1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Telling Anderson he can only shoot 3's really devalues his skill set.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Nov 2, 2017.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

i dont know if it's coaching instructed or self preference but I think we need to use Anderson more like Reddick. Run some plays for him to get him over. I realize he's a forward and won't have the off the ball movement like Reddick but we have to move him around. The way he played last night is how he should play most night. It added some much needed balance to our offense. He's probably our best pure shooter and most game all we do is camp him 3 feet behind the perimeter. It's like telling Andre johnson not to run anything but fly routes so everybody else underneath can benefit and get one on matchups with the secondary. No slants, bubble screens, or curl routes. Just fly route. Even on 1st and goal.

I don't care about his perceived overpaid value. We devalue him much more than his contract over values him. We're not getting the most out his skillset. For as great a strategy as Dantoni offense, it marginalizes players skill sets which isn't always a bad thing but I think in his case it is.

Anderson should have the green light on every shot he wants, specifically long twos. He should take what the defense allows him and trust me, they'll give him more than just open threes. His shot is just that good. Having him camp camp out there on the three point line is ok some nights(specifically against draymond) but most night it's just letting the defense off the hook.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

granted the knicks defense is crap and anderson was on fire, but we definitely do need to get him more shots attempts and get them from other places on the floor besides the arc. and we all know how making a couple shots or just a layup (and actually a FT line J is like a layup for him) can get a guy going from outside as well. both morey and pringles need to diversify the offense ASAP

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Ryan Anderson is a good mid-range shooter and they need to incorporate that into the offense. When he has a mismatch against smaller guards they need to post them up.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I didn’t get to see much of the game but I’ve said this since last year. Dude is a versatile offensive weapon. If he’s just a standstill shooter for us then we are wasting him

Mazulis and mac_got_this like this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

I think the Rockets should change their philosophy to shooting midrange shots early in the game, then eventually shooting 3's. Once Anderson gets his rhythm early it's over

Mazulis likes this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don't mind the three point chucking strategy but I do mind shot selection. Ariza taking some superstar heat check threes and all I have to say is "was that really necessary Ariza?". He can take 10 threes but they should not be walk up threes, only spot-up.

cheke64 likes this.
  7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

[​IMG]

8.7 2 point attempts with the Pels. Only 2 this years. That's way too low.

Yung-T and desi tmac91 like this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Anderson has always been a overall good scorer that CAN shoot threes.

He was never a three bot because he's too streaky. Hell we are turning Harden into shooting 17 threes a game like wtf

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not sure i agree with this, in the end Ryan is still a limited player overall, and pretty easy to guard because he can't get past his man (just look at when he pumpfakes and still can't attack his man even if they jump, it happens in every game) and as you said he can't really run around screens to get the shots Reddick can get. And while he has a nice fade away, i'm not really sure that's the kind of play you want to ride, cause he's not Nowitzki or LMA, a good defense is probably going to make that pretty inefficient, definitely far from unguardable. I mean, Ryan is playing well the way he's playing right now, he's doing his job (on both ends) and i'd say he's one of our 2/3 best players as today so, sure, if there's a particular match up to take advantage of (and there won't be many btw, especially against Western Conference teams), give him few more post possessions, but overall i don't like the idea of giving him the green light to take more shots, that's just not his job, he's not a scorer, he's a shooter. Also lol at the heat check threes by Ariza, i agree with you on this, hate those shots...and the full court passes by Harden that most of times make this happen.

#9 Vivi, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's because he was coming off the bench as the best player in a terrible team and he had the green light to do whatever he wanted, the Pelicans were a pile pof trash.

roslolian likes this.
  11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I totally agree. In my opinion Anderson is having a sneaky good year so far both offensively and defensively.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I don't have the stats but I think he's really effective posting up guards in mismatches but they just don't give it to him.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

@mac_got_this Exactly! Check my thread about versatile roster, arguing the same for not just Ryan.

mac_got_this likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a scenario were i don't mind giving Ryan a shot.

ashleyem likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

His imitation of Dirk, with that off-one-foot fadeaway is pretty lethal, on a smaller guy. While Anderson should always be a threat on the 3p line, Anderson should bully smaller guys if he ever gets matched on them.

16. hakeemthagreat

Yea MDA needs to really have a sit down with Ariza about that. There was one last night he just ran up and shot the 3 without even looking at the rim. I just don't think neglecting the midrange shot is beneficial to our offense. I actually think it'll open the floor up for more quality 3's. Guys like Ariza would benefit from pump faking, and taking a step inside the arc for a better shot

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Someone last season dared call me stupid for suggesting Anderson needs to be given more opportunities than just those camped 5 feet beyond the 3 point line.

Glad people are seeing this.

Moleb and don grahamleone like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL a lot of these have to do with Ryan Anderson's mental midget tendencies. Last year as a starter with 30 mins Anderson took a grand total of 10.7 shots a game. Lou Williams took 11.5 in 23 mins. So it's not the Rockets "limiting" Anderson's capabilities, it is Anderson taking himself out of the game and putting himself on the level of Ariza who is primarily a defender. Asking Anderson to be like Reddick and sprint around on screens is wishful thinking, when has Anderson ever sprinted anywhere? He just jogs around that's why the Rox always end up giving up transition points. Asking for more mid range attempts from Anderson? Since Anderson shoots so little I would like his attempts to be 3 pters, I mean that's the job we got him to do if he used his paltry 10 shots a game on mid ranges he would be even more useless than he is now. You don't want this klutz in the paint where a simple shove would probably result in a season ending injury (dude got injured taking out the trash!), you want him as far away from human contact as much as possible. He has more Mr. Glass in him than David Dunn, if you know what I mean. Plus with Capela already in the paint you really only have space for just 1 more guy inside otherwise it gets too congested. I'd rather that guy be Harden or Eric Gordon than Ryan Anderson.

Nobody would love it more than me if Anderson got possessed by Antoine Walker and started chucking shots left and right. Unfortunately it won't happen it's not in Anderson's DNA especially when his first few shots don't go down Anderson loses all confidence and stops shooting.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's got a great spin move.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Anderson has never been timid to take shots when he was in Orlando or New Orleans. In fact he was world class chucker when he was a Pelican. He probably just taking a back seats because that's what he think is effective with the system.