1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tanking . . .. . What is that all about?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Dec 17, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

To lose on Purpose . . . it's wrong to me.

What next . .. will we let Robinson Score 71 pts to win the Scoring crown?

To not compete in a match is crap. It's sh*tty. To lose on purpose is the lowest form of giving up to me.

It's against the sense of Fair Play IMO.
    It's like Cheating. Spurs may do it. . but d*mmit I AIN'T A SPURS FAN . . . I'm A ROCKET'S FAN . . and I hold us to a higher Standard.

If the rockets loose out. . . without competing . .. I'll lose so much respect for the org. It maybe what is best for the team . . . but it's No the RIGHT thing to Do.

Rocket River
    Fight to the End . .. or stay home.

'Do what's right. . . not what's easy' - Deathlok

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The Rockets have tanked before; although, not this owner or coaching staff.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

check out the movie "Altered States"

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

RR,

Losing breeds losing. SA was incredibly lucky to end up witha winner like Duncan to offset the vets. The Spurs weren't looking too pretty last year till Duncan took complete control over the team.

I still say a team needs to always try for the playoffs. I wouldn't trade the future for aging vets, either. Make the young players win their pt. Earned PT is worth more than "oh , the team needs to develop you" pt.

5. popeye

popeye Member

I got your back on this one too, RR!

6. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Would it be considered tanking if the coach put their backups on the floor and the game was very competitive till the end and then they lose? That's what I think Rudy is doing.

7. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Rudy isn't the one tanking the season. These players are the ones tanking it. With the exception of 2 or 3 players on this team, the others don't care and just want to get paid! The players are the ones tanking it and not Rudy! Rudy is just trying to find which players actually want to play. Too many broken plays, hotdogging, and no defense and intensity is the problem due to the fact that these players just don't care. A loss to them doesn't matter, they walk around like they are champions just because they are on the Rockets and played with Charles and Dream. Until, Dream and Charles are completely gone, will you see these players decide to get there act together. For now, they can hide behind many excuses like, we had 9 new players this year, Francis is a rookie, Stadium referendum was a distraction, Charles got hurt, and on and on. All they care about is themselves. They don't care about winning.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Rocket Rich NYC:

I don't know what team you are watching, but all I see is a young team of guys playing their hearts out, trying to win, but just coming up short. Every man on this team, 1-11 [Walt is 12th] has shown heart and desire. I haven't heard any excuses from the team, and I haven't seen them walk around like champions, like you say they do. If it were not for there heart, how the hell would they even be in these games?

9. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Its not what I saw on TV but what I saw back stage in the locker room after the game(12-11 vs. Nets) and in talking to people who work for the team. I saw players hanging out with rappers(Jay Z & Fat Joe), players talking to NBA groupies(women), and from what I hear about what happens on the team bus after the games. What you see on TV is sometimes a facade. I don't believe everything I see on TV. Sorry for being a pessimist because I was a long time Optimist on this board. That all changed after what I saw in NJ and what I was told. Sorry! People do change and I sure hope that these group of players CAN change. You should have heard what they were saying back stage after the game.

10. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

I think we have to recognize that there is a huge difference between tanking and rebuilding. Tanking is wrong. Rebuilding is something we have to do. I guess my argument is that some people keep saying, "why can't you learn and win at the same time?" Well, my answer is that they are not mutually exclusive. However, I think most of us can agree that there are three players who should be starting and one or two more who should get significant minutes.

Shandon Anderson
    Steve Francis
    Kelvin Cato

These players should start every game if they are healthy, no matter what.

Cattino Mobley
    Carlos Rogers
    Thomas Hamilton
    Kenny Thomas
    Bryce Drew

These players should get consistent minutes. Cattino is the only one I would say has to be on the bench. He has proven that he is more effective there and that is where he will be in this team's longterm plan. Any of the others can start or come off the bench as long as the first three are starting. Then, you have the rest. I don't mind them playing as long as it doesn't get in the way of the players who need to play.

Now, the rebuilding comes from the fact that you play the players who are a part of your future (previously mentioned) no matter how they are performing. Therefore, their development becomes more important than wins and losses. Tanking is losing on purpose. Rebuilding isn't really concerned with winning and losing. Obviously, winning is better, but only as long as the players who will be a part of the future are playing in the roles they will see later on.

------------------
    Rockets When? Rockets When?