1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tax Free Weekend Sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Aug 6, 2005.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i believe he is the young Harlem n**** with the Goldie sound.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I thought he was from Atlanta... :confused:

3. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

I'm never having kids...

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Why sucks? Good time to spend money on big-ticket items you have long contemplated. I wish I had one last year when I bought my car.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

uhhh...cars aren't tax free during tax free weekend...either is a $101 pair of shoes...

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He is originally from Jacksonville, FL if I am not mistaken. Harlem is sort of his adopted home.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I tried to go to Meyerland Plaza on Saturday afternoon, and turned tail after 10 minutes of trying to find a place to park. You would have thought they were handing out Beatles reunion tickets. Tax free weekend is a good thing for families who have to stock their kids up on clothes and school uniforms for the school year, but for a single guy like me it makes more sense to shop the big sales.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

The thing that is stupid is school supplies such as pens, pencils, paper are taxed.

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I was wondering why Academy was more packed than a Wal-Mart around 6:00 this weekend, it all makes scene now..

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've been there bud, I worked retail for 3 or 4 years and it sucks! At least it's over for this year.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

A-Freaking-Men!

:)

12. Toast

Toast Member

Hey, I had a 30% off coupon PLUS tax free. Woo hoo! I don't go out shopping much, but this was an occasion I couldn't miss. Not to mention it gave me a good excuse to get my neice's birthday present a month early.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

It probably followed the 25-50% off week (Except on Polo, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hill clothes which are not subject to sale prices)

14. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

We went on Thursday and put things on hold and my sister purchased them on Friday. That way we didn't have to fight with the crowd that much. I like it...definitely worth it if you have kids.

I do think that school supplies, esp backpacks, should be included though. I remember back in the day Jansports could be $30-70. Who knows what it is now.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If so, then it really sucks.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

We bought my son's school shoes for the year at Academy. Two pairs that were marked 50% off as well as no tax... A pair of shoes for the court, and some skechers for the classroom... both for $31.00.

Not too shabby.

We also hit the "small" Wal-Mart (we call it that because it's very far away from the freeway and a bit smaller than the usual supercenter). Got his jeans, reg. price, but 6 jersey style shirts and t-shirts for $2.00 apiece on clearance items that hadn't been scavenged by the crowds yet. So, like $25.00 on all of his warm school day clothes.

Total: $56.00 and no tax baby!

Now if they'd just do another one once it gets cold. :)

also, if you get the school supplies through your PTA - it helps the school out (kids' events/field trips, etc.) and you do it all in one lump moment, with no sales tax. - Just a tip. May seem higher, but we priced it out and the time/gas/tax you saved made it worth it.