1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Synergy Stats - Individual Offensive Plays, 2013-14 Regular Season Findings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Apr 24, 2014.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Synergy Stats- Offense Plays (Individual), 2013-14 Regular Season

Dwight Howard
    [​IMG]

- Dwight shot over 50% of his shots in the post, at only 45.6% FG%. What's worse is that he turns the ball over 1 out of 5 times without getting a shot off. This converts to an absolutely abysmal 0.76ppp! Dwight in the post is just not an effective play.

- Compare to Dwight as the PnR man. He scores a beastly 67% of the time at 1.28ppp. Compare to Dwight cutting - a downright crazy 1.65ppp! There is no reason Dwight should not be featured more while rolling or cutting to the basket.

James Harden
    [​IMG]

-This is going to be the most controversial reveal. ISO Harden and Harden as the primary ball handler leads to a below average result (<1.00 ppp), yet it comprises 50% of his shots.. Moreover, when Harden is the PnR ball handler, he turns it over 1 out of 5 times. When he is spotting up, coming off screens, or getting a hand-off, he converts well over >1.00ppp. Should Harden be handling the ball?

-In fact, it's hard to find a ray of light looking across Harden's stats. So do we declare him a volume chucker that can only take defenders in ISOs with average results? A deeper look reveals that his effectiveness comes purely through his high rate of drawing fouls at staggering 13% of the time. This is probably the key to Harden's game; if he's not able to draw fouls on his defender, he should be featured less in the offense.

Chandler Parsons
    [​IMG]

-Synergy stats tell us Chandler is awful handling the ball or in ISO situations. He cannot create his own shot. Off plays however, Chandlers is an effective scoring option (compare with Harden's better plays).

-There is a trend that should be becoming obvious by now. Shots off plays and in transition are much higher % scoring opportunities (and much higher than Harden ISO). Chandler, by synergy stats, should be a much larger part of the offense off plays.

Terrence Jones
    [​IMG]

- TJ is very effective in all situations outside of ISO and spot-up shooting. He is also a decent post option. Going to TJ should be a much more common option on offense.

Patrick Beverly
    [​IMG]

- PB has one very interesting stat: he is by far the best PnR ball-handler (by individual scoring) on the team (keep in mind, these stats do not focus on ability to generate assists, only scoring)

- Overall not a great offensive option. However, he produces particularly well as a spot-up 3-point shooter.

Jeremy Lin
    [​IMG]

- Lin turns the ball over A LOT and is not effective in situations where he handles the ball (again, stats do not reveal a player's ability to generate assists).

- Surprisingly, Lin is a good spot-up shooter.

Main takeaways:
    - Run more plays. The team is full of inefficient ISO players and ball-handlers, including Harden.
    - Beverley is the best option as a scoring ball handler in PnR.
    - Keep push push pushing the tempo. Transition is one of the Rocket's strongest points.
    - Feature Dwight more in the PnR and off cuts to the basket. Maybe we can't declare his post game to be fully dead, but more development should probably wait til next season.
    - If Harden is having difficult drawing fouls, the offense should flow in a different direction.
    - Feature TJ and CP more in the offense, off plays.
    - Pass the ball around more for spot-up shots (other than TJ). Spot-up shooting is an efficient offensive opportunity.

I will be following up with a second thread focused on team synergy stats and head-to-head vs. the blazers. link to part 2 here
    *reference: http://www.mysynergysports.com/

#1 crossover, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I love this stuff. Thanks.

3. The Jabberwock

Great stuff!!

Any synergy stats on Asik and the rest of the bench?
    (Garcia, DMo, Casspi & JHam)

4. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

so basically what they have been doing mostly are wrong. another solid prove they've been pursuing the wrong direction since the beginning of the season.

5. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

Best thread ive seen all day!

6. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

We need to look at the splits of these numbers based on the strength of the defense played. The numbers against strong regular season defenses are probably more indicative of what we need to do. As presented now, I think the numbers are too skewed to draw anything from them.

I'd be surprised if the data against strong defenses are very different from what the results look like at the end of the playoffs.

