1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tax Credit for 1st Time Home Buyers...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

First, let me tell you my situation. My lease is up at the end of Feb, so by Feb I'm going to need a new house. This time, I'm looking to buy, rather than rent.

I would like to get a home by 12/1 to get the $8,000 tax credit, but that would mean I'm paying double rent for 3 months.

I know there is a new bill in congress to extend this program, but nothing has happened to it for a couple months, from what I hear.

Anyone know more about the tax credit getting extended? I personally don't see it passing, since the economy is 'recovering' and the stock market is up significantly since March. But that's just my thought, anyone know anything more?

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

is $8K > double rent?

how much is breaking the lease? 1 month's rent?

3. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I think you should wait and bet on another tax credit down the pipeline.. our economy is still in shlt shape, and they will not extend that bill until near the deadline.. count on that.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Just as a heads up: 10% of the house price, 5% if you're single. (Up to 4k/8k)

And be careful with the deadline. You have to close by then... which can be tricky sometimes.

No idea about it being pushed back///new one.

5. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

take a month or two to fix up whatever house you are going to buy. i think by the time you are done setting up, your apartment lease will expire just in time. :)

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This is wrong. It is 10% up to an $8,000 credit if you are single. You only get $4,000 if you are Married Filing Separate. Don't respond like that if you don't know the facts.

1 person likes this.
  7. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

If there is a cancellation fee to end your lease early it may be better to pay it to take advantage of the tax credit.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I have a roommate right now, so Im only paying 650/mo. So, for 3 months, that's about $2k. So ill still net $6k.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I hope that they get rid of the income requirements if they renew it.

I make too much too qualify, yet I still can't afford to buy a house in the area where I live, and am not old enough to have acquired a good amount of savings for a down payment. Go figure.

10. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

are you likely to move within 3 years? i think you have to live there for 3 years as the main resident to keep the $8k. if you move out, then you have to pay it back.

11. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Do some research on the 1040x Amendment form and see if you can file the 2010 purchase against your 2009 taxes.

12. no_answer

no_answer Member

You really have to close by the last day of November, not ON 12/1.
    You should buy a house now, we bought ours for 40,000 less than it was appraised at. $$$

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This is correct.

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

according to one article i read, there was a proposal to not only extend the credit, but increase it to $15,000. that was a few months ago, and i haven't heard anything one way or the other.

i am going to take the sure thing 8,000 this year rather than risk getting nothing... at least you didn't buy one last year. $7,500 but you have to pay it back :eek:

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

More than likely it will be extended but I doubt they will announce it to far before the deadline..

There is also talk that it will be extended to all buyers not just first time and it will go up to 15K back...

As somebody in real esate i defintely have my fingers crossed..

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Republicans tried to get this credit to be $15,000, but it ended up being $8,000.

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

promising news... though it's not the $15,000

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...EDIT?SITE=TXDAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

18. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

It kills me that we didn't get this because we bought our first house in 2006. I always just seem to miss out on stimulus packages. We have gone with the Cash for Clunkers, but my wife's old car gets too many miles per gallon. C'est la vie.

I do seriously hope that this credit gets extended. I think it is necessary to keep the housing market from cratering, but it will also benefit us personally. With 2 kids now, we have outgrown our townhouse. We're hoping to sell it next summer, and it would be awesome if a first time buyer had extra incentive.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If its a Tax Credit...does that mean you don't pay taxes on $8,000? That means you actually only save your tax bracket...or about $2640 if your in a 33% bracket. So you'd compare the rent you pay against the $2640, not the whole $8,000. right?

20. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

It's below the line, not above. You don't subtract $8,000 from your adjust gross income. You calculate your taxes and then subtract $8,000. So if you were owed $500 in taxes originally, you'd get a refund of $8,500 after utilizing this credit.

It works similar to the child tax credit. It's just worth a lot more.