1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac's take on the new season (Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dafatha00, Sep 27, 2006.

1. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

T-Mac Interviewed at News Conference for NBA Live 07

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tracy McGrady says Chinese center Yao Ming has come of age as an NBA player and expects the two of them to make this a big year for the Houston Rockets.

McGrady played in only 47 games last season because of a back injury, and Yao missed time with a toe injury, but when the dynamic duo were on court together the Rockets were 21-10.

"We were unbelievable," McGrady told reporters on Wednesday at a news conference to launch the NBA LIVE 07 video game.

The problem for Houston was the long stretch of games when they were not on court together, going 13-38 for an overall record of 34-48.

McGrady said he was healthy and raring to go, just like Yao, who he saw recently during an Asian tour to promote his new sports shoe.

"He's great, strong. He's in great shape. His body fat is unbelievable. This is going to be a really interesting season."

McGrady, who averaged 24.4 points to 22.3 for Yao, said there might be a silver lining to missing nearly half a season through injury.

"I think it gave Yao the opportunity to progress and gain more confidence in his ability to lead a team," the high-scoring swingman said.

"I think me being out was a good thing for Yao. It was kind of like the Grant Hill situation for me. When I first came to Orlando, Grant Hill wasn't healthy and it gave me the opportunity to blossom into the player that I am.

"I think he's ready," McGrady said about the big center, who at 26 is one year younger than him. "With the two of us out there on the basketball court healthy, anything is possible for us. I really feel we can be one of the elite teams in our conference."

McGrady said they had a special chemistry.

"The thing about myself and Yao is we're very unselfish players. I don't care about him getting 30 or 40 points and I just get 15. As long as I win.

"This year I would defer more to him because I think he's ready to take on a bigger role. Not that I'm going to tone my game down, but I'm going to get him more involved and get more touches. We just got that chemistry."

Another factor that could boost the Rockets is the off-season addition of Shane Battier, who gives Houston another jump-shooting option and is also a tough-nosed defender.

"I think he's going to help us in so many areas," McGrady said. "He brings so much, defensive intensity and his IQ for the game of basketball.

"Him being a great spot shooter from the outside will release some of that pressure off myself and Yao. With (coach) Jeff Van Gundy's system on defense, he can be a b**** of a defender."

"This really is going to be a great season for the Houston Rockets."

Damn I can't wait for the season to start! Gonna be great guys...

2. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

T-Mac always saying the good things before the start of the season; it might change just after the first regular season game :(

3. Omer

Omer Member

*GASP*

He said that to Reuters!

Heh, nice article. I love reading all the T-Mac stuff I can get.

4. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I just don't like TMAC's analogy of himself being Grant Hill......

Surely hope he won't be Grant Hill (touch wood).....as Grant Hill never really totally recovers to be a good player anymore........

Other than that......all pump up by his confidence !!

Just can't wait for the new season to kick off..... :D

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds as if the offense is going through Yao most of the time now,giving Tracy a better chance of staying healthy.TMac would do well to employ his perimeter/middle game with less drives all the way for the throw down.I'm not advocating him bombing away from downtown.It's just that there should be much easier shots this year for all including Tracy.

6. YaoMcGrady

YaoMcGrady Contributing Member

pyruen, Im assuming you can read since you're so smart...
    But Tracy never compared himself to Grant Hill, he actually compared Yao to himself...
    Read it closer...

7. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I KNOW! I can't believe he said that Shane is a great shooter, I mean, come on.

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

ya he did, you are wrong.

9. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Umm..yes he did compare himself to Grant Hill in that when Grant was injured, T-Mac improved because he got more of the ball etc; in the same way, when T-Mac was injured last season it gave Yao a chance to develop.

10. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, he said it was just like the Grant Hill situation for Yao Ming last season, which means he was Grant Hill, that got injured, and Yao Ming got the rare opportunity to learn how to lead a team without him, just like he learnt to lead his team with Grant Hill injured and missed the whole season during his days as an Orlando Magic.............

And I'm saying I don't want him to become Grant Hill who never totally recovers to be as good a player as he was before he was injured.

So what's wrong with that ??

11. YaoMcGrady

YaoMcGrady Contributing Member

I don't know, I apologize...
    I'm just sooooooooooo on edge right now the Astros are seriously about to give me a heart attack