1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac/Yao era Vs Harden era injury nervousness.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robroy77, Feb 13, 2013.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

So last night my wife was excited to see the so called reamatch of last weeks blow out. I guess I got her excited as she really hasnt watched a lot of Rockets games since the Yao/Mac era. She really was enjoying the new play style and all until Harden went down after a drive where he looked like he banged his hurt knee again. She was a little upset, as she thought he was really hurt. I told her he was already nursing a sore knee. So we moved on. Later when he twisted his ankle she couldnt believe the one game she watched this season, we lost Harden to injury. She was sad, then within about 15 minutes he was ready to check back in. She couldnt believe it after he left the floor barely walking. Hearing her concern made me realize that she was still in the Yao/Mac mindset when it comes to injuries. Which made me think how much times have changed! Back then every grimace from Mac or Yao had me feeling like the season could be over. Especially Mac, he wouldve missed at least a game or two twisting his ankle like Harden did. Just something I thought I would throw out there. Feels good to have a Superstar that plays through pain cause he knows what he means to the team. Yao couldnt help it, but T-Mac seemed to have the heart of a hamster! Harden is all heart. We are lucky.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

Agree to a certain extent, but to be fair, Harden is still 23, and and ankle sprain/sore knee is not really comparable to back spasms.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup,
    the superstars with heart overcome their injuries and obstacles and don't whine to the media about it.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Even if a our team plane crashed, we'd still have one player, Royce White. So you have to look at the bright side of things.

2 people like this.
  5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

What is heart? Some players are just younger without much injury history.

6. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

#IWasRightAboutPlanes #BeWell

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

How can you blame T-mac? It was TC's bad lighting that caused his shooting woes!!

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

To be fair, and I'm by no means a T-Mac apologist....but playing through back spasms isn't even really possible. I've been around a lot of people who have suffered from them, and that is pain that you can't just buck up and ignore.

9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Horrible thought but very true.

Royce would be the building block and our whole D-league team would be called up

10. jocar

jocar Member

11. SugarLandDream8

Even Big Yao at 7'6 was totally healthy his first 3 seasons missing a total of just 2 games.

Harden should be fine. He has a durable NBA body type. Just a few days of rest and he should be good to go.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

James Harden will break the injure curse.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Awful thought, man.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you jinxed us. If James gets injured we'll know whose house to show up with pitchforks and I'm sure Clutch will give us your ip.

[​IMG]

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, what everyone else said.....Can't compare the two. Harden's issues are accidents, not chronic injuries. He'll heal fine. assuming he doesn't make them worse. both Yao and tmac were destined to have injuries as basketball players.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

No one should get a free pass on injuries. It's the NBA it happens.

Hakeem got elbowed in the eye socket by that thug Cartwright while the Rockets were whipping the living crap out of the Bulls in the 90s in their own stadium.

He had to go out on a stretcher and miss a crap load of games and wear stupid goggles. Cartwright would have been suspended in today's game.

Everybody gets hurt, but people should get praised for the Dexterity like Dream and Otis Thorpe, not people making excuses for highest paid players who get hurt all the time.

17. VBG

VBG Member

While it's nice to think that way, it really depends on the injury. Coming back too early is what cost Yao and T-Mac their careers.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao was a dependable player until Tim Thomas fell on his foot.
    Foot injuries to players that big are career dooming injuries see Rik Smits and Shaq.

You know what McGrady said about his health and you know if it was true or not. I know you don't want me to quote McGrady the multiple times he said he was 'back'.

He doesn't deserve a pass, no one does, the NBA history has had many great players who've succumbed to injuries.

Larry Bird had a bad back. Much worse than Tmac. No one's talking about his back, they only talk about his legacy.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect to the OP, this thread is BAD JUJU!!!

Now I'm nervous. I wasn't nervous before.

20. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

Harden is far more durable... major knee-jerk by your wife but i understand the fear