1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LIII: New England Patriots vs. Los Angeles Rams

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 20, 2019.

?

Super Bowl LIII: New England Patriots vs. Los Angeles Rams

Poll closed Feb 3, 2019.
  1. Patriots

80.6%
  2. Rams

19.4%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually think defenses should try and make stops in OT. Not a fan of the college OT where defense is intentionally mitigated.

If they want to extend OT in the playoffs, maybe sign off on that... but these games are too damn long and too injury inducing to have 3-4 more possessions per every OT game.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironically, teams deferred (or chose to kick, not receive) greater than 95% of games this year.

Apparently it makes more sense to start games on defense... but the same doesn't apply to OT?

If I had a dominant defense (with gas left in the tank), I'd defer on OT as well... easier to get a stop then kick a FG than drive for a long TD, IMO.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The starting possession in regulation means nothing because whoever doesn't start the first half will always start the second half. In OT, you don't have a second half. That's the whole point.

Teams choose to start the game on defense in the first half because they think the second half is more important. Have you ever seen a team choose defense in OT after winning a coin toss? I don't have the numbers. But I am almost certain that the teams that won the coin toss (and started the first possession in OT) won the majority of the games.

Any reasonable mind understands that given first opportunity to score first has a better chance of scoring first. The team that loses the coin toss will have to (1) stop the other teams offense AND (2) score on offense. The team that wins the coin toss only needs to do #2. So which is easier?

You don't have to play 15-minute OT. You can play, say, 10 minutes of OT.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also don’t have the numbers, but I would say that if you don’t score a TD on the first possession, your odds of losing go way up.

I have no doubt that teams take the ball first in OT. But teams also value their defenses (especially if it’s a strength), and like I said odds of a defensive stop and a FG are inherently greater than a length of field TD drive.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Yawwwwwn......

Pats- 45. RAMS 20

J.R. likes this.
  6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Should be Brady vs. Brees

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

9 f**king super bowl trips.

They need to spread some of this around

Marteen likes this.
  8. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Brady is the starting QB for 17% of all Super Bowls ever played.

red likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

I remember seeing the HD TV in the Smithsonian as the future around 96 or thereabouts, pretty impressive, and it's probably there as part of ancient history now. Just like Tom Brady, But I am rooting for the Patriots. Patriots 31 Rams 17.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a question: should we, the haters, root for the Patriots in the hopes that Brady and/or Belichick retires after a victory?

I'm tired of seeing them in this position every single year and will root for anything that ends the dynasty.

marks0223 likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Are we talking about overtime in here too then? If so, I think if a team scores on the first drive they should be able to "set the bar" - so 6pts + whatever they decide to do. If they score a 2. Game over. If they kick from 37, the other team has to score on their drive and kick from 38. Pee-pee games for my enjoyment.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It’s time to Ram it through Tom Brady’s depends!

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

Only plus side was adding his GF on insta.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I feel the ovetime is unfair, not because of the TD rule, but the because the team going 2nd has the unfair advantage of using all 4 downs to move down the field, while the team going first only uses 3 downs. That is the epitomy of unbalanced. Just like not using replay for flags, I feel like this has been washed under the radar and that one day everyone's eyes will be opened up to change it as a duh moment.

15. likestohypeguy

Weird detail request, but is it known ahead of time which uniforms each team will wear? For some reason don't like being surprised by that.

16. HstnSprtsFan101

We’ve got to. I’m a big fan of Brady, except when he rips the Texans heart out, no doubt the GOAT. With that being said I would love to see him retire. A win could do it. Pretty certain this will be Gronks last game.

17. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Since the 2013 nfl season (new OT rule was implemented) the team that won the coin toss in OT won 52% of the time. During that same stretch in college football, the team that won the coin toss in OT won 55% of the time.

Don’t forget, that same day the Saints won the coin toss in OT and lost.

Easy likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI : That's actually his father's jacket; he wore it in honor of him :

[​IMG]

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

As an Oilers fan, I am jolted to see that. :)