1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ted Cruz and his family are on Obamacare

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Mar 28, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ted Cruz Called Out for Inconsistency Despite Strong Words Against Obamacare

Cruz (R-Tex.) was in the zone last week, having kicked off his presidential campaign at Liberty University and receiving initial praise from his fellow conservatives. And it wasn’t long before he bore down on Obamacare, something that has long been a pet peeve of his and other Republicans.

Indeed, Cruz didn’t mince any words when he described Obamacare as “unconstitutional” and as a “train wreck.” In more precise terms, he said that the Obama administration’s healthcare program “puts a government bureaucrat between you and your doctor.” He even had more quips for CNN in a recent interview following the announcement of his presidential campaign.

“We’ll be getting new health insurance, and we’ll presumably do it through my job in the Senate, and so we’ll be on the federal exchange like millions of others on the federal exchange,” said Cruz. “I believe we should follow the law, even laws I disagree with.”

However, Cruz’s proclamations have not come without criticism, even from Republicans such as the camp of former Florida Governor Jeb Bush. According to an unnamed strategist backing Bush, Cruz had a “superb announcement,” but his message “got thrown off by this Obamacare distraction.” This was because Cruz, after his strong words against Obamacare, apparently didn’t have a concrete plan on how to deal with the pressing health insurance issue. As a result, pundits have seen him as being inconsistent, despite initial praise for being a man who stands up for his principles.

link

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wouldn't criticize him for how he provides health care for his family, just like I wouldn't b**** about some public school advocate or teacher's union rep sending their kid to Governor Dummer or Belmont Hill.

3. Major

Major Member

I don't really see a problem here. "Obamacare" is not a particular type of insurance. He's not getting a subsidy, so all he's really doing is getting health insurance.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Thought Senators had their own plan...

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is he on foodstamps too?

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He could get directly from an insurance company and not through the exchange, but the exchange is more convenient and cheaper.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

All this proves is that Cruz has once again been shown to be nothing but a flamethrower and provocateur. He has no chance to be president and never really wanted to be.

8. Major

Major Member

It's more convenient, sort of. It's not cheaper - the same plans are available either way. The exchange is the just a federal version of EHealthInsurance.com, which has been around for many years. The only real reason to use the exchange is if you're getting subsidies, which he will not be. Honestly, no one else should - EHealthInsurance offers all the same plans and is just a better run system.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

What a ridiculous hypocrite. I don't expect or even tolerate it when our national representatives follow the laws that they don't agree with!

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They know obamacare is not going to be repealed. We should have universal healthcare pretty much like the rest of the 1st world.

11. Nook

Nook Member

To me the most telling part of this article is that Cruz made his announcement at Liberty University.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Repubs pushed through a bill requiring Congress members to use the exchanges, thinking it would embarrass Dems. But Dems happily went along and helped pass the bill.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Give him credit. It's better than Philadelphia, MS.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

And then begged the Obama administration to make sure they get to keep their employer provided subsidies, even though I think that would make them the only people buying insurance on the exchanges that get to use un-taxed employer contributions.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

a fun read

It's so hard to be an Obamacare-hating Republican these days

Whether by choice or by necessity, a pair of prominent Republicans dared to step outside the conservative thought bubble and interact with the real world of how people actually go about getting their health care—and the experience hasn't gone well for their chosen narrative. Will it change anything inside the wall of Republican epistemic closure? Not likely. But it at least demonstrates to everyone else how absurd the conservative anti-Obamacare charade has become.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And by "follow the laws they don't agree with" you mean purposefully and voluntarily avail themselves of the benefits and protections of something that they described as serfdom/slavery/fascism and an existential threat to society and over which they tried to shut the government down, damaging the lives of millions of citizens they purport to serve.

That's what u meant bro Amirite?

1 person likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he chooses an Obamacare plan is fascinating.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Isn't every healthcare plan on the market purchased individually "under Obamacare?"

Is he being ridiculed because he bought it through the exchange or something?

The backstory I heard is that Cruz's wife quit her job and the family had to go to the marketplace for health insurance. Is that not true?

19. False

False Member

I think this story is pretty pointless. I guess it makes an appeal to emotion, but who cares if he uses Obamacare or not. I guess he could decide not to have healthcare, but that's pretty silly. What matters about Ted Cruz is that many of his views are wrong for this nation for a whole host of reasons, not whether he is a slight hypocrite on ticky-tack issues.

If this is the best "dirt" that critics can level at him, then I think that he will be in for a pretty smooth sailing primary which he will still will likely lose.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How is Cruz any more of a hypocrite than Democrats who take advantage of the same tax breaks they rail against?