1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I didn't even notice him when the Rockets played the Bucks. I know he seemed to play a lot of minutes, but he didn't seem to be much of a presence. Just one game I know.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Fair point. But its useful for me to see how the more available players compare to the less available players, as a frame of reference.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he would be someone you'd be able to get too, it's not like i see him replacing bogut in their starting lineup, although right now, the 15mpg was andrew's backup is probably perfect for him.

That being said, if they could upgrade another spot (sf, pf), they'd probably look at it.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

as I mentioned in the Yao thread

I would go for Hibbert, Brook or Robin Lopez, Noah, Marc Gasol

these are quality guys who can integrate easily into our system

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Where was Hayes in those numbers?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4 out of 5 of those guys aren't available.

ROBIN LOPEZ! HERE WE COME! ;)

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

i'd drop the age criteria for the season and go for camby.

if you want a young center to develop, draft him.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thabeet, Sanders...I don't see how these types of guys help?? Your betting on upside and even then its still a big bet. Yes, Sanders has been somewhat a positive surprise, but he's not blowing anyone away. I'd rather just play Hill at center minutes.

Which is why I still think someone like Okafor is a better fit. He's basically a much better and taller version of Chuck Hayes. Vareajo is similar. These guys would be able to fit in immediately getting a ton of playing time and be immediately conducive to winning. Frankly, I think Okafor is they type of add that, if you don't have to give up too much to get him, allows you to not just make the playoffs but make some real noise. He's NOT the superstar DM is looking for, but you're not getting that anyway with any available center. He is as solid and consistent as they come, and would be a difference maker in the playoffs, for sure.

No rumblings yet, but there's a reason the Hornets had to be sold to the league - there were no buyers, because of all that salary. Okafor IS overpaid, but he DOES give you solid production, so its overpaying without feeling super bad about it, and he's a piece that fits. He should ultimately be available for salary relief plus filler (draft pick, young asset or two, etc.)

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't even recall that game. I don't ever watch him or the Bucks.. just noticed his 1.4 BPG in 14 minutes as standing out.

10. hodgo

hodgo Contributing Member

Whatever it takes to get bogut make it happen

11. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Yao + Brooks + Jordan Hill + 2011 2nd round pick + NY's 2012 1st round pick

for

CP3 + Okafor

Hornets do this because they will save a lot of money with 8 million of Yaos contract being paid by insurance. they get a young PG who is also an expiring contract. They get Jordan Hill who is a young prospect.

JJ + Battier + PP + 2011 1st round pick + our 2012 1st round pick.

for

Carmelo Anthony

Nuggets do it cause JJ and Battier are expiring contracts PP is a young talent and 2 1sts are ok

Because of CP3 Carmelo signs an extension

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Wow, talk about a project. This guy can barely get in any games in the D-League. When he does play, he has a good chance of fouling out within 15 minutes. He can block shots, he has that going for him, but this guy must be super raw. I am aware we are in dire need of a shot blocking big man, but I can't see where Whiteside is anywhere close to being able to help an NBA team at this point. I'd like to see him play in some of these D-league games to see what he looks like. But if he is having a hard time getting minutes at the D-league level, he can't really be viewed as anything other than a very long range project. If we could get him for a second round pick, I guess it would be worth a shot.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

AREN'T WE DREAMING BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOW!!!
    MOREY IS GOD IF HE CAN PULL THIS ONE OFF!!!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am NOT looking at helping this year, I am looking at helping in the next 3 years when all of our guys are in their primes.

DD

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Back to the thread....So you are saying we should get Okafor.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great thread. More I think about it, more I think Varejo might be the answer. Decent contract for a big and versitle defensively. Is available and would fit in with this team.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why not try to see how available Aldrich is in OKC? 7'5" wingspan and he looks like he might actually be able to play basketball unlike Whiteside.

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I have always been a fan of Sean Williams. He is playing right now in the NBDL. He is a great shot blocker and a solid rebounder. Still young at 24 years old.

19. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

:grin: ahahahaha. tremendous.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

great thread... we need to land a center asap!

i'm so sick and tired of watching other teams performing layup drills against our bigs.

(i'm talkin to you brad miller!)