1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Wolves get rid of Kahn, hire Flip Saunders

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mhch720, Apr 26, 2013.

1. mhch720

mhch720 Member

Source: http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/04/26/saunders-likely-back-to-timberwolves-replacing-kahn/

Lock if posted.

Does this change anything from us getting Kevin Love?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know who was Flip's college roommate and later worked with him?

3. mhch720

mhch720 Member

[​IMG]

This guy?

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

5. Raven

Raven Member

Addition by subtraction!

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

And BTW, here's Flip talking about why he thinks Kevin McHale would enjoy coaching the Rockets back in 2011:

I wonder if the Rockets can, well, flip our lotto bust to Saunders since he seems to have an affinity for at least one of them.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What took them long enough?

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It provides a better dynamic than if Adelman remains; BTW - - I hope Adelman retires to spend more time with Mary Kay with her in good health and BTW II - - ESPNChicago seems to feel Bulls are anointable as KLove's destination (du jour).

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

To be honest the first thing that came to mind was Patrick Paterson and that's just awful.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Noooo how are we going to poach Kevin Love now?

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I do like Flip Saunders as an analyst, and seems like a good basketball coach (despite his efforts in previous years) however as a GM in this new era NBA I do not think he will do well.

Look at the best GM's out there right now. Presti, RC Buford, Morey, etc. You really need a GM now that's going to be able to build a team, and build around your star players with a smart, analytical mind set, and most importantly... they need to be able to be able to set aside that part of their brain that tells them they need to do whatever it takes to win the very next game instead of focusing on the long term goal.

My guess is that this is a swing for the fences, win as many games as we can, to keep Kevin Love in Minnesota, and keep Rubio happy there as well despite what it might cost your franchise long term.

This guy might seriously overpay for solid role players, and set this team back even further long term. Oh well, its not like I really care that much about the Timberwolves.

FYI anyone expecting to get Love this Summer in trades was wishing for a miracle anyways because they know they have another season to keep him before they need to look at trading him.

13. Prince

Prince Member

great move.

14. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Geez, the hiring hasn't even been completed, and you're speculating how badly a former coach will do as a GM.

1 person likes this.
  15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets would never replace Morey with a Flip Saunders. On the flip side, Kahn should have no trouble landing a job, right Ric?

17. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Since Saunders and Mchale are suck good friends, maybe they can give us first dibs on Kevin Love

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's just strange because Saunders is on ESPN right now as an analyst... probably not live (maybe recorded last night or this morning), but if the report was accurate, you would think ESPN would ask him about it on air if they had any credibility as a news organization.

I do think this hurts the Kevin Love pursuit, if there was going to be one. Love felt some bitterness about the previous negotiation and Saunders can come in and try to repair the relationship. I could see the Timberwolves doing some serious cleaning though.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't.

But were you aware Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley were roommates? And that Jordan played the guitar? I bet you never heard that.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree! Sort of the Good Cop/ Bad Cop routine.
    Those sneaky bast**ds....:eek: