1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Max for California Players is worthless

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I see the cp3 all State commercial all the time.

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

What does it matter to pay no state income tax if your property taxes rise every year based on bullshit appraisals?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  3. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

lmao even with property tax if you invest in real estate in Houston you can easily profit off of it

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The Ca tax applies for games that are played outside Ca provided you are a Ca resident (which a clippers player is), they let you deduct the difference with other states, so effectively the Ca tax for all games (I'm not sure if he can deduct city taxes, so that would make it slightly less again)

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Did he get those spots solely because he is in LA? Are they going away if he leaves? I don't see Melo doing huge ad campaigns just because he's in New York.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah - it's fortunate that there are no real run down areas, crime, or traffic in LA. It's all just beautiful white sandy beaches. :p :p :p

FLASH21 and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

From what I'm seeing the jock tax in Cali is 13.3%?

Based on my findings my calculations are as follows.

If you strip the "5th year" from comparing staying in LA to moving to Texas he would make more money here. And let's be honest, he isn't worried about that 5th year. He will get it. And the 5th year would be a player option he would put to use.

So in LA he could get the 5yr 205,030,000 super Max.
    If you eliminate the "5th year" it is 158,371000
    Which is higher than the 152,005,005 we could offer.

Now if you apply the jock tax of 13.3% in California it drops it to 137,308,056
    But I believe the jock tax only applies for games in Cali so let's add back half that tax deduction.
    With 41 games at 13.3% jock tax he earns 147,839,528

So the 4 year Max in Cali is

The 4 year Max in Texas is

So he would actually make an extra 4,165,477 more playing in Houston.

*all math done under 101m salary cap projection
    **i am not an expert and am just guessing about with limited knowledge.

This is actually my findings posted in another thread. Albeit it's not perfect because ur doesn't account for how many games we play outside of Texas. All 41 home games and all games against the mavs, and Spurs are tax free. That's a good majority of games. Meanwhile, LA you have that huge tax in 41 games asking with lakers, Sacramento and golden state being the majority getting taxed.

But this is a good base comparison which is why I roughly crunched the numbers

#27 BigMaloe, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    rockets13champs and hakeem94 like this.
  8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

He ain't dumb. He recently found out about Trump's tax advisor. He will hire him to have his taxes done.

9. HTM

HTM Member

I happened to go in there like 6 months ago and it was half deserted/half hispanic... Not a word of English was spoken (just look at the sign in the picture lol)

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If the home team can give 5 years, and the new team can give 4 years. What Is stopping a team from doing 4 years and redoing the contract like they plan to do for Harden this year. Meaning after the first year, just redo the contract back out to 4 years 1 year + 4 years = 5 years. I'm sure I'm missing something right ?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  11. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

LOl the misconception that california people are attractive.. they aren't.

this coming from someone that grew up in san francisco, moved to southern california haha.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So let's say after deducting taxes paid on away games for the Rockets, it ends up about equal.

Now it becomes about that 5th year, lifestyle and competitiveness.

On the 5th year, I guess it's common practice to agree to an extension under the table. The danger for Paul is that it's not in writing so who knows. The danger for Houston is they will be paying a lot of money for a 35 year old player. Paul's game is however not predicated at all on athleticism (though I'm sure everything will get slightly slower). We could also put in place some physical fitness parameters to protect us.

On the lifestyle, I'm guessing he would rather live in LA. Can't really do much about that, it's kind of subjective.

On competitiveness we offer a far better opportunity if Paul George would next agree to an extension. Harden, Paul and George would be a tier above anyone but the Warriors. If we still have Dekker and he comes back with a more solid 3pt shot, we are looking at competing with the Warriors even offensively. I would be very on board with plugging in basically a tall small forward with lateral quickness, defensive instincts and a 3pt shot. With Paul/George/Harden there is basically no more ball to share so we need our 4 to set screens, move quick, RUN HARD in transition, and be able to defend the new strain of PF's. Luc Mbah Moute comes to mind. Might be able to get value out of Mike Scott too. Maybe Harrell will surprise us by showing up with better range (this would be awesome fit too). Not great options, but realistically speaking, George will play at the 4 a lot.

13. rockets13champs

Houston chicks got a nice vibe to em

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Compton
    [​IMG]

3rd Ward
    [​IMG]

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The fifth year probably doesn't matter. If he leaves he's likely signing a 1+1 deal anyway.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Boom.