1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teams that you think will under- or over-perform expectations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Curious what everyone thinks.

Here are mine. Maybe some are a bit knee-jerk reactions based on early season play...

Under-Performer Candidate:

1. Clippers: Sure CP is great and Griffin is talented, but lets not forget this team won 32 games last season and gave up a very good Eric Gordon the the bargain for CP. The team is very thin up front, with Brian Cook being the 1st big off the bench right now (and I don't really love Reggie Evans, either)-- and your backup big is gonna play minutes given DeAndre Jordan's penchant for fouls.

Mo Williams and Billups are great shooters, but like the rest of their guards (CP, Foye, Bledsoe) are on the small side if they have to play SGs.

Also, lets not forget their head coach is still Vinny Del Negro.

2. Knicks: The team gets touted for having 2 stars and adding Tyson Chandler. I thnk many undervalue the loss of Billups (given the replacements) and forget they were only 42-40 last season. I think they are gonna win some games off of heroics by Melo and Amare, but they are likely going to be up and down and end up with a 6-8th seed.

3. Memphis: Despite 20 pt win agaisnt the Rockets and nice playoff run, lets remember this is still an 8th seed team. I also think the loss of Battier might end up affecting them more than most might think it would.

Over-Performer Candidate:

1. Spurs: Got a bad rap for playoff loss to the 8th seed, but they still got talent and it doesn't look like Parker, Duncan and Ginobili are washed up quite yet.

2. Lakers: Also got bad rap for playoff choke job and letting Odom and Phil Jackson go doesn't help. Still, they have Kobe, Gasol and Bynum.

3. Houston: Probably homer pick, but... I think this team will be better than the .500 record that most ESPN-types predict it to be. The team won 43 game last year, had a pt differential that suggested it should have won more and was even better in the 2nd half of the season. I think the team has made improvements on several fronts. First, Aaron Brooks was horrible last season, and he's not going to be around to hurt the team any more during those "rehab-type" minutes that Adelman gave him. Jordan Hill was also terrrible and looked lost last season. He and Brooks used to spell doom for the Rockets. Hill seems better and much more focused now. Losing Hayes hurts, but it seems that Dalembert is a more than capable replacement and he fills the rim-protector role that this team has needed since Yao and Mutombo went down in 2009.

2. VBG

VBG Member

Well Pacers expectations have skyrocketed now but they were initial candidates for ocer achieving.

3. Spankie

Spankie Member

What are the rockets' expectations?

4. Spankie

Spankie Member

wow nvm, i didnt read the rockets one

5. Roxs-Redemption

Is Rockets over-performer a good thing or a bad thing? I'm confused! :confused:

6. opticon

opticon Member

Good job. Your post reads like something I would expect to see on ESPN.

Over-performer means they are exceeding expectations which is a good thing.

I think the rockets are going play better then what the media thinks.
    Also I think our new coaching staff is going to force down the throats what is working against teams versus reading and reacting.