1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taliban Bans Polio Vaccination Program over Drone Strikes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 18, 2012.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can already guess how this is going to be spinned by certain posters.
    To respond to them ahead of time I will say yes, that this is a terrible unintended consequence of drone strikes which is at best a controversial policy. That said the blame on this should rest with the Taliban and while drone strikes do kill civilians stopping a program meant to eradicate a horrible disease is just punishing the civilians further. This just shows that they are willing to use their own people as pawns to further their aims.

Now I think most of us, including most Muslims, can agree that the Taliban are whacked out extremists the Taliban are not all Muslims and I highly doubt that Qu'ran would justify using people in this way. Although I get the feeling some poster will twist some Qu'ran quote to justify that it does.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_new...an-polio-vaccinations-over-drone-strikes?lite

Taliban bans Pakistan polio vaccinations over drone strikes

PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A Taliban commander in Pakistan’s tribal belt has banned a vaccination campaign against child polio in protest over frequent United States drone attacks there.

Hafiz Gul Bahadur said that the U.S.-funded vaccinations for tens of thousands of children would be outlawed until drone attacks stopped.

He also said the polio campaign could be a cover for CIA espionage – a reference to Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor reported to have helped American agencies identify Osama bin Laden.

A pamphlet issued in Miranshah, North Waziristan and seen by NBC News accused the U.S. of “spending billions of rupees” on anti-polio measures while causing psychological disorders “due to drone strikes and round the clock hovering of spy planes over homes and villages”.

“This situation created by US drone strikes is more dangerous than the polio virus,” the pamphlet said.

Pakistan is one of the three countries where polio remains endemic, according to UNICEF, accounting for about 30 per cent of the world’s the polio cases. During 2011, the total number of cases was 198, up from 144 cases in 2010. There have already been 15 cases since the start of 2012.

Out of the seven tribal regions, North Waziristan was perhaps one of the only places where local Ulema - or religious scholars - had issued a decree in favor of polio drops for children. The Taliban had also guaranteed the security of vaccination teams.

Afridi, a Pakistan government doctor working for the CIA, used a vaccination campaign as a cover to collect DNA samples from Osama bin Laden's family members in Abbottabad – a move that helped identify the al-Qaeda leader, paving the way for his killing in May 2011.

Afridi was given a 33-year prison term for treason following a trial last month.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe he's an admirer of Leading Scientist and Vaccine Foe Jenny McCarthy.

3. Apps

Apps Member

Sure, some posters are going to spin this into saying that it's America's fault, but it most certainly is not. Despite the drone strikes, America is actually providing the medicine. America is simply doing what it thinks is the right thing to do on all fronts. The Taliban, however, are purposefully withholding medicine at the detriment of children while at the same time attempting to extort American actions. I think we can get past that part of the issue, as it's obvious.

On the flip side of the coin however, are some posters going to say that the Taliban's actions here are a result and/or reflection of Islam?

"And thus spake Allah: disallow the transfer of polio vaccinations to your people, for Allah is great, merciful, and really, really hates America!"

Uh oh, I'm a radical Islamist now because I don't think everything that terrorist groups do is a result of their religion! It's... it's almost like they're political entities with agendas that supersede mere religious zeal!

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's just disgusting, and should forever cause Taliban support to = 0. I can't believe anyone would do this. Punishing innocents intentionally is a horrible solution to the problem of Drone strikes.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I really wish there was a way to simply whipe out the Taliban movement it is like people wanting to live in the stone age...simply ignorance begetting ignorance.

DD

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I thought we took care of the Taliban?

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

bro 1: "Hey bro I just screwed your'e mom!"
    bro 2: "screw you bro! Because you did that I'm going to screw my mom!"
    bro 1: "k?"

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

fail... I meant your.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How sad for the kids, and stupid for the Taliban.

I call BS on the rationale though. I think they are selling the vaccines for $$.

10. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

You and I both know it can be done.

You and I both know we can do it.

You and I both know all it takes is for us to take off our PC Gloves.

BAM. It's done.

You and I both know all this.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, but they have done enough before that that Taliban support should be = - infinity to begin with.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

perhaps unwittingly, but you've provided one example of why this is such a big deal.

13. DaDakota

Yes this is true, but the USA is not going to do this, now is it?

DD

14. da1

da1 Member

Taliban are totally backwards, can't even negotiate with these guys

1 person likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Got to keep the women in their place, and let the men continue to diddle their way through life.

So 15th century.

DD

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Politically correct, as usual rocketsjudoka.

Anyway, I don't feel sorry for Taliban, Al Qaeda, or any other groups like these. You say this is a terrible unintended consequence of drone strikes. I say this is an unintended consequence of 9-11 and other anti-American terrorists movement.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Hey, you are the one that asked for a simple way of getting rid of the Taliban. I just offered a version.

Ahhh, your query was a rhetorical way of expression....got it.

But yes, DD, USA is NOT going to do this...too bad though because NOBODY else will. The Taliban will be a fixture for the rest of our lives. We are left to blowing of their heads one at a time. So be it.

18. DaDakota

Yep.

The way to win a war is to whipe out the culture completely, and that is not going to happen.

DD

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

20. DaDakota

Or wipe....lol...my sperling is not grande.

DD