1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

team evaluation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nwcougar, May 10, 2015.

1. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Since Harden seems to take the most heat despite the poor play of everyone else, let's start with him. Harden is a GREAT free throw shooter, one of the best in the league, so you can't gamble on him. That being said, he doesn't get the calls in the playoffs and needs other players to step up to take some of the pressure off. Harden is the ONLY player on the team that can create a shot for himself, but going one on one will only go so far in the playoffs when other teams decide to double team. Harden in a 2 guard, not a point guard but he leads the team in assist and has one of the best assist rates as a 2 in the NBA. However, the Rockets desperately need a PG to set plays. They need a guy quick enough to get past defenders to find a wide open Harden for a jumper or layup.

Howard - this guy missed a lot of games this year and will probably miss more as he ages w/ bad knees. He's played well in the playoffs but can't be relied upon consistently since he can't shoot FT's. He will NEVER be a good FT shooter but he does bring something the Rockets lack, and that's defense. Is he worth 20 mil? No. Sadly, his salary makes it hard to find a surrounding cast of players to take it to the next level.

Smith - see above but with less offense and more turnover prone. I like what Smith brings on the defensive side of the ball but he's a major liability in the playoffs as a poor FT shooter, and his 3-point shooting is atrocious. Why Morey signed a guy shooting 27% from 3 with this style of offense is beyong me.

Terry - I thought Terry played well all year given his age. He brings leadership and still has the ability to light it up from the outside in stretches. Is he a starter? Nope. He's a back-up 2-guard. Did I mention that he's 37? He can no longer keep up with other younger players. He'll be 38 next year. Aside from Prigioni, are there older players in the NBA?

Speaking of Prigs, I'm not sure why Morey signed this guy. He's too damn old the play D, and his offense is non-existent. Enough said.

DMO - one of the biggest surprises this year. Played well in Howard's absence and was clearly missed in the playoffs. I expect big things form him next year. Solid contributor on offense as a low-post threat, can rebound, and clog the lane.

Beverley - I'm not sure what happened to this guy but he took a step back last year on both sides of the ball. I hope Morey let's him walk or signs him for the minimum. He's a solid backup but not a starter.

Ariza - solid defender and contributor this year but he's inconsistent as a 3-point shooter. Not sure what else to say but he's a good role player who can easily be replaced.

Jones - He's a solid bench player and tends to play well in stretches but has never put it all together. I praised him after coming back from injury but he will never be a consistent scorer, and his 3-point shot is even more inconsistent. So far, he's crumbled during every playoff series. Not good. He just doesn't match up well with other bigs and his shot release is way too slow to be a scorer.

Brewer. I LOVE his energy and defense but he's not a good 3-point shooter and is turnover prone. Again, solid contributor but not a starter.

Capella - another pleasant surprise as he came on the last part of the season. This kid has a high ceiling but needs to get MUCH stronger to play on the blocks. He actually improved a lot at the FT line unlike Smith and Howard. One can attribute that to hard work and dedication in the gym. I would hang onto this kid and see where he's at in a few years. Could be a solid player for years to come with his athleticism.

Dosey - can play a little D but brings absolutely nothing on offense. Once again, another horrific FT shooter that can't be relied upon.

Johnson - needs to be replaced. Athletic, I'll give him that but he can't shoot. IF he could develop an outside shot he might be a good bench player. At this point, though, I just don't see it.

Papawhatever - He was playing okay before his injury although he lacks what the team needs, a 3-point shooter. Defensively he's solid and he's actually a decent passer. Other than that, he's not worth the 5 mil singing by Morey.

McDaniels - super athletic but he probably won't be back unless Morey coughs up some dough. He's another poor 3-point shooter that doesn't fill a need for the team. Again, I'm not sure why Morey signed this guy. Maybe he has a potential but he'll need to develop an outside shot to stick around.

I don't know if I'm missing anyone else but there's a reason they haven't been mentioned.

Morey - I gave him major props for singing Harden and Howard but I never thought those two players alone could win a championship without a solid supporting cast of players. I liked his singing of Brewer and Smith only because they added to a depleted bench and Smith came on the cheap. That being said, some of his moves are questionable at best, and the lack of 3-point shooters on the team that relies so heavily on the 3 is mind boggling. What's more concerning is the constant turnover of players every year. I understand he's looking overseas but is Sergio Lull rally that good. He looks like another Papa-type player on video, and his 3-point shooting is not his strength. I'm not sure what he has planned for next year but he needs to find a suitable PF that can score and hit some damn FT's.

Looking forward I think Morey needs to forget about Smith and Jones. Package those guys for a pick and sign a PF like Milsap, West, or Draymond Green. Green is probably too expensive but that dude plays with energy and can shoot the 3 ball while guarding 3 positions. Draft a damn PG that can shoot and score. Sign a FA wing player like Aminu that can shoot the 3 and play D. If Howard opts out, make a strong push for LA. If not LA then go after Brook Lopez or Jordan. Do that, and this team takes another step forward.

2. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Howard cant opt out till next year.....

3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Get rid of Smith and Brewer.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

History repeating. Tmac and Yao and now Harden and HowZrd are surrounded by CRAP.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

100% Coaching

Rocket River

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Everyone is expendable on the roster besides Harden, Howard, and Motiejunas IMO. I expect Morey to once again clear as much cap space as possible to get a 3rd star. I hope we can keep some of these other players as long as they're cheap

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

fixed

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I think you keep Harden, Motiejunas, Capela and Beverley (IF you can keep him at backup PG money to be a backup). Jury's out on KJ.

Everyone else is suspect. Dwight's no longer worth #2 money, imo. He's not good enough on offense, and his body will only break down more moving forward.

Smith honestly might be worth keeping at the current price, since he's a value, but I wouldn't be sad to see him elsewhere.

We need to make decisions based on catching the Warriors and Clippers. We aren't close right now.

9. WestendMassive

Morey put together a fantastic supporting cast for Tmac and Yao. They just couldn't stay healthy.

Lowry, Brooks, Artest, Battier, Scola, Hayes and Mutombo plus Tmac and Yao is a boss team. They just couldn't all get on the court together.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The reality is . .. THE ROCKETS HAVE THE TALENT TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP
    they do not have the direction

I have been on wait an see with McHale but I am now DONE!

Rocket River

11. malakas

malakas Member

When do contract extension talks start? That should be the number one focus this offseason- the hope to lock up Motie. If he and his agent are smart they won't accept but perhaps with the injury he gets scared and signs cheaply. If he tests RFA and he has a year like this one or better he will be expensive.
    Jones if he could also be locked up at around 10 per would be nice and would raise his trade value tremendously.

Also I may be in the minority here but I think that Prigs and Terry did fairly well for what the expectations were and given their age.