1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T_Mac Walking the Walk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T_Man, Jan 23, 2006.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

A while back there was a thread called "Talk is Cheap" http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=106438&highlight=T_Mac&z=1

And I was one of the individuals that agreed with PGabriel about his thoughts. But now it seems as our Superstar child is maturing into a Superstar man.

Last night I saw a different T_Mac one that started to take leadership... By actually leading, teaching and trusting. Most superstars go thru a metamorphosis in their career. That change being going from a scorer and trying to do it all by yourself, to leading a team to teach others and have them fight with you. Now some superstars get this early (Magic, Bird), some get it late (MJ) and there are those rare one that don't get it at all (Dominique).

The main thing that stuck out to me last night was
    1) T_Mac passing the ball instead of forcing the shot at the end of the fourth. He showed a lot of trust and confidence in his teammates.

2) When Luther missed that shot T_Mac was the first one over to tell him know that everything was alright. He didn't do a Nowitzki and humiliate him.

We did lose the battle last night, but with the growth that T_Mac is showing we are well on our way of winning the war. T_Mac can get these guys to do more than JVG ever thought he could.

My father told me this a long time ago.....

"Sometimes God has to break you down in order for you too learn the lesson and to be the man he wants you to be."

Well it looks as if T_Mac has been broken down and with that he is learning how to be the Leader that we know he can be.

T_Man

2. Cesar^Geronimo

T-Mac should be the MVP.

Without him this team can't beat Atlanta --- with him they are one shot away from beating Detroit

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I feel you. That's the first thing my gf and I noticed after the Pistons game. We said, look at that...telling Head, "almost...next time. You'll have plenty of other changes."

Trusting in him...a rookie. I mean Head has hit numerous big shots already! T-Mac has already shown confidence in the team around him, since last season. He knows he's the guy to take the last shot, but if there is a better shot, he gives it up. He makes the play...sometimes it's taking the shot, sometimes it's not.

You know what was the most conforting to me? T-Mac is smiling. After a hard loss, he smiles. He knows...there is nothing to hold your head down about. He knows, with a depleted roster, we still almost took the Pistons out...arguably, the best team in the NBA.

4. EssTooKayTD

A-freakin-men.

There is not one guy that is more valueable to his team than this guy.

5. eugeneli

eugeneli Contributing Member

Am I missing something? Did they beat Detroit?
    NO! No such thing as moral victory.
    A win is a win. A loss is a loss.
    Never heard of a superstar that ALMOST brought us a victory.
    By the way, we almost beat Mavericks last year, didn't we?

#5 eugeneli, Jan 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  6. EssTooKayTD

Is it too hard to see that they really are a different team with T-Mac in the lineup? I mean the award is MVP - most valueable player. It's hard to argue that any one player makes more of a difference on a team. So many great players in the league, but I think you may have something here...it's almost an unsaid prerequisite that you have to win to be an MVP.

When it should simply be, who is worth the most to their team.

I will say this though...how many other players can say they single-handedly were able to compete with the Pistons this year...with a roster like what we have? I mean, weren't the Spurs man-handled by the Pistons a few games back?

7. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

You need to shut your piehole. Go Rockets!!!

8. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I understand you are deprived of the gift of perspective, but look at this stat: The Pistons had defeated their last six opponents by an average of 18.7 points. They've lost only 2 games at home this season. And we nearly upset them at home - Head had an open shot that just didn't go down. And for more perspective, the 2nd best team in the NBA, the Spurs got blown out by these guys twice. If you cannot fathom how far this team has come from that humiliating defeat at TC last Wednesday, then you must be missing a few nerve endings.

9. T_Man

Yeah you are missing something....

T_Mac was a leader in that game.. not just a scorer. In the past when T_Mac was in Orlando and last year with the rockets, T_Mac would take it on shoulders to take the last shot no matter what. Last night he put trust in his teammates, he gave them confidence.

Since everyone likes to go back to the championship days of Bulls and Rockets; Jordan would actually make hero's out of Paxson and Kerr, Hakeem would make hero's out of Cassell and Horry.

Now for your moral victory question..

There is a such thing as a moral victory. There is no greater victory than confidence. One of the biggest reason for the Rockets not being able to win without there superstars is the fact that they had no confidence. T_Mac was their crutch and they couldn't do anything without him. By him believing in them, they will soon learn how to believe in themselves.

There is a difference between being beat physically and being beat mentally. Most people can over come the phsyical beating... but it's hard as hell to get over the mental beating. Just take a look at Mr. Nick that played with Orlando. He was never the same after losing his confience in the NBA championship.

10. eugeneli

I wouldn't argue that T-mac is the most important player in this Rockets team. However, if pick a MVP by your standard, the MVP of NBA should be Kobe the ballog Bryant. He is the entire Lakers.

11. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Kobe takes all his team's shots and does not make his team better. T-Mac's effect on his team is extremely dramatic - he makes his team like 5x better by just being on the court. Even if he doesn't score 30 points. Just like Steve Nash, who is unquestionably the reigning MVP for a good reason. With T-Mac and an injury depleted roster we're capable of beating the Pistons. Without him we can't beat Atlanta. I don't know how you can argue with that.

12. eugeneli

Maybe we see things differently here. I personally don't believe in moral victory. The legacy of a player will ultimately be judged by wins and losses in professional sports. I think that T-mac is a gamer. So far, he is far from a winner. He may become a winner one day. But with his injury prone body, his chance are getting slimmer. As a rocket fan, I also hope that he turns the conner as early as possible.

13. Toast

Toast Member

More like 2 refs away from beating Detroit :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think you just said it all.

T-mac has really grown over the last year or so.

15. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Saying anything negative about T-Mac are fighiting words as far as i'm concerned. :mad:

I almost got into a fist fight in a bar because I overheard someone call Tmac selfish.

16. EssTooKayTD

Good point. I would think that if Tmac has Lamar Odom as his PF, i think we'd be a lot better off. T-mac would actually make Lamar better than Kobe does. Just my opinion though, all speculation since it's not reality. This would go with the idea of an MVP making people around him better as well...just not individual performances...but making your whole team better.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well since I started that other thread I have to say that since then he's been agressive when he's not hurt. Still takes too many jump shots but I don't know how his health is affecting that. but when he gets hot it doesn't matter anyway.

18. LFE171

LFE171 Member

yes I believe they were manhandled twice by 15 each time. :)

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Grass is always greener.

All the senseless Juwan bashing is tiresome. We CAN win with Juwan as our starting PF. The ONLY thing preventing us from being a championship caliber team is the health and maturity of TMac and the health and aggressiveness of Yao. Howard can be just fine as a role player if TMac and Yao reach their potential.

Most people agree that if we had Juwan on the squad playing well (as he was when injured), then we would have EASILY beat the Mavs. Lamar Odem has his own set of issues and he may or maynot be a better fit.

I beleive TMac has the maturity. It is his health, obviously, that is holding him back. Yao on the other hand, still has a little more growth before he can dominate but he's getting closer. Hopefully his injury hasn't set him back.

20. T_Man

Actually I would choose Steve Nash.

Even without his Big Gun in the middle and 2 or 3 new starters in the lineup he is fining a way to make the people around him better and win games.