1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar or bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shortfuse3, May 5, 2013.

1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

This offseason is really important, we must add at least one more superstar for it to be a successful offseason. If we don't add another superstar then we probably won't do anything...

Now more than ever do you need at least two superstars in order to win a championship. It doesn't help to add a lot of bench depth or a lot of good role players like the Nuggets or Clippers. Both of these teams were better than us this season yet they were nowhere close to a championship.

It also doesn't help to add "fringe" all-star players. Guys like Gerald Wallace and Jamal Crawford look great on paper, but adding good, not great players isn't helpful when you aren't a championship team to begin with. We need SUPERSTARS.

CP3 realizes the Clippers have reached their ceiling so there's a GREAT chance he may find Houston to be a more attractive situation, especially if Dwight Howard wants to join too.

Remember, we need SUPERSTARS to win a championship, not role players. SUPERSTAR OR BUST! Here's to a succesfful offseason!

2. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

I concur, there is no doubt about it. We need to further breed greatness, AS WELL AS recruit it, indeed .. and I think we can do both. I sense that there are many eyes on the Rockets now, more than we realize, now that they have gotten more of a taste of what we can do.

3. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

I don't think it is a "or bust" scenario. It would be nice to get another superstar, but if we don't, I want them to keep these guys together. I wish we had the patience to groom this team into something great. By playing together for a few years, they grow together and become unstoppable. they are all so young, even Omer. He got so much better this year, I would like to see us keep working with him. Howard just seems like a headache to me.

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

People always say we are young and we have plenty of time to become elite. Not necessarily true.

We need to get another superstar NOW. Otherwise guys like Parsons, Beverley, even Greg Smith will get paid on the open market. It would kill any cap space we'd hope to have to sign a Dwight or CP3-like superstar.

If we get Dwight or CP3 NOW (hell, even both) we'd be allowed to go over the cap to resign our supporting cast. We would be allowed to give Parsons $9m with Harden and Dwight on our team since we held his BIRD rights.

This summer, it's star or bust.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey already chose bust. Guess we won't be getting a superstar.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Have faith, his contract may be worth something.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who is to say Parsons or Lin won't become superstars?

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

My personal window is two offseasons. The only players we can go after this offseason is Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. We are going against more money as well as Hollywood. Of course there is a chance, but I wouldn't put it against Morey if neither of them come here in Houston.

Next offseason, we have more assets in my opinion. By that time, Jeremy Lin's contract will be an expiring (as well as Asik's). Going after Kevin Love would be ideal for our current situation because of our glaring hole at the power forward positoin.

9. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Eh, still a rookie. A little harsh on the guy.

10. rokit

rokit Member

11. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Three words....

Assets Assets Assets...

there are more ways to get a superstar other than Free agency... one is by trading up and acquiring first round draft picks... this is the same method we got harden in the first place... if we can't close the deal on CP3 or DH12, at least get an asset\s in FA... this way we can easily make some moves once the season starts... more assets more possibilities

12. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

You guys make the GARM almost unbearable.

The first year this young group plays together and they exceed all expectations. Then everyone wants to get rid of our players for a prima donna like Dwight. Chris Paul would be a great addition but for chrissake give our team a little time to grow and gel.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am all for the Superstar or Bust. But those days of superstars moving to new franchises are gone. The minute you say there is a great chance your whole plan goes out the window. Even players who may want to (Howard may be in that boat but doubtful CP3 is) have agents to talk them out of it. That's what the best agents do. They lay it out on the table. They say this is the guaranteed money you will be risking. This is the opportunity for money in a market like LA you will be risking. This is what you might get in Houston. But there are no guarantees. They basically slap the face of their client and show him the reality.

Howard's agent will lay it out clearly and Howard will weigh his options. He may really like Harden and even like Houston although he didn't seem so enthused a year ago. Remember we had deal on the table that was real close and when Howard wind of it he immediately signed an extension to play for the Magic. He was trying to force a trade to Brooklyn even to the point of saying he wouldn't resign with any other team. But his bluff didn't work because Morey was willing to trade for him anyway.

