1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court to Hear Case Involving Racial Bias in the Jury Room

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mdrowe00, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...and here's another reason why it might not be such a good idea to elect a Donald Trump to the Presidency(emphasis mine)....

Does what happens in the jury room stay in the jury room?

Supreme Court to Hear Case Involving Racial Bias in the Jury Room
    by Pete Williams, NBC News

Does what happens in the jury room stay in the jury room?

The U.S. Supreme Court takes up that question Tuesday in the case of a Hispanic man from Colorado who was convicted after a juror said during deliberations, "I think he did it because he's Mexican."

The court must decide whether guaranteeing a fair trial requires allowing exceptions to centuries-old rules that keep jury deliberations secret.

Miguel Angel Peña-Rodriguez was charged with harassing and trying to grope two teenage girls in the women's bathroom at a horse racing track near Denver. He claimed it was a case of mistaken identity, and a fellow track employee testified that Peña-Rodriguez was elsewhere when the assault took place.

After he was convicted of two misdemeanor counts but acquitted on a felony charge, two jurors came forward to say that racist comments were made during deliberations.

Related: SCOTUS Clears Way for New Trial, Finds Racial Bias in Jury Selection

According to them, one of the jurors said he was a former law enforcement officer and that where he once patrolled, "nine times out of 10, Mexican men were guilty of being aggressive toward women and young girls" and that he thought the defendant was guilty "because he's Mexican and Mexican men take whatever they want."

As for the alibi witness, they recalled that the juror said the testimony wasn't credible because the witness "was an illegal." In fact, the man was a legal U.S. resident, though he traveled from Mexico to testify.

Peña-Rodriguez sought a new trial, but the judge denied the request as did two state courts of appeal.

Related: U.S. Supreme Court to Consider Racial Bias in Selecting Jurors

The English legal tradition that America inherited protected the secrecy of deliberations and held that jurors could not be hauled back into court to explain their verdicts. The Supreme Court has repeatedly reaffirmed that understanding.

In 1987, the justices declined to order a new trial in a Florida mail fraud case after it was disclosed that jurors regularly drank pitchers of beer during lunch breaks, used mar1juana and cocaine, and feel asleep in court.

Preserving the secrecy of deliberations, the court said, is necessary "to assure full and frank discussion in the privacy of the jury room, to prevent the harassment of jurors by losing parties, and to preserve the community's trust in a system that relies on the decisions of laypeople."

In 2014, the Supreme Court reached a similar conclusion in the case of South Dakota motorcycle rider whose leg was amputated after he was hit by a truck. During deliberations, a juror said her daughter was at fault in a fatal accident and that if she had been sued, "it would have ruined her life."

But the justice said then that there could be "cases of juror bias so extreme" that blocking an inquiry into the deliberations would violate the Constitution's fair trial guarantee.

Colorado argues in the current case that enough safeguards are in place to root out bias, including voir dire — the extensive questioning of potential jurors before the trial.

"The threat to verdict finality is substantial," said Frederick Yarger, Colorado's solicitor general. An exception to jury secrecy for allegations of racial prejudice "would likely be expanded to other biases and juror misconduct."

But Jeffrey Fisher of Stanford Law School, who represents Peña-Rodriguez, said racial bias in the jury room can never been excused.

"When a defendant's life or liberty is at stake, there is no valid interest in creating breathing space for jurors to argue that a defendant should be convicted because of his race."

Most states have rules that forbid post-trial inquiries into potential juror bias. But Fisher said eight states have made exceptions to allow jurors to testify about racial bias in the jury room — California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kansas, Washington, Minnesota, New York and Oklahoma.

A decision is expected by late June.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's another one. This one is getting looked at too

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I know about this one, too...

...as I understand it, the big thing with this case is the sentencing...the verdict, it seems, was going to stand...

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I served on a jury once when an Hispanic man was being sued for breach of fiduciary duty. In jury deliberations, the biggest personality in the room was this wizened old Hispanic guy who said he felt like this suit was just another instance of white people trying to use the system to oppress Hispanics. We ultimately found in favor of the hispanic guy, but I didn't feel very comfortable with the stark racial lens this juror was arguing from. But, when the lawyers for the losing side interviewed me about the case (they wanted to know where they went wrong), they asked if the jury deliberations were impartial and I closed ranks. Whatever our problems were as a jury we worked them out among ourselves; the last thing I wanted to do was give anyone an opening to say we didn't do things fairly. It was fair. I didn't agree with that juror's approach, but we unanimously got to the same conclusion. Same with the OP case, they had 1 alleged racist and 11 other guys who would have to agree with him before it mattered. I think jurors can handle these things, assuming you don't pick 12 bad apples.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is slightly related, but Radiolab recently did a podcast series on pivotal Supreme Court cases called "More Perfect." It was very well done and this episode highlighted the Court's history in presiding over race-related jury selection cases:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/object-anyway

I highly recommend the entire series of episodes.

mdrowe00 and London'sBurning like this.