1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court Kills Class Action Lawsuits Against Corporations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets R' Us, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

http://www.latimes.com/business/sc-dc-0428-court-class-action-web-20110427,0,1239412.story

Cliffs:
    Consumers have been able to band together to sue corporations, but the Supreme Court rules in a Southern California case that firms can force customers to arbitrate their complaints individually. The ruling is seen as a major victory for corporations.

Don't agree with this decision at all. Class action lawsuits, while frivolous and irritating at times, have led to major reform in the past. This takes away another tool the consumer has against corporations. Individual arbitrations will never lead to overall change in corrupt/unjust corporate practices.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not sure if the consumer is greatly affected. While I like that companies fear the sting of consumer retribution for knowingly negligent acts they commit, I doubt I've ever seen more than 30 bucks from a class action settlement while the law firm handling the case get on the upwards of 60% of the settlement/judgement.

Roberts Court still sucks.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

The big loser in this is the lawyers.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is less about the money you get and more about changing how companies do business. If they are punished with monetary loss then they will serve as an example going forward.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Can't wait til the court flips.

This is getting embarassing.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wouldn't the invisible hand of free market strike the evil doing companies into submission through their voting dollars?

7. Bandwagoner

Yes it would but only after people are hurt. for example a faulty toaster than burns down your house would surely hurt the companies profits in the long term but there is no reason to let that play out.

8. Rockets R' Us

Personally I think the "invisible hand" of the free market falls apart when any company makes you sign any "agreement/contract".

The free market in its purest form is a market for goods/services, ruled by supply/demand with no obligations (ie. locked contracts). There is no "free market" anymore, it's simply a corporate ruled and profit driven heist meant to maximize the profit, while minimizing resistance from the unsatisfied consumer. By putting in corporate protection rules/language in any corporation/consumer relations, you've already broken the invisible hand by forcing the consumer into your very visible hand, then demanding to close the fist around them. Sure you can leave and go to another product, but it'll cost you to break that contract. Sure you can buy another toaster if this one is faulty, but with the massive amount of people operating in this free market, it isn't the same affect as back in the days of telling your neighbor not to buy from Bill's toasters. The corporations aren't affected by dollars and pennies; they're affected by millions of dollars and millions of pennies. The major way to gather that many people and make that sort of effect was through the tool of class action law suits.

9. Bandwagoner

What happens to your theory when you realize that it is easy and sometimes cheaper to buy mobile service without a contract?

10. Rockets R' Us

There are always exceptions, I was talking in generalities with the bigger corporations to consumers relation.

It's easier and cheaper to buy a mobile service w/o contract, sure. How about major class action lawsuits against pharmaceuticals? Some people are forced to buy specific meds either due to their condition or a side contract through insurance. There is sometimes no "cheaper" and "easier" options, especially when it comes to something like healthcare. If large groups of people, representing a large group of spending power, can no longer hold a large corporation liable for large collective damages, than individual arbitration cases allow companies to quietly shove problems under the rug on a case by case basis. The big fen-phen ruling would have never happened if we apply this interpretation of law going forth.

There's also the problem of investors holding corporations liable for fraud, etc.

I'm sure it'd be easier and cheaper to not invest collectively in stocks, not spend a large amount on insurance, not sign up with big companies and opt for local options....however in the big corporate society we live in these days, in some areas it isn't possible to opt out. For example there are locales across the country were certain municipalities and towns are locked into service contracts with AT&T, Comcast, etc. No options for service for those who live in the town, either you have internet through X provider or you have no internet. Obviously it'd be cheaper to not have internet, however it isn't reasonable in today's day and age to conduct day to day business for the average consumer without having internet.

The slippery slope is too slippery IMO for something like this to be wiped away.

I agree with your earlier point of It is less about the money you get and more about changing how companies do business.

#10 Rockets R' Us, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  11. Bandwagoner

Fen-Phen was pulled from the market by the FDA in 1997. Lawsuits came later.

You have confused this issue with collective bargaining. That town had the same choices of everyone else, chose one provider, then made a deal with them to gain larger buying power. It has nothing to do with this topic.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rockets R' Us

Did not know that. Thanks for sharing.

I guess it's more of a policy point than a strictly legal one, since in the strictly legal sense, the court did uphold the law seeing as arbitration has already been there before and class actions were sidestepping them. However on a purely public policy consumerism angle, I believed that the class actions did promote corporate change in business practice/products. Now that the fear of class action is gone, I fear that the influence to change for the better is now gone as well.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If you allow arbitration agreements, then I think it would probably be making stuff up for the SC to say they can't supercede class-action suits. Where's the basis in law? I think it's unjust (I think the whole arbitration trend is unjust), but the solution isn't to have the Supreme Court flying by the seat of its pants. The appropriate venue would be legislation around what rules arbitration must abide by. But, I'm not optimistic that'll happen either.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The basis in law for a federal court determining what is and isn't in its jurisidiction? Or whether or not an arbitration agreement is unconcsionable in a common law sense?

Neither of these things is even remotely in question.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not familiar with their particular argument before the court. What is the justification to allow an arbitration agreement to forbid a lawsuit but not a class-action suit? Was their some failing in the wording of the Federal Arbitration Act?

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The title of this thread is misleading as the Supreme Court isn't killing class action lawsuits against corporations just for consumers who have agreed to arbitration. A toaster maker who sells a faulty toaster that is shocking people could still be sued in a class action as long as the consumers didn't agree to a contract with arbitration.

17. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

This is the correct answers. Class action lawsuits stopped being a tool for the consumer a long time ago. The primary winner in a class action lawsuit is the class counsel. The secondary winner is the defense counsel. The tertiary winner is some times the defendant. While the company spends a lot of money defending the case, it quites often wins through the settlement, which is just a coupon to the consumers. The consumers then use the coupon to buy more product from the company.

Additionally, corporations have used class actions to dispose of large numbers of cases in a way that save the company money. I believe there have been allegations of collusion between companies and the class counsel to create and quickly settle cases in the past.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Striving for contentment as usual.

Let me know in advance when you can get cell service from a major telephone carrier that won't make you sign an arbitration agreement.

Try buying a car or an applicance etc.

Do you actually think you will be able to buy a lot of things besides maybe groceries or certain common items that won't make you sign arbitration agreements?

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm shocked.

Make no mistake, this is an affirmation of the nickel-and-dime theft that seems to be the model for corporations today. Think of the frustration you have when trying to get a bill fixed now and compound it to infinity. This removes pretty much any incentive the company has to make things right. They can wait you out and you are screwed. Go to a competitor you say? What competition is there if they all play the same game? Hey, cable/phone/internet/satellite/credit card/mortgage company and all other regularly charged services... add those fees, make those mistakes that are always in your favor, arrange it so that bills have a good chance of being late, and then stonewall and obfuscate as a matter of policy. It's all good. Our Supreme Court has just given you license to be creative in screwing consumers and now there is even less that we can do about it.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

This has already happened to me twice on credit cards. They changed the due date without letting me know and because of late payments upped my APR. Of course I caught it right away both times and threatened to cancel the cards if they persisted. They backed down but now? who knows?