1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrell Brandon for Allan Houston?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BobFinn*, Dec 5, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I wouldn't pay attention to anything Vecsey has to say. He is all hot air.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

2. Summer Song Giver

Assuming the Knicks get a healthy Terrell Brandon I'd say it's a good deal for both teams,it would allow them both to play their players in the positions they are best suited for.

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

3. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Actually, I think the story is fairly accurate to both teams intents, despite coming from that denizen of useless and redundant hyperbole, Vecsey.

[​IMG]

------------------
    " ... When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view. ..."

Dang Bob did some one slip you a MickeyFinn? You are getting profound on us. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited December 05, 2000).]

4. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

From the NYPOST:

WOLF MAN ALLAN?
    Tuesday,December 5,2000
    Peter Vecsey

SO the Knicks, after beating my Clippers last night, are 4-1 with Latrell Sprewell caretaking the point in Charlie Ward's absence. But you know, of course, they're not fooling anyone, least of all themselves.
    Realizing they can only get away with a one-handed lead dribbler for so long without being rudely exploited, and vaguely understanding
    that Ward's game or nickname is not "The Answer," Garden boss Dave Checketts is hoping to exterminate two haunting problems by virtue of one trade.
    In other words, once again, the Knicks are seriously exploring the pros and cons of obtaining perennially injured Terrell Brandon from the Timberwolves, reveal New York informants.
    Should Checketts and his Garden Gofers determine it's a wise move to acquire a guy with roll-away ankles and a horrifying ($8.325M/$9.250M/$10.175M/$11.1M/
    $12.025M) guaranteed contract, Allan Houston ($9M/$10M/$11M) would be offered as compensation.
    On behalf of beleaguered owner-for-the-moment Glen Taylor and VP-until-further-notice Kevin McHale, who may no longer be in position to make a command decision at the appropriate time, I eagerly accept in advance.
    First of all, the T'Wolves have to be delighted with the two-dimensional play of free-agent pickup Chauncey Billups. Meaning, two guys who over-handle and shoot too much in the same backcourt is one too many. Brandon (31 May 20) is seven years older than Billups and currently earns $6M more, so we know who's expendable.
    The only conceivable impediment from the T'Wolves vantage point is Houston's escape clause at season's end - something management, in its infinitesimal wisdom, shouldn't really give a hydro-electric dam about.
    What does Houston actually gain from exercising it? Does he want to play for a bad team? Only the Bulls, Clippers, Pistons and maybe the Sonics will have enough room to pay him as much as he's already making. In fact, no team can give him more money, years or annual raises than his parent team.
    Could Houston force a sign-and-trade? Perhaps. But not if it doesn't make sense for the T'Wolves. They may be so happy to be relieved of Brandon's contract, if pushed too hard, I could see them renouncing Houston and replacing him with a mid-level ($4M) free agent exception. That's how they got Billups.
    As much as I appreciate Houston's professionalism and production, logic and the logjam at shooting guard dictate he's the odd man out. No Knick is more effective, entertaining or energized than Sprewell, whereas no Knick is more euthanized than Glen Rice. Jeff Van Gundy had better plug him into the offense before he's compelled to pull the plug on him altogether.
    Experience has taught me to doubt just about everything that seeps out of Checketts' domain. Nonetheless, I tend to believe what I was told yesterday by a Garden hearing aide. For the above reasons, Checketts does not plan to re-sign Houston should he opt out; thus, the idea is to deal him while there's still a season to seize.
    Naturally, there's always at least one party pooper willing to vent an opposite view point. "First Mutombo, now Brandon," column castigator Frank Drucker snickered. "The Knicks must have a penchant for acquiring someone diseased or disabled."

***I think this would be a good trade for both teams contingent on Billups being able to move over to the PG position and play effectively. Houston would give the Wolves another scoring weapon and take some of the pressure off of Garnett. Billups has really improved this season playing at the SG spot, but he has not shown a penchant in the past that he would be effective at the PG position. This trade just might happen if the Knicks aren't able to trade for Mutombo.

***What are your thoughts?

------------------