1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taco Cabana "Street tacos"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blurr#7, Oct 15, 2010.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ditto, just go to a taqueria. We tried the ones from Taco Hell and they were alway if I were wasted off my gourd and with a lack of actual taquerias in my general area. In Houston there are a hellva lot more taquerias than up here in Dallas, go to Rucci's they are great!

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be really cool if someone made a website like Zagats, for taco trucks. I drive past 10+ taco trucks a day, and it is difficult to determine which ones are better than others. Normally, I'd measure the size of the crowd, but this doesn't seem to be a valid measure. For instance, on the northern end of Wirt near a Fiesta, there are two trucks right accross the street from each other. At one time of day, one of the trucks is loaded with people. Six hours later, the other is busy has hell, and the first is empty.

That is what is historically considered the great advantage that the mega-chains like McDonalds had when they got started - it may not be great, but when you walk in the door, you know what you're getting.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

w/out cilanto and onion (and lime) they would not be authentic 'street tacos'.

if you want to the authentic 'street taco' experience its got to be maize - no harnia guey!

based on the pics from t.c. website i must question how authentic they really are - they dont look greasy enough!

ive done quite a bit of traveling in mexico and street tacos are a staple of my diet whilst there - the weirdest ive had is tripe (cow intestines) - even weirder b/c we had just gone to the friday night lucha libre frights in mexico city, which was one of the oddest experiences ive ever had down there - the tripe tacos just seemed so appropriate after that!

4. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I tried them for the hell of it, the Taco Bell ones too, they sucked. Mainly because both places didn't know how to properly heat up the tortillas. Tortillas need to be heated up on a flat griddle. Just go to a taqueria or a taco truck.

My favorite place as of late is Tacos La Bala. If you want some good tacos, try them. Get yourself a trompo/al pastor, a cochinita pibil, and a barbacoa. They also make great tortas.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I saw a Taco truck at home depot this morning. Tempted to get some food there, but I didn't feel like having them laugh at me.

I usually try out something two or three times for quality control unless it was really really bad. I went to a Taco Cabana in a hood. I don't think they fixed it right for some reason. They just put the three (six) tortillas laid out, and put meat on top, and closed the box. They hid the lime beneath the foil, so I forgot about it. The Tortilla broke easy. I didn't get to eat it immediately so that's why it may have broke.

I went to a Taco Cabana by a more hispanic area. This time, they put meat in individual tortillas, and even wrapped the foil around everything. They presented it better which made it feel better.

In my final analysis, it is what it is. If you're hungry, and there is one by, you could always pick some up, or keep driving.

Hit or miss.

7. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

If you're in Houston, there is a Taco Palenque off of 45 on S. Wayside.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I love them. Their tacos are a little overpriced for the amount of food, though.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the stands in mexico have griddles that look like an inverted wok - all the meat, onions and grease are stewing along the edges and they warm up the tortillas and prep your order in the raised middle part. there is something about the way they are cooked down there that no place in the states can replicate. maybe its the 'mystery meat' factor?

10. Buck Turgidson

If in Austin, go to Pollo Regio off 183 & Ohlen, you will thank me later. My bro lives down the street from there & I've stopped for tacos or chicken (it's crack-like) every time.

11. bmthint

bmthint Member

Theres this one place whose name i dont remember off of ben white and s congress that was the best i've ever had. There are numerous taquerias on that corner but its the one with a strobe light. Best tacos ever.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i didnt know there were so many taco addicts/experts up in here

13. VanityHalfBlack

Damn dem street tacos at Taco Cabana is small as ****... Barely fill me up at all...

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I tried them on Friday night and that was my first thought. What a ripoff. If I want "street" tacos, I will go to Taqueria Del Sol.

15. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

This thread makes me wonder, how do white people feel when they go to taco stands? Do you guys feel comfortable ordering and try new things, or do you stick to what you usually order?