1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tampa Bay area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, May 24, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Any of you guys live in the Tampa Bay Area? Seriously considering getting a home out here and establishing our residency outside the tax hell of Minnesota.

Any thoughts about the area?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have literally been to Tampa Bay zero times, so can't really help.

But for some odd reason it seems like the type of city I'd like. Miami is way too flashy and expensive. I like cities that have geographically interesting "bays". The beach.

Just seems like easy care free beach living.

But I don't do alligators. Are there alligators there?

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To paraphrase PFT Commenter, it's a city whose entire population is made up of retired professional wrestlers.

gatsby, Killatron 2000, Kam and 2 others like this.
  4. bobrek

Apparently there are. We are actually considering making an offer on a house Mike Alstott once owned

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was there for about four days, years ago. Couldn't help but like it: near to beaches, not far from other Florida destinations.

Of course visiting isn't living. You might have to dodge the occasional hurricane. On the other hand, you won't be cooped up inside for half the year (I've also been to Minnesota, and in the winter yet; FTS.)

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im in Orlando. Tampa would be my second choice. I dont think i'd consider any other parts of Florida.

What I like about Orlando is its central. 45 mins to the beach, plenty of 'touristy' things going on all the time that even locals can enjoy thanks to Disney and Universal. I have very little concern about hurricanes where as the very southern and western part of the state experience the worst. Summers are a beast thanks to the near daily thundershowers bringing the miserable humidity each day, but fall, winter and spring are great.

plutoblue11 and B-Bob like this.
  7. JayZ750

Well, to be fair... I generally am fine with alligators.

It's my kids that I'd worry about... what with youtube videos of Floridians just randomly having alligators hanging out in their pools. My kids would be in the pool before anyone noticed, lol

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. bobrek

We are at LegoLand this week. They have plenty of fencing and warning signs around. Kids would have to work really hard to get attacked. That being said, kids can always find a way.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. JayZ750

I suspect everyone is on high alert still given the thing that happened at Disney a year+ back.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

From what I heard/read. It’s a strip club city.

plutoblue11 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

mother in law retired and moved there to be with my sister in law’s family who had twins. I didn’t see a bay or a beach, but the zoo and aquarium were nice so I assume it’s a good place for families.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

visited there as a padawan and went to universal. overall it seems like a vacation city. had a blast. would love to live there one day, but i imagine it's quite pricey? not new york or san francisco expensive, but more than htown.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hold it dine.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Orlando itself is expensive just like Houston is, however the suburbs are more reasonable. I live at the very north side of the greater Orlando area which puts me about 30 minutes to the Amway Center and 40 minutes to Disney/Universal tourist area. Im 45 mins from Daytona and about 45 minutes to Cape Canaveral and 2 hours from Tampa. Light rail station is about 2 miles from my house which will take me all the way to the south side of Orlando. Up where I am, decent housing can run you 250k-300k with some of the bigger houses and nicer neighborhoods running 300k-400k. Sub 250k can be had for smaller homes, older homes or in unincorporated areas.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Siesta Key (short drive from Tampa) consistently marks high as one of (if not the) best beaches in America. Great fishing all around. Lots of strip malls, but no more than Orlando, and if you are coming from the North, Orlando is HOT in the summer. So is Tampa, but at least you get some sea breezes. If I were moving to Florida, I'd probably pick Marco Island, but I like to fish. I'd probably drive that whole stretch from Tampa to Marco Island looking for the best spot, but YMMV.

bobrek likes this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

My sister moved to Tampa about a year ago, I've visited 3 times since. Just as a visitor, I like it. Great beaches nearby at Clearwater, easy and convenient airport, the bay area is nice. Seems like simple living.

bobrek likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. bobrek

I figure as much of an old man as I have been told I am, I need to move to Florida and join the rest of the ancients.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Well who hasn’t done that?