanna be as young as possible.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Wow. That would be an amazing blunder on the part of the 49ers, but hey, Owens or draft picks, that would be a great deal for the Texans.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I think SF avoids a cap hit by letting him get drafted - and I think the Houston people might be concerned that Owens attitude problems might be exacerbated by playing on a bad team like the Texans.

5. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Sounds like Casserly. Hopefully he doesn't trade for draft picks in which he then uses on project players. He was horrible in Washington for wasting picks constantly on "projects."

Now reading the spew in the Chronicle regarding CC is horribly distorted. Coming from NC where the Redskins are thoroughly covered, the two events in CC career he is most remembered for is trading down, then back up for Bailey. And putting together the roster that went 10-6 in 2000.

Okay, point one, CC tried his very best in Sean Gilbert negotiations to acquire a pick in 98 draft only. It was the arrogance of then HC Capers that sunk the Panthers into the 2 draft pick commitment when they signed Gillbert after the draft. Panthers sucked that year, which sent the #5 overall pick to DC.

Enough said on the 99 draft where Ditka gives the draft for RW. CC's one brilliant move in a 8 year career in DC finally paid some dividends. I will give him credit for that, but not for these goofs
    1. Heath Shuler
    2. 96 Draft where he trades a low second and third to move up 6 spots only to pick Andre Johnson, who did not even make it out of training camp. How many times in history has a first round pick not made the final roster?? Still on the board in that draft Brakens, Toomer, Alstott, Milloy, Muhammed, Godfrey

3. Basically all of his drafts from 93-97 only yielding Stephen Davis.

I never cared for CC, and felt his talent evaluation was overrated. Now you can argue it was Turners inability to exploit their talents, which I can swallow. But overall, I rate him a D minus at best.
    I am not rooting against him, but at the same time not getting my hopes up. Anyways, I hope they look at keeping Owens. It would be nice to see him in a Texans uniform running towards the middle of the field again agaisnt the Cowboys
    :D

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Not that I know jack crap about the NFL salary cap (except that they actually have one unlike stupid MLB), but why doesn't just trading him for the picks take him off the books for SF.

7. junglerules

junglerules Member

I think a lot of the problem, other than attitude, is the cap hit any team taking on Owens incurs. A 6 million dollar hit is huge, especially on a player that has become a bit of a cancer in some ways. Cancer might be a bit harsh, but it is clear that his desire to win and be involved in the offense can become manifested in speaking and acting out when things aren't going his way. I don't think anyone wants to take a chance on that in Houston. A first and third round pick for a team looking to start fresh and acquire quality depth would be incredible for the texans, but i don't think it'll happen.

8. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Becuase SF gave TO a huge signing Bonus 2 years ago. To trade him, the SB monies would immediately go under the 2002-2003 salary cap, which would force SF to cut players from the team.

The expansion draft is the only way for SF to avoid the accerlation of SB monies. It simply tranfers the entire contract to his new team.

So if SF and other teams wish to rid themselves of players recently signed with huge SB given up front, the expansion draft is the way to go.

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Casserly was an absolute genius. His picks panned out beatifully. What isnt known is that it was Norv Turner who got to pick most of those busts. Norv made the call on Heath, along with every other failing 1st rounder. Casserly was alowed to pick from the 2nd or 3rd round on most occasions. His draftee's include James Thrash, LaVarr Arrington, Chris Samuels (both pro bowlers in their second year-picked over the highly touted Peter Warrick) and Champ Bailey, Shawn Barber, along with several other great late round pick ups. He also orchestrated the 7 picks for Williams trade with N.O. and still got the guy the Skins wanted all along. Casserly is a GREAT GM. The Houston Texans will do well with Casserly.

10. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Thats funny, I remember Thrash being a free agent pick up from Philly. CC was not on staff after the 99 season, so how did he drafted Arrington and Samuels in 2000? I can post the history of CC drafts, and you can make any excuse you want about the guy and blame the bad moves on Norv, and the good moves on CC, either way, the GM has the duty of selecting the player, not the coach. And please, I have read what this cities only paper had to say about CC. No disenting opinion so everyone buys into the one source of news as factual. Hopefully you will not have to endure CC type drafts and FA picks ups like Washington fans endured. Look at this stat, 8 drafts, 2 pro bowl players drafted by CC (Bailey, Davis). And this is coming from a team that was pretty much picking top 10 almost 5 years straight.

11. JAG

JAG Member

While apparently, the Niners "considered" this move, it has not come to pass...According to Dan Pasqurelli ( spelling?) at ESPN, the 49ers have already handed in their list of 5 players, and Owens was not amongst them...