1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me how we're going to defend the Jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. Their team hasn't changed all that much to tell me something drastically different is going to happen.

I also believe that Harden in general is better than last year and our bench is better than last year too.

Ramathorn006 and D-rock like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Really glad they have a star/superstar wing instead of a super skilled big, because our players are used to defending that kind of player in practice, in Harden.

Contain Mitchell, somewhat contain Ingles and cheat off the Spanish Rondo whenever.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How? We cook em. We cook em all.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  4. smokieethabear

The more important question is, which Rocket will be the target of some racist slur/statement from one of the many idiotic Jazz fans in games 3&4?

5. s3ts

s3ts Member

I think we'll be okay with the healthy squad vs this Jazz team.

We were 2-2 on the season against them. But in the loss games:
    1. Harden went for 13 pts
    2. Melo, MCW, Gary Clark were all getting minutes, and started MCW in one of them...

I will say, Mitchell did not play in our 2nd loss to them, and Derrick Favors punished us w/ 24 pts. With Nene, Manimal on the squad backing up a healthy Clint, I don't think that's going to happen again.

The key, also, isn't about how we defend the Jazz. It's how we score on them.

We truly live & die by the 3. If we hit them, it will open up the whole floor for rim-runs and dunks. If we're not hitting them, it will become a really tough game.

6. basketballholic

Actually you're wrong.

My concern defensively is how we're going to deal with their size. That's about the 4/5 spots. So Capela involved there. Tell me about our defensive matchups instead of being a dumbbutt.

7. basketballholic

Sure. Their defense.... That can be discussed in a different thread. Needs to be discussed too. Let's leave this thread at how we're going to defend them please. Don't make it about our offense, or their defense, or Capela, or Rubio, or a bunch of crap.

How are we going to defend them?

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

EASY. We trade for Thong Maker to defend Goburt and then we trade for Rubio to guard Rubio.

Git et dun Moreknee.

Lakers about to be blowing up my celly to offer me the President job on a platinum platter.

9. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Ingles and Korver need to never be wide open

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Before reading can someone confirm that this is a Capela cant guard Gobert because Capela sucks thread?

11. Denovo

Denovo Member

Is Faried healthy?

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

We all wait, breathlessly, for the wisdom that will guide us through the turbulent times ahead, save us b'bholic, you're our only hope...

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm not worried about nothing, we have House.

BallSoHarden and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Fishman5222

Fishman5222 Member

Aren't they all?

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about we start with this. Can you explain why you think "the same way as last year" isn't valid? I assume this will revolve around losing Ariza/Luc? I'd be interested to read an in depth post from you about the specifics, and why we need a new strategy to defend a team that we handled pretty easily last year.

Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  16. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Ya ... as long as we don't let ingles pop off, and maybe rubio? Then I think we fine

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I thought Greesheet was free.

18. basketballholic

Ok, let's start there.

Last year they started Gobert/Favors and we blasted that lineup. So they went away from the double-big lineup the last two games.

Now this year, they've added Korver. Are they going to start with 2 bigs...or are they going to start Gobert, 3 shooters and Rubio??? How do we matchup defensively???

Let's assume they play double big lineup 10 minutes a game. We no longer have Ariza/Luc like last year. How are we going to defend them???????

Now assume they run Gobert and Favors alternating at the 5 with the guards plus Crowder, Ingles, Royce, etc taking turns at the 3/4 spots....how are we going to match up against that defensively.

harold bingo likes this.
  19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

It will be a tough series, Jazz are going to be playing us with a lot of intensity after last seasons playoffs

Especially Gobert. Gobert got abused by Capela last season, Gobert will be playing like a man on a mission.

We have got to be prepared.

Relativist likes this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I said Capela. You said Capela involved. And you said I'm wrong. Where is your smart butt logic here.

The fact that you jump right to framing people as dumbbutt shows how much of an a$$ you are. If you don't like people digging through your sugar veneer "talking about defense blah blah blah" and revealing the inevitable agenda (Capela useless, Rubio the king, Winslow the future hall of famer blah blah blah), fight an honorable fight and debate an honorable debate. No one would take your smart a$$ analysis seriously if you retain this "I know basketball better than all your idiotic kids from the 21st century would ever do" hubristic attitude and aim to teach everyone a god damn lesson every time you open your haughty mouth holic.

I do agree with you in some way. Capela registered -19 net rating in about 100 minutes facing the Jazz this year. As soon as the Jazz has an effective scheme against the Houston switching, this will show (although Capela dominated in last year's playoffs against them). Favors played well and that was a big reason leading to the two wins against the Rockets this year.