1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Super Bowl LI] - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sajan, Jan 22, 2017.

?

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2017.
  1. Patriots

48.1%
  2. Falcons

51.9%
  1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yes but it's in the vicinity of the pass, it's roughly 5-6 yard away, and tom got hit. In the video, there was no one within even what it seems like 15 yards of the ball. There's a clear difference.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Based on the hash marks, you can tell that the receiver is clearly more than 6 yards away from the ball. The intended target wasn't even aware he was the intended target.

I brought up the Patriots/Giants video to disprove the guy claiming that intentional grounding rarely gets called when the QB gets hit.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I did say "rarely". Bringing up one example disproves nothing and in that case it was only called because Brady clearly just chucked it down field past the coverage to not get intercepted, not to a receiver.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's not rare for a QB to get called for intentional grounding as he's being tackled. Here's the exact rule: "It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion."

Based on the wording, the QB getting hit almost seems like a given.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Umm, I'm not the one calling the former President a b**** or whatever it was. That reeks of being upset. I was over all this nonsense weeks ago. I'm actually quite happy b/c I knew all along President Trump would be a disaster. Every other day confirms my suspicions on this.

I've never wavered one iota. I'm 100% convinced Hillary Clinton would be a much better President and that the entire email "scandal" was overblown, along with Benghazi. Considering that Trump's team members, and apparently he, are using unsecured means of transmission, considering that he's already been worse in 2 weeks than Clinton was in 4 years as SOS, my judgment is absolutely confirmed as being right on target. And I'm gonna have the "I Told You So" on my side for 4 years b/c, yes, he's that much of an embarrassment.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Well yeah, a QB is obviously not going to throw an IG if he's not under pressure; that makes no sense. There is a difference between throwing it away intentionally to avoid a sack and the hit actually causing the ball to be thrown inaccurately. In this case, I thought it was fairly obvious he was going to Edelman and being dragged caused him to throw inaccurately to the left, and obviously the refs and I guess everyone else who was watching the game saw it the same way, since I don't think I've seen this brought up anywhere else.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sometimes, but not in this instance. The defensive pressure happens right in front of Brady and forces him to rush the throw. The only point of debate is whether or not there's a realistic chance of completion. IMO, since the ball lands ~8 yards away from the closest receiver and the fact that the receiver didn't know he was the intended target, there wasn't a realistic chance of completion.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

But there would have been a realistic chance of completion if he didn't get hit as he threw. If Brady threw it that way before the contact was made, then you'd have a case, but he was clearly already being dragged down as he threw. It's subjective and up to the refs to make that call, but I think it was fairly obvious.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

No offense, but it sounds like you don't fully understand the rule. Contact isn't required.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I fully understand the rule. I'm just saying refs never call IG when the actual contact of the pass rusher changes the path of the pass. Would you call intentional grounding if the quarterback was hit on the elbow as he threw and the ball sails elsewhere? It's a more extreme example but that's essentially what this situation is equivalent to. The refs saw that Brady had a target and made an honest attempt to throw at him, but was unable to make an accurate throw because he was getting dragged down. I don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Edelman's catch was cool, but there was an enormous amount of luck involved there.

Julio's was 100% pure skill. That dude is on another level.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I know you're fully aware of the rule, but let's go over it just for fun.

If the defender makes contact with the QB before the QB begins his throwing motion, then intentional grounding is potentially in play.

If the QB begins his throwing motion before contact occurs, then there's no chance of intentional grounding. Your elbow comparison isn't comparable at all b/c in your hypothetical, the QB is hit on the elbow as he throws the ball. In other words, he's already started his throwing motion. No chance of intentional grounding.

However, in regards to Brady, when the defender originally made contact with Brady, Brady hadn't started his throwing motion. Therefore, Brady being dragged down was irrelevant and a potential intentional grounding ruling was still in play.

Like I said before, the only point of debate is whether or not the ball landed in the vicinity of the receiver.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I guess this is where we are just seeing the same video differently. To me, he clearly started his throwing motion before the contact and as he was being dragged down to the left, he released the ball missing wildly left and apparently the refs saw it the same way.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for proving me right, that you are still upset, but this isn't the place for this kind of thing.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

[​IMG]

At this point, Brady hasn't begun his wind-up yet you're confident that he's "clearly started his throwing motion"?

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yep, a few frames later after that screenshot he has the ball all the way cocked back before he starts getting dragged down.

17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

the target doesn't have to be aware; there doesn't even have to be really a chance of them catching it, as long as the throw is in the vicinity of a receiver, which there was, they won't call PI just like how it was played out. Throws like this happen all the time such as the WR going wide and the QB thinking the WR will go inside on the route, which could have happened.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Intentional grounding normally doesn't involved throwing in the middle of 3 defenders.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

A prerequisite of intentional grounding is defensive pressure on the QB. If the QB isn't pressured and throws a bad pass, there's no intentional grounding.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why do you keep bringing up when Brady gets dragged down? It's irrelevant. All that matters is whether or not the defense has made contact with Brady before Brady begins his throwing motion.