1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supposedly O'Brien had to be restrained from Brock...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree Rick Smith is terrible.

On the cheap QBs, I agree with you in that they are fine as placeholders. But then he never drafted anyone for the long term. The one guy he did draft, Savage, he won't give a chance to.

The mallet situation was a joke, I think all can agree.

The real problem is McNair who lets this dysfunctional situation go on.

raining threes and blackistan like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Kubiak era... even though it finally became decent... was just as dysfunctional (if not more so).

You hire him to be the GM/coach... you let him bring in a patsy GM (smith) to run the cap and deflect some of the decision making blame... you let him completely ignore the defensive side, and putting incompetents like Frank Bush and a rookie secondary in a year you're supposedly prepared to contend... he's forced to accept an experienced DC who turns the defense around (and the team into a contender) overnight... he extends a QB coming off a serious foot injury at a time where it wasn't necessary.... when said QB implodes, he loses the entire team's respect within 2 games.... he then gets thrown under the bus by said patsy GM.

I mean seriously... you can't make this stuff up.... and this was all after the expansion regime, which may have very well been the worst front office/coaching staff group in NFL history. Casserly-Capers set the tone and bar so damn low that McNair has had no choice but to try and be as patient as possible with guys who are even just average at their job.

Lastly... to your first comment... who should they have drafted for the long term? Again, we all know they weren't ever going to draft Derek Carr, and they missed out on Jimmy G in favor of trying to build the O-line. Savage very well may be the opening day QB if they don't get Romo.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My money would be on Osweiler.

4. Mr. Clutch

I agree with your assessment. Common demoninator...McNair. he doesn't put the right people in the right spots. He created a backstabbing environment.

IMO he should have never made Rick Smith his most trusted advisor. A guy who doesn't really seem to know football. You put strong GMs with Kubiak and OBrien (that being said, Kubiak is a much better talent evaluator than Obrien, and isn't so careless with picks)

"They weren't ever going to draft Derek Carr." That's a problem. You shouldn't take a talent like that off the board for stupid reasons. Neither Morey (trading Rudy Gay for Battier) nor Lunhow (not sigining the top pick) were scared of unpopular moves. And like I have listed, they also passed up on other guys, not just Carr and Jimmy G.

And they mangled the o-line anyway.

#224 Mr. Clutch, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    raining threes likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He got the best season out of Fitzy and Hoyer... that's doing something.

6. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

They should have let them fight. BOB and Brock

Brock might be the worst Houston Pro Athlete of all time.

7. Mr. Clutch

Agreed, but that's starting to look like Fool's Gold. Now that Kubiak's OL is gone it's not working so well.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

All downhill since we lost Chris Myers, I did not realize how important he was.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

So many signs that Brock was mentally weak. Remember the Pizza incident? Maybe a little mean streak isn't such a bad thing after all.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Fitz had 1 good year with Jets, but the texans offense with those guys was not good. BOB is a mediocre coach who keeps getting jobs.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I didn't say the offense was good. I said BOB got Fitzy's best year. Best comp %, and higher rating than with the gets. Same with Hoyer.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But he didn't really. In both of those instances, the player was better the season after they left. FItz threw for a career high in TD passes with the Jets after he was gone and Hoyer went 5 whole games without throwing a pick after he left here....he couldn't go 2 starts without throwing a pick in Houston and was the Chiefs MVP while here.

Again, BOB is an offense guy and the offense has done nothing but get worse the longer he's been here.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I mentioned before Brock maybe having a slight attitude issue. The reason he even was available from Denver WAS cuz he was all butthurt about Peyton Manning taking his role. If he's gonna be like that about the greatest QB of our generation, can bet he's gonna act out about getting benched for Tom Savage.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Brooks and Ben Jones were big losses last year. Duane Brown and Newton are from the Kubiak regime as well

15. Mr. Clutch

Any free agent is available if you're willing to ridiculously overpay

Shroopy2 likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I have no issue with Osweiler being upset; he had, to that point, outplayed Manning. Plus, I want my QB to want to be out there - nothing wrong with that. You'd prefer him to meekly accept a bullshit situation and not stand up for himself?

Having said that... if this story is true about him and BOB, that competitive fire might really be entitlement and that's not good.

17. Mr. Clutch

I feel like Rick, Bill and Bob are trying to blame everything on Brock when in truth it was a really poor scouting job by the Texans.

Future free agents must be excited to come here.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who cares? There were many times while watching the Texans that I had to be restrained from the television.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Maybe. Then again, there's only so much you can ascertain about a person - be it a free agent or rookie - when there are no live bullets. Osweiler was a former second round pick; the Broncos really liked him; he looked promising in his seven starts; and he obviously *plays* the part very well. If, once here, they realized he wasn't very football smart and/or mentally tough... I mean, how would they have been able to scout that?...

I think the lesson, honestly - and maybe we're seeing the Texans incorporate this into their approach to free agency this year - is that there's NO REASON to rush these things. If the player wants to move faster than you, so be it - good luck. But it pays to take your time and, in hindsight, they should have brought him in and run a BOB-managed Gruden-like QB camp with him to see what they have. It's not like free agency has a deadline; they could have spent a week with him if there really was mutual interest.

I would hope this is why they're reluctant to deal for Romo - while there are fewer question marks with him regarding his football prowess - I still want them to bring him in and run him through some motions - physically and mentally - to make sure he's a good fit.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. raining threes

This doesn't seem to be the approach the Pats are taking.

Nor do they ever take this approach.

Same with the Seahawks/Giants/Cards etc... you know the upper tier teams. I mean even the Packers decided they have to play in FA if they want keep up.