1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech News] Sprint/Softbank about to close on T-Mobile merger?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, May 30, 2014.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

http://news.yahoo.com/deutsche-telekom-accepts-softbanks-offer-buy-t-mobile-122247354--finance.html?

BANGALORE/FRANKFURT, May 29, (Reuters) - Germany’s Deutsche Telekom AG is willing to keep a minority stake in a deal to sell T-Mobile US Inc to Japan’s Softbank Corp, but other details such as price and financing remain to be worked out, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Softbank owns a majority of Sprint Corp S.N, the third largest U.S. wireless carrier. Deutsche Telekom owns 67 percent of T-Mobile, which has a market value of $27.6 billion and is the fourth-largest U.S. wireless carrier.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Please, no. I'm trying to get away from Sprint by going to t-mobile.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its not a big deal. Its pretty clear most people wouldn't go to either of these two companies as it is. Perhaps once they merge, they can actually build a network that will compete with ATT and Verizon. Sadly, they are half a decade behind from that ever happening.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been with T-Mobile forever and want nothing to do with the failure known as Sprint.

Hope the feds shoot this down and T-Mobile gets another pot of cash out of it. Doubtful.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't understand everyone's hate of sprint.

I've had t-mobile before till I moved and their coverage sucked, so I got att. Then I moved to do sprint when the Evo 4g came out. I've been happy since.

Unlimited data.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. I have been very happy with Sprint. They were updating their towers in our area and we had some dropped call problems. They sent us an Air Rave and things worked great. Now that the towers are fully operational, no more need for the Air Rave.

Unlimited everything helps as well.

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

**** Sprint. Unlimited data through a straw. Don't fall for that "network vision" bull**** they're trying to feed their customers. Or those "new network" commercials.

Those 1900mhz PCS towers have needed upgrades since the early 2000's. The signal doesn't penetrate buildings all that great, and they jump the gun way to early.

Remember the Sprint-Nextel merger? How'd that turn out? Are they even using those iDEN towers anymore? lol.

How'd that WI-max on the 2.5ghz (a joke ) spectrum work out?

The capacity for EVDO- revision A is supposed to be 3.1mbps. Has anyone ever seen more than 1mb down on Sprint 3G?

Lol @ Tri-band for Sprint Spark. eSCFB hasn't even been completed at all of their sites.

Sprint is straight up a company that needs to die. The majority of their postpaid subscribers are people who can't get accepted at At&t or Verizon because you can literally just turn 18, and be approved for like 4 lines right out of high school. On that note, there's nothing wrong with getting a good deal and not paying a lot for cell phone service, but even Cricket is better than this ****. (Their network runs off of at&t now) The rest are just oblivious to what's going on and just use talk and text, and the rest well actually get good service and there's nothing wrong.

Can you imagine the spectrum cluster**** if they merged with T-Mobile? My goodness. They're just desperate for that 700mhz spectrum that T-Mobile got from Verizon.

#7 Scionxa, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I hope it happens. Why? because I'm locked in a contract with Sprint and their service is horrible. Hope buying t-mobile will improve sprint's services.

9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

T-Mobile customer for the past 6 years. Have always been happy with their service (other than not having iPhone untill recently, but its turned me into an Android user instead)

I had Sprint before and they were the absolute worst. Dropped calls, poor customer service.

I'm praying this doesn't happen and gets shot down

10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Sprint is the AT&T of phone companies.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Been a Sprint customer since 2006.

22down 10up

I'm happy.

12. HPD

HPD Member

Me since it was voicestream.....

13. Two Sandwiches

I have the same phone. Fairly nice phone.

I live in a town of about 110,000 in an area of about 300,000 people like, about 90 miles from three different major cities. We never got wimax. When they announced the "network vision" crap that should have given good LTE to their customers, I was slightly excited.

So, I got a phone with LTE, and hd voice. I heard that their network would be done by 2014. Here it is, 2014 and they haven't even started on LTE in my area. Actually, it will be one of the last areas in the network to get it. I can't even make a phone call from my house without dropping it. Literally, any call more than five minutes gets dropped at least once.

There are only a couple spots in town where I can get data signals. I'm a building? Forget it. Unlimited data? Yeah, it's unlimited because I get it all from wifi.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Spot on! Don't forget Sprint adopted LTE-TDD. Which essentially means their flavor of LTE extremely difficult for cross-carrier roaming.
    And the atrocities go back further than that. Sprint used to have a lions share of 850mhz. They sold it all off in exchange for a coast-to-coast license of the crappy 1900mhz band.
    Sprint is a breeding ground for bad ideas. I want to believe Softbank will make a difference, but Sprint has a bad track record to believe this will work out.

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Preach brother! I'm not sure how I forgot about that. Also, let me further my rant for others know not to lock themselves with Sprint.

Look at their stock price and how much that **** has dipped in the past ten years. Its practically useless. Their shareholders are barely holding on to hope for that company.

They have boatloads of 2.5ghz spectrum but its going to be useless. Do they really expect to have phones that run off a ton of spectrum if they merge with tmobile?

Sprint even thinks they have a shot at the upcoming 600mhz auction. L oh L

You heard it here first, if Verizon , at&t, or Tmobile win the 600mhz, its ts to bring out the coffin for Dan Hesse.

Want to know of another atrocity? Sprint sold over 90% of their towers to TowerCo and leased them instead . what does this mean? If something happens at a tower site, it takes significantly longer to fix.

Also, they started testing SVDO back in 2008 so they could say "hey we can simultaneous voice and data like at&t" and just ****ing gave up after some trials in new jersey lmao.

And on that note, the Sprint Spark network doesn't even support simultaneous voice and data lol. Sprints response to this issue? It will be there when we launch voice over LTE.

Lmfao! Voice over LTE on Sprint ? They haven't even completed network vision for 1900mhz and they're talking about VOLTE? Get the **** out of here.

Verizon is ready to launch that and that will be the first test in the future of voice communication

Any Sprint supporters ? Come at me bro.

#15 Scionxa, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  16. Two Sandwiches

They don't exist.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Big fan of T-Mobile, being with them for years. This is bad news.