1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tax Obligations and rockets 19 pick from forbes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Feb 15, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

we where talking about being able to spend the under the tax MLE and not getting to the apron.

Since when is there an issue of getting under the tax?

it's the repeated tax that is the issue.

So now we are complaining about stuff that does not matter.

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Did you not read @Corrosion 's post up thread? Absent some more salary dumping acrobatics, if the Rockets want to add anyone next season that would require as much salary as the non-taxpaying MLE, they'd exceed at least the apron, and probably the tax.

It's not a done deal that they'll be below the tax next year (and if Capela rocks out, and the Rockets go past the WCFs, they're paying it this year). At least, if the Rockets feel like improving the team beyond vet min castoffs.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When you let Nene , Clark and Hartenstein go you instantly have 3 new cap holds for open roster spots below the minimum of 12 … each costing you more than the salaries of Clark or Hartenstein.

snowconeman22 and D-rock like this.
  4. biff17

biff17 Member

yes I did read his post and it's why I questioned his numbers when he was factoring in 2 players who have non guaranteed contracts and a guy we can buy out pretty easily.

it does not matter if we are below the tax next year because we are below it this year, we are trying to stay out of the repeated tax which you don't seem to understand.A

If they rock and get past the ACT would that not be what we want and make all of this moot?

i guess you want argue that we don't want to pay tax ever, which make no sense whatsoever.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

Actually the cap hold is 500k so no it's not costing you more money.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=872459

D-rock likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The cap hold is equal to the veterans minimum (2nd year).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

You might want to bookmark that CBA FAQ.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

LOL.

But seriously, thanks for the link.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand how boned the Rox are next year, if they don't extend Shumpert with an eye towards trading him. What kills me about this season is just how many teams were up against (EDIT it) with the luxury tax, like Washington and Cleveland, that had players the Rockets could use: If They Were Willing To Take On Salary! (Yes, I was an acolyte of the OPM, why do you ask? Or Satoransky or Morris.)

But nope, Tillman had to reassure his backers.

snowconeman22 and Kim like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Aren't MLEs given at the start of the season ie during the offseason? Even if the Rox are guaranteed to pay the tax next year they are gonna be tax payers at the end of next season and not at the start which when all the exceptions are given out. Since they aren't paying the tax this year this means they will be eligible for the non tax paying MLE next year.

Saying they can't use it is a bit of a misnomer considering they can trade other players to get under the Apron. There's a bug difference between 5M to 9M just because they can't use the full 9M doesnt mean they cant use more than 5M, they can get a 7M-8.9M player.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not about assuring his backers its about not paying the repeater tax which is like double the lux tax penalties.

Tillman is all but guaranteed to pay the lux tax next year if he was as much if a cheapskate as everyine is crying about then he wouldnt pay the tax next year. Ever hear of a cheap owner paying the lux tax? I certainly havent thats like the opposite of being cheap.

Posters here are saying Morey is dumb for paying the max to Cp3 but are also calling Tillman cheap how does that even make any sense?

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm just gonna direct you to the Larry Coon CBA FAQ … Here's the sections dealing with Free agent exceptions , I hope this helps you understand …. Its really worth the read if you want to understand the mechanisms of the salary cap and its limitations. Hell , I'd consider it required reading ….

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thanks. I guess the Rox really got screwed by the salary cap increase huh? They were expecting the salary cap to keep going up instead it stopped.

Regardless I'm sure Morey will do something. If we get biunced early I expect EG to be gone.

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

sad giving away draft picks like they dont mean anything. this front office has straight up FAILED. we have an all time great and cant build around him.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I expect EG to be gone already …. he's their only trade chip since they cant trade next years #1 pick - they must make the selection (even if they later trade the player).

Hell the entire league got screwed by the cap increase , that's what allowed Durant to join GSW.

The real issue here is that they traded away all their "assets" in an effort to avoid the tax -
    Worse yet is that two of their key rotation pieces are on Vet Minimums in Rivers and Faried - I don't think either of them returns for that so you are likely to lose at least one and probably both - I think there is a small chance Faried sticks around , dude is having fun again. Worst case we get two James Ennis types to replace them and hope like hell we can fix it with buyouts again next year which really isn't likely.

Now how do they add to it ? without subtracting ?!

snowconeman22 and Kim like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well they had to do it paying the repeater tax isnt an option for any team really.

Its definitely gonna be hard I'm just not sire how can teams like OKC and GsW have several max contracts but the Rockets have just 2 qnd they are stuck with scrubs lol IIRC Westbrick is even eligible for the Super max but OKC doesnt seem to have any problem signing help.

15. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Without Cp3 and Gordon we would have over $50mill in cap space

Cp3 will retire after his contract, he made it out perfectly.

Rockets got Cp3 also for a STAR to help ticket sales but didn’t really help

Wade is already on his last year

Cp3 balled in playoffs & last year in his contract year put morey and rockets in a position to have to give him the max.
    CP3 IS SMART

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

From what I'm seeing , most teams go about this in the opposite manner - Pay the tax in the early years and dump salary later to avoid the tax. Just look at GSW & OKC for a prime example.

That makes the most sense if the ultimate goal is winning. They use assets to accumulate the best talent possible which is counter to what the Rockets did.

Tilman and Morey spent all their (Current) assets to avoid the tax , when next offseason rolls around they are going to have a very difficult time in making what they have better.

To avoid the tax in the repeater year - You can always give away good players & dump salary …. but its really damn hard to get someone to give them to you for nothing.

Tilman and Morey went about this like a monkey playing with a football …. they fumbled , Often.

snowconeman22 and Little Bit like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Can't lump Morey in there with Tillman.

He has enough of a history of being aggressive that you gotta assume that if he was left to his own devices he would have don't things differently this season .

Corrosion and amaru like this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

You just highlighted that it's the rookie minimum not the veteran minimum which is about 600k not higher than the players current salary which you said.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-minimum-salary/

You might want to stop saying things that are patently false.

#58 biff17, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  19. amaru

amaru Member

FIFY

Corrosion likes this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Careful....you are going against the CF narrative there.