1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tennessee Coal Slurry Disaster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, Mar 20, 2014.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Lovely expose of the Kingston Coal Sludge Disaster (2008) and how the industry learned nothing, and thanks to lobbying, federal inaction, and nonsensical secrecy requirements, virtually nothing has been done to prevent it from happening again.

Worth a read.

And oh yeah, it happened again just recently.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This is why we need fracking. The naysayers will continue to wrongly contend that CO2 is a pollutant and talk about how we should drive electric cars with coal generated electricity.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why need to develop multiple energy sources, improve energy efficiency in technology and development, and conserve.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why we should conserve as much as possible.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not sure I understand the responses above. I mean, I agree that conservation is a good thing, but the real point to this story (IMO) is that it's foolhardy to trust an industry to regulate itself.

And this is no mere anecdote. There are tons of data points that reinforce my statement above.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I agree. I was and I think Azadre were responding to Cohete's post that because there are some big problems with coal means we need more fracking.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

They're not regulating themselves, they're paying regulators not to do it for them. duh.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Coal is not as powerful now as it was in 2008 (thanks to fracking). Hopefully, that means regulation is becoming more feasible.