1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me if this is possible..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coma, Jul 21, 2001.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

I don't know the exact ramifications of the following, so maybe one of you can point it out to me..

But, why can't we trade Cato and SA to someone with a lot of cap space (Bulls) for a minimum, ie. 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. That way, we can keep Dream and pay him Cato's money. Would that work? Or is there some kind of clause stating that we need to have some kind of balance.

The Rockets really wouldn't lose out in that deal, since 1) we could keep Dream 2) get rid of Cato and SA, and 3) granted a 2nd or 3rd rounder might not be that good, this is the team we want to compete with anyway.

So am I crazy?

------------------
    There goes the challenger being chased
    by the blue blue meanies on wheels.
    The vicious traffic squad cars are after our lone driver ..
    the last american hero ..
    the-the electric sintar ..
    the demi-god ..
    the super driver of the golden west!
    two nasty cars are close behind ..
    the beautiful lone driver ..
    the police cars are getting closer, closer...
    closer to our soul hero in his soul mobile ..
    yeah baby!
    they're about to strike, they gonna get him,
    smash!, rape!
    the last beautiful free soul on this planet
    but... it's written if the evil spirit arms
    the tiger with claws
    brahman provided wings for the dove
    thus spake the super guru

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually that's possible, and the Rockets would do it in a heartbeat, but teams with a lot of cap room, like the Bulls, don't want Cato.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

Yea, but if all they had to give up was a 2nd or 3rd rounder..it should be ano brainer.

------------------
    the demi-god ..
    yeah baby!
    smash!, rape!
    the tiger with claws

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

not possible. The Bulls don't have a third round pick this year. Or next year, or the year after that......

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

gr8-1,

I'm not talking about specifics..

Basically, can we send Cato and maybe SA to a team with a lot of cap space, whoever that may be, in return for basically next to nothing. Be it a draft pick 5 yrs from now, or the crappiest player they have.

------------------
    the demi-god ..
    yeah baby!
    smash!, rape!
    the tiger with claws

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

He means that there are no third round draft picks. The draft is done in two rounds.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm not sure I want to trade crap for crap. And, I think SA is a serviceable 2/3, I think he's gonna lose alot of minutes. I don't think he'll be happy here. I know he thinks he'll get minutes, but I think T-Mo/Griff will keep him on the bench.

I would love to get rid of Cato's salary. But, I still think he could be a serviceable center. Is there anyone out there that is better and available ? Marc Jackson, yes. But it seems like there is no interest from either party.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

I agree that crap fpr crap is not ideal, but if we can get crap from another team that costs very little allowing us to sign all our FA including Dream, and lose Cato, I think that's not a bad idea. Perhaps it would open some money to sign someone, like a Marc Jackson.

But thanks, I just wanted to know if it was a possibility.

As for the third round comment, I was trying to convey that we'd settle for next to nothing if we could accomplish the above.

I'll try and be as literal as I can the next time.

------------------
    the demi-god ..
    yeah baby!
    smash!, rape!
    the tiger with claws

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its not crap for crap its crap for space. Cap space is a valued commodity well worth the loss of Anderson.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As pointed out earlier, it's technically possible to trade Cato for cap space, but realistically no team with cap space (there's only a couple of them) is going to take on Cato's contract. It's also technically possible for the Rockets to trade a bunch of bench players for Shaq, but realistically it isn't going to happen. If a team with cap space was willing to take Cato, he would already be gone. If you were the Bulls or Piston's would you take on Cato's contract?

------------------

11. coma

coma Contributing Member

aelliot,

I agree. No team in their right mind would take Cato, after watching his performance last season, or lack of.

But take the Bulls for example, I know they are way under cap space, and didn't we have a potential deal with them before the draft? Something like Cato and our draft picks to them for their pick.

But since we have a few ppl we can let go of, that the Bulls could use, I wonder if that's an option.

Jamal Crawford might be out all season, they signed Greg Anthony, who is average. Shandon can help them out at the two, maybe throw in Walt or Langhi, granted they take Cato also. Didn't someone by the name of Tim Floyd have great luck getting Cato to work?

------------------
    the demi-god ..
    yeah baby!
    smash!, rape!
    the tiger with claws

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

But take the Bulls for example, I know they are way under cap space, and didn't we have a potential deal with them before the draft? Something like Cato and our draft picks to them for their pick.

I've seen deals like that proposed on this bbs, but I've never seen it reported anywhere. The Rockets definitely talked to the Bulls about moving up, but Cato being included is pure speculation.

Jamal Crawford might be out all season, they signed Greg Anthony, who is average. Shandon can help them out at the two

Well, let's see:

1. Shandon is a FA and he'd have to agree to go to the Bulls.
    2. The Bulls already have Ron Mercer at the 2 and they just signed Eddie Robinson to be the SF. Tyson Chandler will also play the 3. I'm not seeing their need for Anderson.
    3. Why would the Rockets do a sign and trade for Anderson? If they just want to free up cap space, then simply renounce him.

maybe throw in Walt or Langhi, granted they take Cato also. Didn't someone by the name of Tim Floyd have great luck getting Cato to work?

Again, why would Chicago want a couple of SF types, especially at the price of also taking Cato.

Floyd coached Cato at ISU, but that doesn't really matter. Pitino won a national championship with Mercer and Walker and he shipped off Mercer and couldn't get along with Walker. If Cato had a low salary, then I'd bet Floyd would take him. But at $6M+, he's not going to take him. Also, Chicago just drafted Curry to play center and they already had Brad Miller. Why would they want a third center who's making that kind of cash?

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited July 21, 2001).]