Morey was willing to trade for Howard even if he didn't sign an extension with us. Which brings up another point, Morey was so convinced that Howard would sign with us before he would walk away from 30 million that he was willing to throw a lot of assets in order to have that opportunity. Wow that was either a big risk or a lot of smarts convincing him he would stay.

One thing for sure Morey is not stupid. he is a risk taker but only when the odds are stacked heavily in his favor. The reason the odds were in his favor is because very few players have ever walked away from that kind of money. Everyone keeps saying what about Lebron. Will lebron only walked away from half of that amount extended over an extra year and Miami explained to him how he would get most of that back just in State tax and the other would be from jumping out of a small market and finally he would almost be certain to win championships in Miami which would bring him in the real bucks.

Yes we have no state tax. So that is on our side but Howard would be walking away from twice as much as Lebron in 2 less years and even with the no state sales tax he would lose well over 20 million. And that's when his agent steps in and says there are no guarantees. Yeah he could make some of that up on his next contract. But many an athlete has gotten injured and lost millions because of it.

Howard's body is already showing signs of breaking down. No one likes to acknowledge that part but it is true and it is true he will continue to take a beating because the number one way to defend Howard is to hard foul him. Let me repeat that. Howard's body is breaking down because he takes a beating night in and night out and the number one way to stop him is to continue beating on him. Howard has ticking clock on his body. I digress.

The point is Howard is not likely walking in the Rockets door and Morey already knows that. ANd CP3 is even much less likely. As for picking up a tier 1 superstar later down the road. it's less likely. Only your current team can sign you as a max player. No sign and trades for the max players. No what might be available or the second tier superstars. Because once you designate Lebron as your 5 year Max player all you can offer Bosh is a year deal for lower yearly increases. He can get that anywhere there is no incentive to play for Miami unless he just loves it there. It's the same situation in Minny. Kahn was considering giving his Max deal to Rubio. Which means Love could only get the lesser max deal. Love would surely walk if they did that. Saunders is not stupid. Love gets the max deal. Rubio gets a good deal. And the value of talent is put back in it's proper order. Superstar or bust mentality means almost certain Bust.

14. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Morey went after Howard before we had Harden. Now we just need someone who can run the PnR with Lin and Harden while providing some defense in the paint. If only Garnet were younger.

As much as I don't like what I read of him; a player like Garnet is exactly what the Rockets need to be near complete. Howard is no Garnet mentally. Wonder if TRob can be a serviceable player next season...

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I'm all for having our young guys grow, but honestly if we don't have a player who has superstar potential then what's the point of watching them grow?

We got rid of Donte Green who some thought was a promising young player and where is he now? TRob could turn out to be serviceable PF, but an all-star? Doubtful. And even if he became an all-star, it would take about 2 years at least for him to show significant improvement, and by then Parsons will be a FA. And this is IF TRob becomes a star, a big IF.

You think Morey wants to give time for this team to grow? Heck no. He is working the phones to see how he'll be able to acquire Chris Paul or Howard.

16. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

Well put. Or else it is just a dead-end that we find ourselves spinning our wheels in, and while some progress would surely be made, not nearly enough to get out of any ruts in the road ahead.

17. larry cook

larry cook Member

Yeah this team needs another star and some defensive stoppers for cheap if we ever plan on beating that Heat team.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You probably want Bosh then.

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Bosh is a much tamer version of KG but I see the passion to win in him. He would be a good fit with this team (much better than DHo) but there is no way Miami is dealing him.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Bosh would be great with this team. He'd be able to slide to the 5 when Asik sits to play small ball, he can run the pick and roll and more importantly doesn't clog the paint while still having *some post moves.

*not overwhelming in the paint, but still enough to not get guarded by someone like Harden without exacting revenge.