1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teachers shouldn't expense their out of pocket but private planes need tax deduction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Nov 18, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I like the fake outrage when we get screwed, cause if there's one group that both dems and reps don't give two ***** about it's us teachers, you should see some of the stuff the dems have tried to do to us here in Cali, really sucks.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

1) This country do not really care about education.

2) GOP is the party for the rich.

Nothing new here.

cheke64 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Obviously.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I see the strawman is running on all cylinders. Wonder what the occasion is.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The assault on teachers really happens at the state level but yes this deduction sucks. It’s about 200 bucks a year we get and most of the time is the difference in our family writing a check or getting a small one back. (My wife a teacher FYI)

What I’d ask for you folks that care would be to really help teachers at the state level. Gregg Abbott and Ted Cruz worked together about a year ago to completely gut TRA, the Texas teacher benefit and retirement program.

7. Buck Turgidson

What is the strawman argument here?

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There is no amount of money you could pay me to teach these dumb ass kids nowadays

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You do know he kind of arranges words at random to simulate an actual post, right?

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

it will be a good idea to follow the steps of Ontario Teachers pension (hedge) funds

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The deduction at $250 was already criminally low. It's just an insult to remove it while adding deductions for crap like private planes.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The insult is that teachers are expected to/do spend their own money for their job. That's idiotic (more of an issue in elementary schools). Most of my coworkers never spend a cent and in my 4.5 years i've spent $2, outside of a few times Halloween candy or something like that. I spent the $2 last week on spaghetti to do spaghetti sin and cos graphs haha

13. prohibido

prohibido Member

It's highly unusual that I don't have the Show Ignored Content bit at the bottom of a D&D thread, but here we are. The silence of the usual members of the amen corner is, well, I won't say deafening because they never pile on unless it's something easy for them, you know, some black man is protesting senseless state murder, or someone they like (but didn't vote for, NO, NO!) needs his sexual assaults assiduously defended.

And sometimes the power goes out at the trailer park.

Deckard, leroy and CometsWin like this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Was it? There are a lot of teachers that don't actually spend that (there are plenty that spend more as well), but they basically all take it. Many other jobs also ask their employees to come out of pocket for expenses, but they don't get an above the line deduction. The big problem is no job should make you feel obligated to spend your own money to perform your job.

Nook and Rocket River like this.
  15. dobro1229

Teachers spend at least that amount even if they don’t realize it. I’m married to a family of teachers and best friends are coaches. Taking any type of pay, benefit, or deduction from them is criminal. They all put their own money and a lot of their extra time (sometimes more valuable than money) back into the job and to get under attack by the Right constantly over the past 4 or 5 years is something that should be a major issue right now for Americans right now but it gets buried and forgotten.

Point being it’s less about the deduction and the money and more about the continued assault on privitizing education to promote Christian and prep schools (only somewhat affordable option is Christian schools here in TX) while yet another hurdle is being put in place to force a bigger gap in education, and wealth inequality in our class system. The way our education is funded dictates a lot in this country. The pay and benefits of teachers dictates a lot about education quality as well. Just look at where Texas now ranks as evidence to that thanks to the fine work or Rick Perry and Greg Abbott.

Should a state as wealthy as Texas have education that ranks in the bottom ten every year along with likes of WV, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana? People in Texas should be outraged about education in our state but no... if it’s not about oil and gas, bar b que, or football nobody seems to care.

#15 dobro1229, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Deckard, da_juice, Nook and 2 others like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm glad I moved to Massachusetts. If I ever have kids, they will appreciate the move from Texas to Massachusetts due to the vast gulf in difference between public grade school education between the two states.

17. dobro1229

Its all politics too. That's the only difference in low performing states and high performing states. People like to use geography (to try to make some sort of case about the border and race) but we know that geography and politics go hand in hand, and you have outliers like WV, and NV. We also know that all people like Ted Cruz, Perry, Abbott, and Cornyn think about is privatizing anything they can get their hands on. Its a shock that we don't have to hire private firefighters & Police officers in this state.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup. And you'll still have idiots who hate states like Massachusetts. I hear 'taxachusetts' all the time.

They just don't see the tangible benfits of having a relativly high amount of tax revenue and using that tax revenue for useful purposes such as educating children.

We get taxed a lot but at least our kids aren't dumb. I think that compromise is well worth it as an investment to maintaining the status quo of US hegemony. If we keep on churning out dumb kids like states such as Alabama and Mississippi do at abnormally high rates, that status quo in the future will be challenged.

da_juice likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe so. My wife works in a rural school in eastern Montgomery County. It's 95% Title 1. It's not uncommon for kids to show up with no supplies. $250 is before the school year even starts. We spend closer to $1000/yr on supplies and materials for her classroom. As much as she enjoys helping these kids, we can't keep shelling out this cash every year, especially if we aren't going to get a deduction back. She's looking to move to a school with less financial issues and an actual functioning PTA. The school my youngest goes to has a fundraiser every year that raises nearly $100K. Her school has no fundraisers and there is no PTA. The fact that we have to go out of pocket with a deduction that only covers 1/4 of it is a joke...one that these GOP s***heads are trying to make worse.

FranchiseBlade and rockbox like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thanks for the chuckle