7. crossover

I didn't really talk about these guys since they are not getting minutes in the playoffs or have low number of offense plays (Asik/JHam). Garcia has low offensive efficiency in general (his inability to spot up is mainly holding him back). Dmo seems to only do well off PnR man, putbacks, or transition plays and is an extremely bad spot-up shooter :grin:

DMo
    [​IMG]

8. crossover

And I forgot to mention DMo defends the post relatively well.

9. crossover

I thought I'd bump this in lieu of aelliots post. At the time these threads only had a few views but I think now that the playoff fever and Lin threads have died down, the value of bumping them and re-examining them has worth.

The later parts can be found here:
    Part 2
    Part 3

I'm a big proponent of:
    1. Not posting Howard
    2. No ISOs, more plays
    3. Harden as NOT the ballhandler (the team/other Harden options have better ppp opportunity cost and it also questions Harden's value to the team)

And I think these stats support it.

10. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

You can't draw sweeping conclusions like this from simple Synergy numbers. The game isn't played in a vacuum.

A quick example, which would be one of many given your conclusions:

Jones is effective in the post because he almost exclusively goes into the post when he has a mismatch after a rotation.

11. imaginedragons

great stats!

the OP mentioned that Harden's effectiveness centers a lot on his ability to draw fouls but his iso efficiency is quite poor. when he is cutting or receiving the ball on spot ups, his efficiency soars. logically, a lot of ball movement and movement away from the ball with Harden as the finisher takes advantage of his strengths. Harden as the finisher can also draw a lot of fouls. Much better than using iso just to take advantage of his ability to draw fouls with the caveat of being error prone and inefficient. As a receiver, you eliminate that. Forget the iso, make all the Rockets offensive players learn to keep moving without the ball. There were very few isos with Harden when he was quite successful at OKC.

12. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Terrence Jones is going to be an absolute monster soon.

13. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

And um, don't get too ahead of yourself Mr.Synergy. This is judging pure scoring. Harden is by far the best passer on the team and in any case, the most dangerous player on the team with the ball in his hands because of it.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I noticed the stats don't take into account assists or further passes that result in points. That's huge, no? Jeremy Lin is a good spot up shooter, but Harden is awful at iso's. I wonder how Jeremy is getting those open looks? Could it be from the attention Harden gets on an ISO or other play? Man, I thought Synergy stats were better than that. They don't really tell me enough without the passing info.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You are going to be extremely dissapointed in how the next 2 - 3 years play out.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. One issue with the way these plays are categorized is that a lot of times what is coded an "iso" happens when a team did run a play set, but it didn't generate an open shot so the team is left to go one-on-one as the clock runs down.

Given this, "isos" are going to be a comparatively low value play for almost every player. Moreover, the issue may not be that a team chooses to go with "iso" too often, it may be that the way it runs the other plays isn't crisp enough to generate an easy shot (like a pass to a cutter for a dunk or an open spot up corner 3) often enough.

A piece of info that may be interesting to see is how the Rockets' frequency and efficiency for "iso" and various other kinds of plays compare to that of other teams.

2. The "pick and roll ball handler" play may be similar to "iso" in that it's what happened when the other better options didn't materialize-- the defense didn't leave the roll man or another player open for a layup or a spot up J, so the ball handler puts up a shot with various degree of difficulty.

A team also tends to go to a random quick pick and roll at times when the clock is running down either as a result of nothing becoming open or as a result of a team deliberately running the clock down on offense.

Anyhow, the info is interesting but must be read within the context of how a game often happens.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Don't forget 2 for 1's. they're by design lower percentage but for a reason, and almost always come off isos or quick pnrs

But if you look at the numbers, the solution would be put the ball in Harden's hands, he sees the lowest increase from on ball to off ball whilst simultaneously having the best on ball performance, which is umm, what we did.

There is no player in the nba who is better on ball than off ball, the closest are Lebron, Durant and CP3 (shocked i bet).

The other issue I have is that there's a difference between recognising when the defense makes a mistake, and creating the play, basket cuts are a perfect example, Dwight's pick and rolls, Harden's hand offs etc are another, watch the videos, the 3 hand-off freebies they have is Matthews getting himself stuck on a screen.

High % plays that occur infrequently are almost always the result of a defensive lapse (Harden isn't the only one who does these....)

#17 Aleron, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to post up Dwight, because he needs to be able to do it when the playoffs roll around. He carried us in a few of those Portland games with his low post game.