1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tal's Hill gone in 2016, CF fences to be moved in

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Good to hear

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Let me post this so you can all enjoy what I just did... which is Milo making a call back in his (very long) prime. Man do I miss his calls (though not as much as Gene when I listened to the Rockets radio broadcast once this year..)

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=25629459&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Gotta spend money to make money. I'm sure it will make money in the long run, or they wouldn't be making the changes.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The hill was stupid and gimmicky, won't miss it at all.

I do wish they changed the HR line in left center to offset some of the offensive gains. The park has played extremely neutral and this is probably gonna slide us back to being a hitters park.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Change it to what? They did raise it after the disastrous 2000, and it made a huge difference (that and calling up oswalt, the first to master pitching there).

The main problem is the dimensions are restricted by the plot of land, the roof supporting walls, and union station. They could make more room in right field, but they would lose seats.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would prefer they move the HR line up to the Conoco pump level. It wouldn't be a huge change, but I think it would be enough to offset the HR's they are gonna give up by moving the fences in.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's one look at proposed MMP centerfield renovations from a preliminary <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> model. <a href="http://t.co/lC1T64KBWD">pic.twitter.com/lC1T64KBWD</a></p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/606627253250723840">June 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yuck! I don't care as much about Tal's Hill, but I guess I do a little bit. But I don't like the trend of pulling fences in, that's really been happening for some time.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

The news that Tal's Hill will be removed from Minute Maid Park following the 2015 season elicited diverse reactions from Astros outfielders after their 3-2 loss to the O's on Thursday.

"I guess for this park, it's going to change it up a little bit," outfielder Colby Rasmus said. "It's been kind of a quirky thing coming here and seeing. When I came here at first and saw the hill, [I was] thinking, 'That's kind of strange.'"

"Guys will probably try to use the middle of the field a little bit more," Preston Tucker said. "I think it's definitely to the hitter's advantage. We're going to see a lot more balls go out to center field next year, so a lot of guys are probably excited for it."

"It was definitely unique and fun to run around on it," Jake Marisnick added. "But as a hitter, moving the fences in is always a good thing."

Marisnick, tasked with navigating the hill alongside Rasmus for most of this season, said he was indifferent on the club's decision, but brought up safety concerns. He added, though, that playing at Minute Maid Park every day and getting acclimated to the hill was a luxury.

"I mean, it's kind of unique to the field and it's kind of something that's been out there," Marisnick said. "Safety is definitely an issue going up on the hill. There's nowhere else you can do that -- and with that pole out -- but we haven't seen too many balls up there. I don't think it's too much of an issue, but it will be good."

Rasmus said he won't worry about the hill's departure until it actually happens.

When it does go, though, the approach won't change.

"I don't think about the wall or anything really," Rasmus said. "I try to play the game as it comes to me and catch the ball, kind of like a lab at the beach. Just get out there and run the ball down the best I can and not let the surroundings affect me."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/128634684/removal-of-unique-tals-hill-excites-hitters

Astros centerfielder Jake Marisnick:

“There’s positives and minuses to it. I mean it’s kind of unique to the field and it’s kind of something that’s been out there. Safety’s definitely an issue with it I mean going up on that hill, there’s nowhere else to do that and with that pole out there. You haven’t seen too many balls up there. I don’t think it’s too much of an issue but it’d be good if the fence’s moved up.

“I like kind of unique outfields and with that hill it was definitely unique and it’s fun to run around on it. I mean, as a hitter, moving the fences in is always a good thing.”

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve:

“I don’t hit any balls out there so it’s going to be the same for me.”

Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel:

“I think there’s been plenty of balls where hitters are appreciative of that hill just because it kind of rolls around but there’s been plenty of balls where they’ve been caught and it should be a home run.”

Astros pitcher Chad Qualls:

“I mean obviously pitchers love seeing 436 out there in center field, but it’ll be good. You’re going to add a new feature to the ball park, with the batter’s eye up there and the restaurant and just a new aspect of the park and safety for some of the center fielders, I mean I think every guy that hits the hill, it kind of crushes their knees, they take a tumble. I’d hate to say it but obviously it’ll help some hitters to that hit a deep fly ball. If I give a ball that goes 420 I mean it probably should be a homer. I think it’ll be good for the stadium. I think it’s, what’d we open, in 2000? Good old Enron? Yeah I think it’ll be pretty cool.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastro...h-and-astros-players-on-the-end-of-tals-hill/

Dexter Fowler won’t miss the removal of Tal’s Hill at Minute Maid Park after the 2015 season.

“They didn’t need it there, anyway,” Fowler said of the 30-degree, 27-foot-long center field incline at the Houston Astros’ park that he played in front of last season.

“No one ever hit it out there,” Fowler said. “That’s why I said it’s pointless.”

Fowler predicted that the shortening of the fences would result in more home runs.

“The park will play more true, but now they will have small gaps,” Fowler said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ter-fowler-wont-miss-hill-20150604-story.html

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

A little mixed about this. I like what they plan to do with the space as that area was pretty bare. But why did they have to remove one of the things that made the park unique to do it.

For the most part I think the team has done a good job of updating a park that's reaching middle age of its life. But.... I absolutely hate the way they changed the concession lines. I know it was done to make things more efficient, but, imo, it only made getting food even slower.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No more Ausmus NLDS HR!

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Biggio will be happy. You guys remeber that Biggio knees coming up to his face fail lol?!?!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not a fan of losing the hill, but like the renderings. Ads are old school, I like 'em.

15. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

In a way I'm gonna miss it, it is a unique feature that no other park has. When people talk baseball parks, and the Astros, its the first thing that comes up. Now that they are redesigning it, it may not have that unique feature, I don't want it to be just like every other ballpark. People are always complaining about "cookie cutter" stadiums, and ballparks, Tal's Hill is what made MMP stand out.

I really don't have a problem with them moving CF in, because there have been many a time that an Astros player will BLAST the the ball, you know the kind that makes you stand up, and say "HELL YEAH!", only for it to fall short on the warning track. On the other hand it works both ways for when you think the opponent has hit the game winning HR, and it falls short.

I dont know, I have mixed feelings on the subject. I just hope whatever they do, it does have a unique feel or look to it to distinguish it from other parks.

16. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Astros dont need the hill. First nobody is coming to Houston to see the hill. Sure it is there and it may strike up a conversation. But I doubt any fans will quit on the Astros when the hill goes down. Seems like Astro fans are slowly coming back after the hated league switch to the AL. And being switch in leagues was huge!!!

I just wonder how Tal Smith is dealing with the news. Because after all those years of being involved with the Astros, his legacy is being removed from the field.

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Probably just name something in the new area after him.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tal's Toilets

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hill is stupid, just like the rest of the weird MMP outfield dimensions. Glad it's gone and it looks like a much better use of CF space than the current fake ivy abyss they have now.

I'm wondering what that tower is though. I think it would be cool to have a scale replica of a Saturn V Rocket if they want to put a tower out there. It could "light up" and "smoke" for exciting plays and stuff!!! That would be MLB unique and part of our history.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm mad too, Tal

props to anyone who gets this reference